Quit option not working on Mac for 1Password 7

Options
tzm41
tzm41
Community Member

I have noticed that command+Q as well as "Quit 1Password" option in menu isn't quitting the application since early beta version. It is still not fixed in the stable 7.0 version.

1Password Version: 7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• tzm41
    tzm41
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Oh never mind, I found: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/90255/cant-quit-1password-7

It is very confusing to say at least, calling it an expected behavior... The expected behavior for command+Q or "Quit 1Password" option in menu is the app terminating, as least for a normal user.

With the main window open and I type command+Q, nothing happens at all, and the main window stays visible. How is that "mini only UI" mode? Could you please add an option in the preference to allow simple quitting of the app using cmd+Q shortcut?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tzm41,

When you say quit are you wanting the entire 1Password to terminate, so literally no component running, no ability to fill?

If I have the main 1Password 7 window open then for me ⌘Q closes the window but leaves 1Password running in the background as evident by the icon in the macOS menubar. Is it this that you want and it isn't happening for you?

• tzm41
    tzm41
    Community Member
    Options

That’s not happening for me. Window doesn’t get closed and remains visible.

• tzm41
    tzm41
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah but ideally, I want an option in the preferences to choose between two behaviors of cmd Q, whether to minimize it or to quit all together.

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member
    Options

I am having this same experience. agilebits keeps saying this is expected behavior but it doesn't seem like it should be. The app is not closing the main window UI and the running indicator on the dock icon is not going away indicating the app was quit.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tzm41 - thanks for the clarification. The keyboard shortcut ⌘Q is a universal Mac key combo for "Quit." But in the case of an application like ours, we had to make a decision regarding whether "Quit" meant (as littlebobbytables mentioned) quitting all running processes including the 1Password Extension Helper (mini), leaving nothing running, or whether "Quit" meant "close this main application window, but leave 1Password running as a menubar application." We chose the latter, since it most-closely mimics what people expect from our application (and others with menubar functionality). If you're wanting to hard-quit all processes in 1Password, leaving nothing running, the keyboard sequence ^⌥⌘Q (control + option + command + quit) will work. Or just hold down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu. Hope that helps. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iceout - Can you restart your Mac, please, and then open up 1Password 7 and try using the ⌘Q keyboard shortcut to quit 1Password? It should close the main window, leaving the menubar icon visible (running). Let us know what you discover.

• tzm41
    tzm41
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah I get that so I was asking if there could be an option to choose, since I don’t keep 1Password running in the background. But, the shortcut isn’t closing the main window. In fact it does nothing to the app. Restarting my Mac doesn’t help either.

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars The issue was related to the Extension Helper setting on the Browsers tab in Preferences. 1Password7 seemed to be sticking on this setting. I am unable to keep this box unchecked but when it is checked quitting the app behaves as you have been describing. I had to keep checking and unchecking that box to eventually get it to keep the setting.

I am curious as to why I am not able to uncheck the box and keep it unchecked. Should I be able to uncheck this box and it stay unchecked?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iceout - you should definitely be able to (un)check that box and expect the settings to be remembered. Not sure why that seems not to be the case in your setup. I hate to go all tech support cliché on you, but that sounds like something a restart might help with. Give that a shot, perhaps, and let us know what you discover?

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member
    Options

a restart does not help, the checkbox still does not stay unchecked

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tzm41 - we place a really high bar for adding new preferences, toggles and pop-ups because 1Password is already not the most simple program in the world by its very nature, so adding yet more such settings is something we do only when it seems like something a) needed and b) by a lot of users. My guess is you won't be seeing such a preference, but I'll pass your wishes along. If you're not able to quit the main window by using ⌘Q, however, that's an indicator that something's amiss. Do you have any keyboard modifiers or the like running on your Mac?

• tzm41
    tzm41
    Community Member
    Options

It quits other apps fine so I’m guessing it isn’t a problem of keyboard modifiers.

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

@tzm41 i was having the same problem until i started messing with the Extension Helper setting on the Browsers tab in Preferences. go in there and turn it off or on or which ever and close and reboot and all those fun steps but just change that setting a couple times and see if that shakes it loose like it did for me. Of course as I mentioned in a previous post I am not able to keep this box unchecked even though at one point the app seemed to think it was unchecked.

• tzm41
    tzm41
    Community Member
    Options

@iceout thanks! I’ll try that. I don’t use the extension helper at all so…

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tzm41 - you don't use filling into the browser at all? What do you use - cut and paste for every website? Just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing, here.

• tzm41
    tzm41
    Community Member
    Options

I actually use iCloud Keychain most of the time in my browser, since I use Safari on Mac and iPhone. But for some websites that don’t support dashes in their password, I use 1Password to generate password. I also keep a backup for most logins I have in 1Password, plus their additional info like recovery code or security questions, as well as my credit card info etc.

• rstewart
    rstewart
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

After updating to v7 this evening, I'm seeing the behavior described above: if I uncheck the "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running" option under Preferences > Browsers, it simply comes back checked again when I re-open Preferences, and I cannot find a way to actually quit the application, including using "Quit" from both the application menu and from the dock icon. The only way I've found to quit the app is to use "Force Quit" from the apple menu. I've rebooted twice and the behavior remains.

For what I primarily use 1Password for, I don't want the extension helper always running in the background, and I want to be able to open the app when I need it and close it when I am done.

• tzm41
    tzm41
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

The development team seems adamant about this behavior being “expected”. I’m pretty sure it confuses more users than the ones voicing their concerns on the forum here. It also doesn’t fit everyone’s use case. I hope they could modify it, or at least provide an option to toggle its behavior.

I understand some members on the design team might think they know better than the users what they need. But sometimes user feedback is important too.

@rstewart your use case is exactly the same as mine. I don't use the helper, and I open the app when I need it and close it when I'm done. But here we are getting told "we are using the app wrong", even though we paid the same to use the app.

• tzm41
    tzm41
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars well, even if your "right way to use the app" is indeed valid, the app still isn't doing what you designed it to do, since cmd+Q does nothing and closes no window whatsoever, at least for a couple users in this thread. Before telling us to "restart the Mac" or "check the keyboard modifiers", could you at least ask your QA team to reproduce it? I don't mean to be sensitive but this attitude doesn't really leave a good taste in my mouth.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

@tzm41

The development team seems adamant about this behavior being “expected”

Not sure what behavior you're referring to. There are a couple of issues here in this thread so far that I can discern: the first is the preferences checkbox reverting to a previous state after being checked. That's a bug, and there's an issue already filed for it. Apologies for that one. If that's what you were referring to, then no, that's definitely not expected -- as I mentioned above: ("you should definitely be able to (un)check that box and expect the settings to be remembered.").

The second one is your wish to have ⌘Q quit the entire app, instead of ^⌥⌘Q -- that's something for which there isn't a "right" answer (nor is either way of doing it a "bug"). If that's what you're referring to - why we don't do things the way you expect/wish we'd do them - we do take our users' wishes into account. I apologize if it seemed like I was telling you or others that their preference for this was "wrong"; I was simply pointing out that it's only "wrong" in the sense that it isn't the way it's been implemented in 1Password 7 and thus won't work. We'll certainly take your wishes and experience under advisement on this issue: that's why we run these forums, in part: to hear what users think about various features in 1Password. However, frequently, we get 180° opposite requests on an issue: which group should we disappoint then? My point here is that there are a lot of factors and wishes to take into account for nearly every aspect of 1Password, and with a customer base that's the more than a few hundred users, not everyone is going to be satisfied no matter what decision we ultimately make. But we do appreciate you being willing to take the time to voice your views and your preferences.

ref: apple-196

• tzm41
    tzm41
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

@Lars Thank you. I’m not proposing replacing the behavior of cmd Q by default to quitting the whole app, just asking for an option to choose from. I haven’t seen people here complaining “there are too many checkboxes in the preferences pane”, but I have seen some here saying they find this quitting behavior very confusing, so I would be appreciative if you really mean it when you say agilebits takes user feedback into account.

For the “bug” that I was referring to, I clarified that it means cmd Q isn’t closing the main window in the post above.

For the proposed solution (using command control option Q to quit), it isn’t really indicated anywhere in the app that this is the real Quit, plus it is so similar to commmand option shift Q which logs out the user, I don’t think it’s a very good workaround. But I understand there are different priorities for agilebits, so I’m just putting my thoughts out there.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tzm41 - thanks for engaging and sharing your thoughts. :) :+1:

• jordanangle
    jordanangle
    Community Member
    Options

Changing the expected cmd-Q behavior on any Mac app is just a bad idea. I shouldn't have to do a Google search, especially as an engineer in the tech industry with 20 years of experience, to figure out how to actually quit 1Password. I understand why you guys thought this was a good idea, but it just creates confusion.

• jordanangle
    jordanangle
    Community Member
    Options

P.S. The Mac App Store also couldn't run the update today because of the persistent state of the app. This is bad behavior all the way around, even if you guys had the best of intentions.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @jordanangle! Thanks for weighing in on this subject. :)

This discussion has been closed.