Version 7 cloud icon on top right of app

IanDawson
IanDawson
Community Member

Anyone know why im getting a " \ " through the little cloud icon on the top right of the app, next to the padlock. I have a suspicion its to do with the same reason why i have a few Offline changes waiting in the left column. If so, could someone tell me what ports I need to open on my PCs firewall please ?

1Password Version: v7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 Pro
Sync Type: 1password Cloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@IanDawson: Indeed, it's because 1Password cannot contact the server. So you won't be able to get updates or sync changes in that case. This is most often caused by proxy. firewall, or "security" software that interferes with the secure connection, so adjusting that can help. What are you using?

• IanDawson
    IanDawson
    Community Member

F-Secure Protection Service for Business - Only need to know the relevant ports in TCP/UDP

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@IanDawson: I can't imagine it would be blocking HTTPS, but 443 should do it if that's really the case. Does that help?

• IanDawson
    IanDawson
    Community Member

uhm.. So no extra ports are needed other than the usual 80 and 443 outbound ? Could you tell me which URLs it needs to reach in case I'm blocking those somewhere on the external firewall please ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@IanDawson: There shouldn't be any requests going over port 80, unless your connection is redirecting through that, as 1Password uses HTTPS — 443. Everything will go through 1Password.com, unless you're using 1Password.eu or 1Password.ca instead for your account.

• IanDawson
    IanDawson
    Community Member

Ok, Iv'e found out more information on this issue. I'm usually connected to an internet VPN using F-Secure Freedome in an effort to make sure nobody can listen in on communications out to the internet like browsing, etc. I had an update to this system this morning, whilst updating it, the cloud icon disappeared. From that I decided to turn the VPN off briefly and to my surprise the crossed out cloud icon wasnt displayed. As soon as I turned on the VPN it comes back. Considering what you have said about traffic from the 1Password app going out purely in HTTPS (443) i'm kind of finding it somewhat hard to believe there isnt something else being blocked or perhaps a website being blocked via the VPN. I'll get onto F-secure support and let you know what i find out.

• IanDawson
    IanDawson
    Community Member

Just as a side thought, in case its something to do with GDPR protection, how would I check our company's 1Password data is held in the EU/UK and not in Canada ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@IanDawson: If you're using 1Password.ca, it's stored in Canada. If you're using 1Password.com, it's stored in the US. If you're using 1Password.eu, it's stored in Germany. Simple as that. :)

Regarding F-Secure, are you certain it isn't trying to do some sort of SSL/TLS/HTTPS "scanning"? That involves them setting up a self-signed certificate on the machine to decrypt all of your internet traffic. And 1Password will reject the connection in that case because it is not secure between you and our server.

ref: IIN-69169-926

• IanDawson
    IanDawson
    Community Member

Hi, Been through to F-Secures support, after some discussion and testing we have found the solution to my problem. https://www.howtogeek.com/265870/how-to-reset-your-entire-network-in-windows-10-and-start-from-scratch/ Needed to reset my network adapter, for whatever reason Windows had stacked something in my settings. It works now perfectly.. Ty for assisting.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad that helped. Really weird, my network adapter was just disabled "due to a problem", and I had to do the same to get it working. Technology is great, but can sometimes be inscrutable! Anyway, thanks for the update. That may help others as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.