Mac v6 no longer working and lost passwords and access to account and backup

Options
TejaBell
TejaBell
Community Member

on a Mac Pro, been using 1password since 2015, tried v7 and didn't want it so deleted it, now v6 won't register and recognize my account.
really need this working my business (and personal digital life) depends on all those passwords and account info.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Mac v6 no longer working and lost passwords and access to account

Comments

• TejaBell
    TejaBell
    Community Member
    Options

Mac pro 10.12.6 1password 6
    Mac v6 no longer working and lost passwords and access to account

• marvso
    marvso
    Community Member
    Options

Same Here. It wiped out my v6. It said it would leave a copy of v6 if I wanted to try it out but alas, it is gone.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

For anyone reading this thread, when you install 1Password 7 it should create for you, in your Applications folder, a zipped copy of your 1Password 6 installation. You should be able to revert to that by:

• In 1Password 7, going to 1Password 7 > Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data
    • Then quitting 1Password 7 completely by pressing control + option + command + Q.
    • Then double clicking on the 1Password 6.zip file to restore the 1Password 6 installation.

Warning: I do not use the 1Password.com subscription service (I have a standalone licence) so am unsure whether this works as advised if you had an existing account on that service when you installed 1Password 7.

Stephen

• TejaBell
    TejaBell
    Community Member
    Options

Thank You Stephen C ~ that works and gets me back work!
    much appreciated _/_
    Teja

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @marvso and @TejaBell! I see @Stephen_C has once again beaten me to the punch (thanks! :) ) with the correct answer. 1Password 7 for Mac does not "wipe out" your version 6 installation. It leaves all the version 6 data intact (because 1Password 7 stores data in a different location in your Library folder on your hard drive, there's no need to touch the version 6 data), and it creates a zip file of your actual 1Password 6 for Mac application, which you'll find in your Applications folder right underneath 1Password 7. Just make sure you Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then deleting version 7. Finally, double-click the 1Password 6.app.zip file to re-open it, and all should be as it was.

• backpacker048
    backpacker048
    Community Member
    Options

If I return to 1Password v6, will it be supported in the future - or am I delaying the inevitable?

• Ben
    Options

@backpacker048

1Password 6 is no longer being updated, so while you’re welcome to use it for as long as it works for you it seems wise to move forward with the latest version. I see you replied to the other thread we’ve been working on and one of us will be in touch ASAP.

Thanks.

Ben

• TejaBell
    TejaBell
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, Love 1Password, and @Stephen C had the right answer! of course you would have too Lars, many thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TejaBell - Thank YOU for being a 1Password user. :) :+1:

• Tigre12
    Tigre12
    Community Member
    Options

I installed and remove 1PW 7 twice and , as said, it zips all 1PW 6 data.
    My question is: in both installations, after launching 1PW 7, I got no application window, just the menubar and that's it.
    Is it normal or is there something wrong?
    Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

@Tigre12 -without a little more information, it's difficult to say exactly. The 1Password mini ("extension helper") will always be running in your Mac's menubar. The 1Password 7 main application window won't be when you (re)start up your Mac, unless you specifically put it in your Startup Items in System Preferences. But double-clicking 1Password 7 from your Applications menu will launch the main app's main window, if you need it. Does that happen for you? And is all your data inside 1Password 7?

ref: DZQ-75269-582

• rgevans871
    rgevans871
    Community Member
    Options

I paid my $50 for the 7 version to avoid the frustration as some are having in trying to go back to 6, but I'm a disappointed with Agile Bits. I think this roll out was deceptive in it certainly wasn't made clear about having to buy a new license. I will be more careful about future downloads. As the saying goes, 'the first time I'm deceived, it's your fault, the second time it's my fault'.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rgevans871 - I'm sorry for the confusion. Since people began owning personal computers, the standard software industry licensing model has been free updates in-version (5.5 to 5.6, etc), but upGRADES (like 5.6 to 6.0) are typically paid. Yes, there are other ways to distribute and charge for software, but we don't explain this because it's pretty well understood.

That said, we want satisfied customers, not users who feel trapped or deceived. If you'd like, we'd be happy to refund your purchase and deactivate your license for 1Password 7 for Mac, and you can return to 1Password 6 for Mac for as long as it continues to work with browsers and macOS that keep getting updates. If you'd like to pursue that option, shoot us an email at sales@1password.com and include a link to this thread, and one of us will get you squared away. Thanks! :)

• darwinosx
    darwinosx
    Community Member
    Options

1password 7 is locked and unusable to me no thanks to agile bits so I've been using 1 Password 6 but now it says its a trial version.
    How do I fix that?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@darwinosx - A few questions for you: why is 1Password 7 for Mac "locked and unusable?" Would you like to be able to upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac? If so, let's concentrate on getting that working. If you'd prefer to stick with 1Password 6 for Mac or you're using hardware or versions of macOS that aren't recent enough to use 1Password 7 for Mac, then the way to remove the trial warning from version 6 would be to find your existing license file and double-click it to apply it.

This discussion has been closed.