Rename Credit Cards to Bank Cards

Options
mujtaba_mir
mujtaba_mir
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Mac

Any chance "Credit Cards" in the categories section can be renamed to "Bank Cards" please? I have more debit cards added to the category than credit cards. It makes more sense to keep Bank Cards than Credit Cards, I can assume that a majority of other users feel the same.

1Password Version: 7.0.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

You'd be wrong to assume that in my case - it's quite a large assumption that most people in the world think the same as you.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I also vote No on such a change.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

NO for me too.

The preference may depend on where you live. I am always confused when visiting the USA when I get asked "Debit or Credit". when using a US bank card As far as I am concerned, living in the UK, I have a card issued by my bank and that is a debit card. I also have cards provided by other card issuers and they are credit cards. I have never had a card that is both a debit card and a credit card, and I don't know if any bank in the UK issues a card that is both debitand credit.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Having the ability to create custom categories is one of the most-often requested new features. It apparently isn’t simple to do.

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    Options

Im in the US and i think bank card makes more sense. Credit cards and debit cards have the same criteria and all are issued by multiple Banks or stores. I have both in that section and I don't see the need for two sections with the same data.

My .02

• Ben
    Options

@danco Most US debit cards are issued on the VISA or MasterCard network and can also have transactions processed on them as credit transactions. There are also many credit cards that are either linked to a bank account or will allow you to withdraw a cash advance against your credit. So the line is very blured.

This seems to be a situation where there is no “right” answer, and so I suspect for now keeping the status quo is the likely solution. That said, as hawkmoth mentioned, custom categories are something that is often requsted. It is something we’d like to do but haven’t been able to make any promises on.

Ben

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

I have lived in both the US and the UK and have had both credit and debit cars in both places. Debit cards and Credit cards do have similar information, but they are very different in function.

Store cards are actually credit cards.

However, to change the name from "credit" to "bank" just places the error the other way and does not really fix anything.

• Ben
    Options

Store cards are actually credit cards.

Some are, but I have also had some that are not. Some are not issued on a credit card network, and can only be used at the store that issues them. This is less and less common now, and I don’t personally have any anymore, but I have a family member who still has one for one of the major department stores. In these cases they typically operate more like a charge card than anything else (which is also another type of card that isn’t strictly a “credit” or “debit” card but has the same type of information).

However, to change the name from "credit" to "bank" just places the error the other way and does not really fix anything.

Agreed.

Ben

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben thanks for the clarification on the store cards - I have never had one of those :+1:

• Ben
    Options

Actually I lied. I do still have one... - the Amazon Store Card. This one is arguably a credit card as it requires a credit check and does allow you to keep a balance. It can only be used at Amazon, though, and as far as I can tell isn't issued on any of the credit card networks (VISA, MasterCard, American Express, etc). The lines can be very blurry. :)

Ben

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

that is a credit card...

• Ben
    Options

This is not the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card, which is a “true” credit card (on the VISA network), but yes, I suppose in many respects that is true.

Ben

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    Options

And what about cards issued by credit unions and other non-bank institutions? Those aren’t “bank” cards. :)

It could be a localization issue, but I’ve never referred to any of my cards as bank cards.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's a good point. I know I've heard that term, but can't think of the context. Certainly it may be more common in some places than others. :)

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

...we used to use "bank card" to mean cashpoint cards (before debit cards existed) so would be quite confusing to me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I don't know what "cashpoint" means, so it would certainly be confusing for me! I remember decades ago my bank offered what I called an "ATM card" because that's the only place it ever worked. I was so excited when they first came out with "debit" cards that worked through Visa or MasterCard network, because I could actually use it to buy stuff! :lol:

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

hahaha, yes a cashpoint card is an ATM card.

Cashpoint is/was UK terminology (you use the card at the point (place) where you can withdraw cash)

I don't think its used anymore as it merged into a debit card.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah. Okay, thank you. Now I understand. :chuffed:

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member
    Options

I understand from other posts that it is not easy to allow editing of the Category name.
    Would it be possible to keep the name but change display name to user defined?
    As an example in the above post, Credit Cards would be the "official" name for the software to use, but display for the user to see on any device could be Bank Cards or anything else user would type.
    Thank you

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Fairgame: Certainly that could be possible, but it opens a whole other can of worms when what you see is not what you get. A lot of people would just change the category name of an item and expect it to behave differently. And in the case of item types with very specific templates/purposes like Logins, it would be really frustrating to not have a "Login" fill. And not having a standard would also make it really confusing for consistency...and when people have questions. I have no real sense of what "Bank Cards" are, but I would be willing to bet that anyone knows what a "Credit Card" is, even if they happen to prefer a different term. ;)

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    Options

I use the Credit Cards category for items like gift cards and promo codes. I'm fine with the category name.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sameerchavan: That's like saying we should all get to name 1Password what we want too. In principle, there's nothing wrong with that. But in practice, it would be super confusing if you asked for help with it and I kept talking about Chinpunkanpun. :tongue:

• Ben
    Options

I don’t think that is a fair assessment. Unfortunately there are some things that just aren’t realistic or needlessly add complexity to the offering, and this may be one of them. We would like to add custom categories in the future but unless / until that happens I don’t see this being possible. Even if that does happen I don’t know that it would be possible to change the names of the built-in categories.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sameerchavan: Back when I was a more negative person, I also had a similar view of others, unnecessarily interpreting their words and actions negatively. So I get where you're coming from. I'm sorry you don't share my sense of humour, and apologize if I offended you by having one. Take care. :)

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

"Bank Card" is a more generic name that is applicable to both credit cards and debit cards. So on that basis I support the name change. But someone made the valid point that some are issued by credit unions, etc. so on that basis I don't. What if you "split the baby" and simply renamed it to "Debit/Credit Cards"?

This discussion has been closed.