1Password X Safari

Makes perfect sense to start with Chrome but surprised Firefox was next versus Safari. Is there somewhere to follow the progress for Safari development or is their a technical limitation where it won't support Safari anytime soon?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@heavymark: We don't have anything in the works for Safari currently (unless Apple announced some big Safari extension improvements in a WWDC session that I'm not aware of, and one of our developers there started working on this within the past 20 hours or so), as it's missing a lot of the features that Chrome and Firefox have which 1Password X uses heavily. Hopefully we'll be able to find a way to get 1Password X working there in the future. I wouldn't hold my breath, but we'd like that very much too. :)

• heavymark
    heavymark
    Community Member

I believe the big news was they are completely depreciating Safari Extensions, so for instance 1Password browser extensions currently no longer work at all in Safari on 10.14. And instead all devs will have to developer Safari App Extensions. So imagine they may change things a lot, however, not sure at all if that change is for the good or worse in regards to the technical limitations you mentioned. Thanks for getting back so quickly. Pumped about the major Safari Password API annoucement as well to use 1P logins natively on iOS at least.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@heavymark: Indeed, that would have an effect on the landscape. "Deprecating" means they will go away, but it doesn't appear that they're being dropped entirely yet. It may be bad news as far as having a self-contained extension in Safari, but Safari app extensions will hopefully enable some things which weren't possible with the (now-very-old) Safari browser extension APIs. I think for now the best approach is to see how things develop in macOS over the coming months. Still a lot that's unknown (or under NDA), and much work to be done either way. :)

• heavymark
    heavymark
    Community Member

I believe in this case by depreciating they mean immediately for 10.14 and iOS 12 in regards to installing extensions such as the beta extensions. But sounds like you will still be able to install any app available in the old gallery for the time being but they will no longer accept new submissions after December. https://developer.apple.com/safari/whats-new/ But I assume beta testing on the mac with 1P can resume for 10.14 once a Safari App Extension is released. WWDC always certainly knows how to shake things up. Very exciting.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@heavymark: Exciting indeed... and confusing because the 1Password extension still works. They just tell you it won't. So we'll have to wait and see. :) :+1:

• heavymark
    heavymark
    Community Member

Sorry for all the posts today, just one more follow up clarification. Are you saying there is still a way to install 1Password "Beta" Safari Extension on macOS 10.14? I assumed not, since you can't install downloadable extensions anymore (only ones from the gallery or app store) and I assume Beta's are not allowed in the gallery or app store?

All so new so imagine everyone is still figuring everything else, but saw your last comment and was curious if that means the Beta's can still be used on 10.14.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@heavymark: Correct. Apple doesn't allow betas in the Safari extension gallery, so it's just the stable there. But just for clarification, either the stable or beta extensions will work with either the stable or beta 1Password apps. Where the beta can be installed fro your website, it will work. But this should become moot once we switch to a Safari app extension that's packaged with the app, both stable and beta. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No one knows. Maybe it will be possible in the future, but Safari is sufficiently different to Chrome and Firefox (with both use the WebExtensions standard as a foundation for their extension support) that it can't simply run 1Password X.

• JustLogin
    JustLogin
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

But are there plans to at least move 1Password X features to 1Password app? For example, on Safari I'm really missing the 1Password icon near the field and a fill form as a dropdown menu just above the field. Same with the suggested passwords

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

@JustLogin - it doesn't really work that way. As brenty said, Safari relies upon entirely different code -- and they've pursued a different path than some of the technologies upon which 1Password X is built (WebExtensions, which are present in Firefox and Chrome), so it's not a matter of just "porting" 1Password X over to Safari.

That said, we do try for feature parity across our apps/products when possible, but in the same way that macOS will never be Windows and there will therefore always be differences in how the two look and function (some greater and some smaller) so it is with differences in browsers. We'd love to bring 1Password X-like functionality to the Safari App Extension - or something else that will work in Safari, but I've nothing to announce about that at present. We'll keep evaluating the situation, however, so stay tuned. :)

This discussion has been closed.