I have a single licence key for 1P6 (for Mac) and have moved to a newer Mac (1P7); how do i add key?

Options
mooshk
mooshk
Community Member

Hi, i paid for a single licence key to use 1Password 6 on a Mac. I recently upgraded to a newer Mac and can only downloaded 1Password 7 from the Agilebits website. I cannot apply my licence key - it seems i can only take out a subscription which i do not need. Can you help please?

1Password Version: 7.0.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:setting up existing account on new laptop

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The first point to make is that 1Password 7 is a paid upgrade for those with the standalone version (as opposed to the subscription). However, the app itself is identical so you should be able to buy a licence by going to the 1Password 7 menu item which, if I recall correctly, provides the option to purchase a licence.

If you want to know the cost of the licence in advance take a look at this AgileBits' blog post—the relevant information is tucked away at the bottom of the article, and includes the following:

Those of you with a standalone license for version 6 will be prompted to subscribe or purchase a license when 1Password 7 first opens. Licenses will cost $64.99 but are available during our launch special for only $49.99. Licenses are per-person, per-platform so you can use your single license on as many Macs as you have.

Stephen

• mooshk
    mooshk
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks for your prompt reply Stephen. I'll consider this; in the meantime is there a way to simply download Version 6 to maintain the same version as i previously had?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You can get previous versions of 1Password from here (look under Legacy versions) but you may not need to do that. When you installed 1Password 7 it should have created for you, in your Applications folder, a zipped file of the 1Password 6 installation you had previously so you should be able to use that.

Stephen

• mooshk
    mooshk
    Community Member
    Options

Excellent - thanks again!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @mooshk! I'm glad @Stephen_C was able to assist -- his instructions were right on the money. If you need anything else, feel free to ask. Cheers! :)

• bonsaiboy
    bonsaiboy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks -this helped me too. Why wasn't pricing discussed more prominently in the email touting the new version? You guys usually lead with more transparency and integrity than that. Been a faithful customer for years and have never been disappointed with your product or communication support. Today I was.

• andydev
    andydev
    Community Member
    Options

Agree with bonsaiboy. Furthermore, is there no special pricing for previous members? that's disappointing.

For how long are you planning in supporting V6? What's the EOL?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @bonsaiboy! I'm not sure which email you're referring to, but if you're referring to standalone license pricing, we did discuss that in the blog post announcing 1Password 7 for Mac (and many of the successive comments). The pricing for 1password.com memberships has its own tab on our website and is also discussed in several blog posts as well. Also, the cost of a license is the same as it was for purchasing a new license for 1Password 6 for Mac. I'm sorry you felt disappointed, but I don't think we tried to hide the pricing. Can you give me an idea of what would've made this OK in your opinion?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@andydev -

Furthermore, is there no special pricing for previous members?

There is! :) We want to say thank you to everyone who has supported us all these years so during the launch period, licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac can be purchased for only $49.99, over 23% off the standard price of $64.99.

Regarding 1Password 6 for Mac, that product is still obviously "current" in the sense that it's only been a couple of weeks since we launched version 7. However, since a great deal of work went into the new version -- and it's now the official current version -- 1Password 6 can now be thought of as a "legacy" product. We will continue to support it just as we do customers who come to us running OS X Lion (because their hardware cannot upgrade past that) and therefore 1Password 3 for Mac. But with every passing week, we will recommend more and more strongly that people not continue to use outdated versions of either OS or of 1Password, as these are essentially "frozen in time."

• bonsaiboy
    bonsaiboy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I'll admit I haven't kept up with reading your blog posts. (Frankly, I wonder what percentage of your customer base has).
    I'm referring to the blast email sent by Dave Teare today around 2pm announcing the availability of the upgrade -which contained no information about pricing strategy or standalone license/subscription needed. Am I wrong on that?
    Thanks. I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm trying to give constructive feedback.
    Peace.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bonsaiboy - Thought you might be meaning that one. :) While I understand your position, this isn't the official announcement of the launch. That actually occurred a couple of weeks ago, on May 22. That's why the blog post I linked in my above reply has that same date, as do many news articles from that same day.

The newsletter we send out goes only to those 1Password users who have proactively opted-in to it, and is more of an insider-behind-the-scenes look at what's happened and what's to come, rather than an official price announcement or list. So you're not wrong that the email didn't include any of the pricing, but that's because it wasn't intended to.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The newsletter also links directly to the Mac and Windows version 7 announcements on the blog, which includes pricing information along with a rundown of what you get, and which Lars also referenced above. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.