Idle lockout in 1Password X on Firefox working properly?

Regarding the automatic idle lockout in 1Password X: What exactly is supposed to happen? Does the idle countdown reset any time there's an interaction involving 1Password X, including clicking the little icon that pops up in form fields? What happens after the idle lockout?

I ask because I just installed 1Password X and noticed that after my.1password.com signs out from inactivity, 1Password X dutifully offers to autofill my master password on the lock screen. Sure enough, it is happy to log itself back in if I tell it to (and I left the default 10 minute idle limit for both). This seems like it wouldn't be intended behavior.

(Not sure if it is relevant, but I am using Firefox on Ubuntu 18.04, so I am stuck logging in with my.1password.com for now.)

1Password Version: 1Password X 1.7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ubuntu 18.04 w/ Firefox 60.0.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dominickpastore: Thanks for reaching out. 1Password X gets idle time from the OS, but indirectly through the browser, and this is more problematic on Linux. It's a bit weird from a user perspective, but what you're describing is expected. The website cannot track activity at all unless you're actively using that tab, whereas 1Password X can know when you're active anywhere in the browser, and, to a large extent, the OS as well. Does that help? :)

• dominickpastore
    dominickpastore
    Community Member

@brenty: Thanks, that makes sense! So is the idea that 1Password X tries not to lock as long as you're actively using the computer at all? Is that different from standalone 1Password and the traditional browser extension? It seemed like those tracked idleness from whenever I filled a password or otherwise interacted with the app, but if I was just browsing without needing passwords, it would still lock out. But I could easily just be imagining that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, that makes sense! So is the idea that 1Password X tries not to lock as long as you're actively using the computer at all? Is that different from standalone 1Password and the traditional browser extension?

@dominickpastore: Exactly. It's just like our native 1Password apps (or, as close as we can make it). :)

It seemed like those tracked idleness from whenever I filled a password or otherwise interacted with the app, but if I was just browsing without needing passwords, it would still lock out. But I could easily just be imagining that.

I think you may have imagined some of that, but given the level of granular control available in the native apps you could have had it lock more or less aggressively depending on how you set it up.

• dominickpastore
    dominickpastore
    Community Member

@brenty I see. Thanks for all the clarification!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.