Issues migrating to 1Password 7

kbrogz
kbrogz
Community Member

Until today, I was running off of the latest 1Password 6 for Mac. The app didn't prompt me to update, so I downloaded the new 1Password 7 for Mac onto my computer today from the App Store. I logged in as usual with my regular master password. It asked me to create a new opvault, and I did that. I saw all of my stored information, but it was all read-only. As a longtime user, I read that I either needed to buy a subscription or buy a new license, so I signed up for the free subscription through the app. When prompted to enter my master password during sign up, I entered a new one (which I'm not sure I was supposed to do). I then went onto my iPhone 7 and into my 1Password app to check the sync settings and I did something I don't remember. I then signed into my new subscription account on my iPhone and it prompted me to delete my old vault. I hit cancel because I thought I was messing something up at this point. My vault on my Mac then had duplicates of everything (it's in view all vaults mode, so I'm seeing the new Personal vault and the old Primary vault. I have a third shared vault which I created a while ago and isn't used). I can log into 1Password on my Mac using either my regular master password from my old vault or the new master password I created today when I signed up for the subscription.

I would like to properly consolidate the two vaults into one, have one master password to log in, and then, if possible, no longer use Dropbox as my sync type if I don't have to (and delete the third shared vault that isn't used). I am probably missing a detail or two in my description above, sorry...my memory is terrible!

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @kbrogz! Sorry for the confusion in getting upgraded. Let's get you sorted out. :)

It asked me to create a new opvault, and I did that.

Yup, this is what will happen if you're using Dropbox for your sync method, with an older Agile Keychain. The Agile Keychain format has been sunset, which is why 1Password 7 converted you over.

When prompted to enter my master password during sign up, I entered a new one (which I'm not sure I was supposed to do).

It's up to you. If you felt like your older Master Password was sufficiently strong, and not compromised, you could've re-used it...but there's nothing stopping you from creating a new one.

My vault on my Mac then had duplicates of everything (it's in view all vaults mode, so I'm seeing the new Personal vault and the old Primary vault...I can log into 1Password on my Mac using either my regular master password from my old vault or the new master password I created today when I signed up for the subscription.

That shouldn't be the case. In any instance of 1Password, only one Master Password should be able to unlock your data. Can you confirm this for us?

I would like to properly consolidate the two vaults into one, have one master password to log in, and then, if possible, no longer use Dropbox as my sync type if I don't have to (and delete the third shared vault that isn't used).

You're actually a lot closer than you think. If you've migrated your data from your old Primary vault into your new 1password.com account's Personal vault, then all you need to do is delete the older Primary vault. Here's how you can check. Visit https://start.1password.com/signin in a browser and sign into your new 1Password account there. Check the data that you see -- this is the data that's in your Personal vault. If it look identical to the data you had been using in your old Primary vault (and you haven't been making changes/additions since then), you should be good to go.

• In 1Password 7 for Mac, click on the vault menu (the icon at the top left of the main window of 1Password -- you should see the Primary vault, the unused secondary vault, and your Personal vault for your account. Click the unused secondary vault to select it.
    • In the menubar, choose Vault > Delete (name-of-vault) Vault, like this:

• Back in 1Password 7's main window, visit Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts**. This will remove the Primary vault.

That should take care of everything, and leave you running with just your 1password.com account's Personal vault on your Mac. On your iPhone, please visit Settings > Advanced, scroll down to the bottom and tap "Erase all 1Password Data" in red. This will do what it says - delete all your data - and then quit 1Password for iOS. Re-launch it from your phone's home screen, and it will be as if you are a new user. Sign into your account, and you'll have the same, current, data everywhere! :)

• cfhumble
    cfhumble
    Community Member

I am having a similar problem. I upgraded to 1Password 7 on my Mac, but it was a struggle. Took hours to figure out how to log in, but finally solved that, only to discover I have a Personal Vault, but no Primary Vault that is synced with iCloud and contains all my data. I tried adding a local personal vault, but that did nothing. I still have the old 1Password on all my iOS devices, so still have access to the Primary Vault. I just can't figure out how to sync that up to my 1Password 7. This can't be that hard, but I need some help here. I've written to Tech Support begging for some help, but so far only the "we'll get back to you someday" auto reply. Meanwhile, I don't know whether to start re-entering my 200+ passwords in 1Password 7 or switch to a different product. Help!

• b_c_f
    b_c_f
    Community Member

This upgrade has been a huge hassle for me so far as well. I upgraded to the new product and can't find any of my old passwords, and no hint on this forum how to find the requisite file or successfully pull from icloud.

• kbrogz
    kbrogz
    Community Member

@Lars thank you so much! Everything worked as you described. Just to confirm for you, before I changed anything I tried to log in with both master passwords and only my original one worked.

So I no longer need Dropbox or another method like iCloud for any syncing, correct? Should I have a backup of my data on an external hard drive or anything like that?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

Welcome to the forum, @cfhumble! Sorry for the confusion.

I've written to Tech Support begging for some help, but so far only the "we'll get back to you someday" auto reply.

As you might imagine with the near-simultaneous launch of both 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows, we're experiencing a bit of a backlog in our email support queues. We try to take them in the order they were received, but I apologize for the unusual wait time. However, I was also unable to find any email support requests for you from this email address that were less than two years old. It looks as if you might have used a different email address to contact our support team there. The automated reply from our BitBot assistant should have included a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that we "connect the dots."

When you upgraded to 1Password 7, your 1Password 6 data should have been converted automatically, though it does depend to some degree on how exactly you went about upgrading. If you followed the published upgrade steps, it should've converted, at any rate.

Presuming you had only ever used either the Mac App Store version of 1Password or the version from our website, you should have seen the following screen at the beginning:

This is the "Welcome" screen -- does it seem familiar? From there, if you had a standalone license previously and wanted to keep it that way, the option to click would have been "Need a license? We have those, too", which would have allowed you to purchase a standalone license and import your data.

Took hours to figure out how to log in, but finally solved that, only to discover I have a Personal Vault, but no Primary Vault that is synced with iCloud and contains all my data.

However, the above ^^ means that at the welcome screen, it sounds as if you chose the "Subscribe today" option instead, and pursued the path of switching from a standalone setup to a 1password.com account. I say this because unless you named a vault of your own "Personal" intentionally at some point in the past, the presence of a vault named "Personal" means you created a 1Password account. If you did that, the next screen you should have seen would have been the one thing we need to get started creating you a 1password.com account -- your email address:

After that, you'd have received a six-digit confirmation code, which you would have entered into the next screen, which looks like this

From there, the rest of the process of setting up a new account would have included entering your name and creating a Master Password for this new account. But upon completion of everything, 1Password 7 for Mac would have opened and asked you for the Master Password from your old 1Password data in 1Password 6, not the new one you just created (like this):

I still have the old 1Password on all my iOS devices, so still have access to the Primary Vault. I just can't figure out how to sync that up to my 1Password 7...I don't know whether to start re-entering my 200+ passwords in 1Password 7.

Definitely not! You can get your iCloud vault contents transferred over to your new 1password.com account pretty easily, but before we go down that road, can you answer a couple of questions for me:

• Was it your intention to create a 1password.com account? If so, we'll continue. If not, we can revert to an older, standalone iCloud sync setup.
    • If you look in your Personal vault in 1Password 7, do you see any items in it? Or is that vault mostly empty (in other words: did the transfer take place or not)? Thanks in advance for your response.
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @b_c_f! I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble upgrading to 1Password 7; let's get things straightened out. First of all, if you open 1Password Preferences > Vaults, can you tell me everything you see there (just the vault names), or if you prefer, you can take a screenshot of that Preferences window. Can you also tell me what version of 1Password you were using previously, along with any other relevant steps you took that you think I should know? Thanks in advance.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@kbrogz - that's excellent news! I'm so glad I was able to assist.

So I no longer need Dropbox or another method like iCloud for any syncing, correct?

That's right. All your sync will now be taken care of through 1password.com. You have access to all four of our native applications (for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android), so if you add a new device or switch devices, just download the proper version from our downloads page, install it, and sign into your account. You printed out your Emergency Kit, right? If not, do that now, so you don't risk getting locked out of your own account.

Should I have a backup of my data on an external hard drive or anything like that?

Nope. All backups are done for you on the 1password.com server as well, redundantly. That means: spread out over different physical servers, so there's virtually no chance you'll ever be without your data. :)

• b_c_f
    b_c_f
    Community Member

Thanks for the response @Lars . I was eventually able to resolve my issue. When version 7 installed it automatically uninstalled version 6. To effect the migration I had to reinstall 6 and go into preferences to find the location of the data files required for migration. I also signed into my new 1password subsciption account in version 6. With both versions open side by side, I was able to use information from version 6 to import the data into version 7. Everything has worked well so far. However, without this manual step, nothing I did worked to automatically migrate information from the old version to the new. Seems like this process should be much easier...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@b_c_f - I agree, it certainly should have been much easier than it sounds like it was for you. I wish I could have seen the exact steps you took so I can see either where you turned off the indicated path, or where we did something wrong -- but at this point, I'm happy things are working well in your estimation. If you haven't yet, make sure you delete 1Password 6 -- you really don't want to run those two side-by-side, as that can cause significant issues. And let us know if you need anything else! :)

• cfhumble
    cfhumble
    Community Member

Hi Lars,
    And I hope I'm doing this right. If not, just blame my lack of forum chops. And sorry, but this has been stressful. I figured that you had a few things going :) And I do appreciate getting back to me. My case number is [#TSM-89683-551] or at least that's what's in the to: line from your support team.

I believe you have correctly outlined what I did. And, yes the Personal vault was created automatically. And, I've made some progress while waiting to hear from someone, even though I didn't do this right. But, I want to make it right and now I'm afraid to make any changes or delete anything. I went into my applications folder on my Mac and found a Zip filed from yesterday. I figured, what the heck, and clicked it. Miraculously it brought back my old 1Password app which was linked to my original Primary vault. Then, after a couple of tries, I was able to add the account that I created which added the Personal vault. Then I Googled how to move from one vault to another and that worked. So, I've started to slowly copy my data over to the Personal vault. The Personal vault also appears on my other devices (2 iPads, iPhone).

Let me answer your questions:

• Was it your intention to create a 1password.com account? If so, we'll continue. If not, we can revert to an older, standalone iCloud sync setup.
    • If you look in your Personal vault in 1Password 7, do you see any items in it? Or is that vault mostly empty (in other words: did the transfer take place or not)? Thanks in advance for your response.

It was not my intention to create a 1password.com account and only did that because I thought doing so might give me access to my data again. Remember, when I installed 1Password 7, it wiped out my previous account. So, I thought this was just some trick to get me to sign up for an account and reluctantly plunked down the $36. However, now that I'm there, I'm open the possibility, especially if it provides additional benefits, like letting my wife use 1Password and any other benefits there are. My understanding is that all data will be stored on your servers. Does that mean if I'm not connected to the internet I can't get to my information? That wouldn't be good. Also, if there's no personal backup, then, that's also concerning for the very reason of what just happened. I realize now that it was never lost, but since I couldn't connect to it, it might as well have been.

Yes, the Personal vault in 1Password 7 was empty, utility I started manually re-entering data off my phone. Then I discovered that I could copy it from one vault to another, once I reinstated my old version of 1Password. The transfer didn't take place and I'm not sure where I went wrong on that.

So, here's where I'm at: Out of a panic state because I can access my data and I can move my password info over to the Personal vault, assuming that makes sense. But, I want to get this all resolved and cleaned up across all my devices. Right now, I'm running both 6 and 7 on my Mac and only 6 on the iOS devices though they somehow seem to now have the Personal vault on them and are syncing.

Questions:
    What if I just deleted 7 and, assuming I want it, just start over again? Then, I could maybe figure out how to do this correctly and get it to automatically grab my data from the Primary vault? As I understand it, 7 is only a good idea if you want to use the new file storage method because it doesn't work with the old Primary vault. I can do some quick research on that or you can tell me why I should keep it and I'm inclined to do that. Eventually, I assume, that'll be the only way 1Password is sold.

I want to get down to one version of 1Password across my devices because using two is silly and confusing. I also want to take the most disruptive path and do it right so that it won't blow up on me if I stumble into something that seems to work, but will result in a "you shouldn't have done it that way" down the road.

So, I'm forever grateful for you quick diagnosis of my problem and willingness to help. I'm glad I was able to get somewhere and I look forward to becoming a happy camper 1Password customer again. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hey @cfhumble - thanks for the the thoughtful reply. There's quite a bit to address in it, as well as some that you wrote via email, and since this will involve some discussion of your personal 1Password setup that probably shouldn't be on this public forum, let's continue the conversation over there, if you don't mind. Honestly, the "quite a bit" has more to do with answering the questions you raised than any kind of super-thorny problem; the actual solution itself is likely to be pretty straightforward. One of us will be with you shortly.

ref: PIP-84357-826

• cfhumble
    cfhumble
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Is "over there" the forum? I thought that's where we were. Once again forum klutz here. If you need me to go somewhere or do something, be more explicit. I can use a computer, but not so much on all the lingo. And again, thanks so much for the help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cfhumble - no, I meant via email. I'll respond to you there shortly. :)

• cfhumble
    cfhumble
    Community Member

Making great progress, but not quite there. Situation:

• All iOS devices moved to new Personal (membership) vault, using 1Password 6
    • Mac 1Password 6 using new Personal vault, but still have 1Password 7 (accessing Personal vault) on Mac, which you said was bad.
    • To get rid of 1Password 6, do I just delete it in the Applications folder of Finder and remove the Safari extension for it?

How should I upgrade to iOS 7? This shouldn't be hard, just update it and link to Personal vault, right? But, given all the mishaps so far, I'm a bit reluctant to do that.

Sorry I'm such a pain, but I'm definitely on the last mile of hand-holding I hope.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@chfumble - replied to you via email; let's make sure we keep the conversation over there, as having to coordinate responses among multiple people over multiple channels of communication slows down the support times for everyone, including you. Thanks. :)

• Tom_S_H
    Tom_S_H
    Community Member

Updated to 1P7 for Mac. Generally working although still some issues. Question on Mac do I need to delete, uninstall 1P6 or just leave it? I assume iPhone and iPad automatically keep current when updating.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2018

@Tom_S_H

You can delete 1Password 6. On iOS 1Password 7 is not a separate SKU, and if you’re running a modern version of iOS you’ve likely already been running 1Password 7 for some time. :)

Ben

ref: DGM-57683-222

This discussion has been closed.