Installed beta, unclear on what data it's using

jbs
jbs
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I've been using 1PW Win 4.6.2.626 for awhile. I sync via an agilekeychain folder in my Dropbox

A week or so ago I zipped a copy of my .agilekeychain folder and installed the beta of 1PW 7 to try it out.

I like the interface and functionality quite a lot but I'm very confused at the moment as to where my data is. Specifically I seem to be looking at an older version of my data -- 322 items whose most recent date modified is January 2017 whereas the database I'm using in 1PW4 is 484 items updated as of yesterday.

Obviously I don't plan on using both and I like "7" enough that I'll plan on purchasing it, but I can't find an "opvault" file/folder anywhere and so I'm really not sure what data I'm actually looking at, and I can't find anywhere in the software that shows me where the data is physically located on the drive.

Any suggestions or any idea what might be going on? And is the purchase/upgrade option for beta users currently live?

Thanks!

1Password Version: beta 7.0.558
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win7
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jbs: It sounds like you may have used an older version in the past and still have data there. In that case it would be best to reset the app and then set it up with your current data. There won't be an OPVault though unless you set it up to sync with a folder. The beta period for 7.0 is over, but you're welcome to purchase from within the app for the current price. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jbs
    jbs
    Community Member

Thanks brenty . . . I know the beta's over but as far as I could see there wasn't ever a place to purchase inside the beta. My understanding was that if you'd installed the betas (the last I used was 7.0.552 MD5 36EA944B27559DC5F40F470FFB891D46 then when we installed the release version we'd see beta pricing . . . is that not how it was supposed to work?

I don't recall having an earlier version installed but it's possible. Is there any way in the program to see where the current data file resides? I don't have any folders with "opvault" in the name or extension so I literally don't know where this data is on my drive.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks brenty . . . I know the beta's over but as far as I could see there wasn't ever a place to purchase inside the beta. My understanding was that if you'd installed the betas (the last I used was 7.0.552 MD5 36EA944B27559DC5F40F470FFB891D46 then when we installed the release version we'd see beta pricing . . . is that not how it was supposed to work?

@jbs: Sorry, the opposite was true: the beta discount was only available during the beta. Shoot us an email at sales@1password.com and post the Support ID here. We'll see what we can do to help.

I don't recall having an earlier version installed but it's possible. Is there any way in the program to see where the current data file resides? I don't have any folders with "opvault" in the name or extension so I literally don't know where this data is on my drive.

If you follow the instructions to reset the app, that will involve backing up the current data folder. That's where 1Password stores everything. An OPVault is only created when syncing with a folder, in Dropbox or otherwise.

• jbs
    jbs
    Community Member

Thanks, I found the %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password folder. If you don't mind one more question, is there a resource you can point me to hat explains what the difference is between opvault and %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\data?

I know my 1PW4 Windows stored data in the agilekeychain folder but if I use 1PW7 and want to sync via Dropbox to 1PW Android, can opvault now handle that? And is it just a matter of select Enable Sync and storing it in my Dropbox folder?

I've read
    https://blog.agilebits.com/2015/10/19/when-a-leak-isnt-a-leak/
    and this
    https://support.1password.com/getting-started-android/
    and a number of other resources on it but I'm afraid I'm still not clear and finding my data in the appdata folder just complicated things further.

Thanks again for the help.

• @jbs i can help with these folders and formats.

%localappdata%\1Password\data - this is your local data folder, application keeps your encrypted items in database there. What you see on screen/in browser is coming from that database. There is also a simple settings file user.json which is used to store few small bits like id of the last selected vault or window location.

.opvault folder is a sync format, they are used to sync over Dropbox. When you change item in the app, it's stored in local database and copy is stored in Dropbox. Your other devices will pickup changes from that folder and sync into their local databases.

.agilekeychain is an older sync folder format, it's not supported beyond conversion to .opvault or import into 1Password Account if you have one.

For your setup, when you open your .agilekeychain vault in 1Password 7 for Windows, it will be converted to .opvault and you need to point your Android device (and all other devices) to use .opvault folder on the Dropbox. Older folder is renamed to .legacyagilekeychain, but otherwise left untouched.

• jbs
    jbs
    Community Member

Thanks Sergey. That's very helpful.

Am I correct in thinking that the appdata folder is a change since 1PW4? It was always my understanding that the .agilekeychain folder was both the synchronizing copy AND the working copy of the data so to speak -- that there was only one copy of my data on the machine.

And since this was all extremely useful, if I can go one level deeper . . . how do VAULTS as defined in the application relate to either the appdata database or the .opvault folder. Does a new vault go in the existing database and .opvault folder or does each vault get a separate SQL and/or OPVAULT?

Question 1) Can I give someone else shared access to the Dropbox folder where my .opvault folder is and can they then open that vault (with my master password of course) to see my contents? That's the closest to how my wife and I currently share our data (we share the .agilebits folders via Dropbox and can open each other's folders if we need something). And if Q1 is a yes, could we do the same thing but using READ ONLY shared access in Dropbox so I could OPEN her database but not change anything?

Thanks again for the great insights!

• Yes @jbs, you are correct, 1Password 4 did not have local database and operated directly on synced folders.
    New vaults are created in local database, at the creation time you must provide folder where you want it to be synced. All your data is stored inside single database file.

If you give someone access and password to your vault on Dropbox - that person can access and modify any of your data. If that folder is readonly - 1Password will not be able to sync edits back to the folder, but you will be able to edit these items - they are stored inside your local database first. I'm not sure if you are aware of 1Password Membership - it gives more sharing options and, one of my favourites, you don't worry about making wrong edit - you can restore item back in time.

• jbs
    jbs
    Community Member

Thanks Sergey, this has been so helpful. I'm aware of 1Password Membership and have set it up for many of my clients (I'm in IT). If there was an upfront payment option I'd probably use that but like many in IT I like receiving RMR but not spending RMR :-)

I've now tested the multiple vaults and am getting a sense of how they work. It appears to me that my master password when opening 1PW7 will give me access to all the vaults that were open last time, even if they had a different password, is that correct? So you need the vault-specific password when you first open a vault but as long as it remains "logged in" to the local copy of 1PW7 it remains accessible? If I remove the vault I'll then need the vault-specific password next time I mount it? And while mounted, it will continue to sync with it's opvault folder even if I haven't entered the vault-specific password in weeks or months? To be clear, all this is fine and as I'd expect, I just want to make sure I understand it.

• Hi @jbs,

It appears to me that my master password when opening 1PW7 will give me access to all the vaults that were open last time, even if they had a different password, is that correct?

Yes, all vaults are imported into the local 1Password database that's protected with their own vault keys but the keys are re-encrypted with the master key protected by the master password. When you make changes, we'll decrypt the vault key and use it to encrypt the items that'll be pushed to the external sync file on disk. That is why you'll need to know the vault password to unlock it on the other computers.

So you need the vault-specific password when you first open a vault but as long as it remains "logged in" to the local copy of 1PW7 it remains accessible? If I remove the vault I'll then need the vault-specific password next time I mount it?

That is correct and to be clear, you're not mounting or logging in with standalone vaults.

When you open a standalone vault, you're importing the actual content of the vault into the local database, a table is used to hold these items together by this vault ID along with the vault encryption key. When you make changes in 1Password 7, 1Password export these items and re-encrypt them with the vault key to update the external vault file.

And while mounted, it will continue to sync with it's opvault folder even if I haven't entered the vault-specific password in weeks or months? To be clear, all this is fine and as I'd expect, I just want to make sure I understand it.

That is correct. To be clear, there are no vault password and master password stored anywhere, no 1Password apps have that information. When you enter your master password, 1Password generates a new decryption key based on it and then use it to unlock itself by grabbing the keys that were stored within the encrypted database.

The local database has access to the encryption key that is imported when you entered the vault password, so it doesn't need you to unlock each vault ever again.

This discussion has been closed.