update...but I am told I have more then one copy of 1 Password.

Isaiah
Isaiah
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Mac

Today I received notice that there is an update for 1PW. So I went to install the update but was informed that there is more then one copy of
1PW. It shows only one extra copy as: Macintosh HD> Applications> 1 Password 6. I thought I needed to keep this copy in my Applications folder and that this was my actual copy of 1 Password. I don't understand how this all works. I thought all my 1Password files are saved in this application folder. So I have not moved it to trash nor have I updated. Might someone please help me to understand that if I move this application to trash where my 1PW files are saved? Thanks so much!
sincerely,
Isaiah

Funny, I just went into the applications folder and opened up 1PW. From there I checked for updates and it said I was all up to date. Weird. I wonder what gives there?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 1Password 6
Extension Version: Not Provided?
OS Version: 10.13.4 High Sierra
Sync Type: Not Provided?

Comments

• rickfillion
    edited May 2018

@Isaiah,

Hrmm... if you have this happen again here's what I'd like you to do when you've got the instance of 1Password for Mac that's giving you this grief front-most, look at the Dock on macOS and find the icon for 1Password for Mac. Right click on it and choose "Options" then "Show in Finder". This should show you where this app is running. It sounds like you may have two apps installed and were running a version that was not in /Applications.

For future reference...

I thought all my 1Password files are saved in this application folder. So I have not moved it to trash nor have I updated. Might someone please help me to understand that if I move this application to trash where my 1PW files are saved?

Your data is not stored within the app itself but in a folder that's kept separate. And so you should be clear to delete a 1Password app without putting any of your data at risk. Just make sure that you aren't using any kind of "App Cleaner" type utilities that detect that you've deleted an app and offer to clean up for you. Those apps are always always always a bad idea and result in bad things happening eventually.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• tws1961
    tws1961
    Community Member

I have a screen shot showing multiple copies of 1P7. but, they are ALL in my backups on external drives. I've requested direct help and info and as of this writing, received NO EFFING REPLY! If you cancel, see attachment, you can't read what is behind. Really disappointed in AgileBits.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

You can "Update anyway", there should normally be no problem in the actual updating.

The problem is that if you have multiple copies of 1PW, even on external backups, then a bug in Apple's Launch Services means that the wrong copy of 1Password Mini can get launched and that is likely to cause trouble. (I am not sure if recent changes in the relation between 1PW and 1PW Mini have got rid of this problem, but best assume it still exists until an AgileBits staff member can comment)

I notice that your backups use Carbon Copy Cloner, and this issue with Launch Services is mentioned somewhere in the CCC manual.

There are several possible solutions; which is the best depends on your setup and choices. You can keep the backup disks unmounted, and CC will mount them when a backup is needed. You can arrange your CCC backup to exclude 1PW, and just download it if you ever need it. Or you can exclude 1PW but copy a zipped version to your backups.

The crucial point is that the data is kept separately from the program, so your data will be backed up even if 1PW is excluded.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @tws1961! I'm sorry for the delay in our response to your questions, both here an via email. With the simultaneous launch of both 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows, we're experiencing a surge of support requests that means we're not at our usual snappy response times. I did check, and the only support request I see from you at this email address in our email inbox was from March 11, and my colleague Peri assisted you. It sounds as if you may have used a different email address to contact us than the one you used to register for this forum (or to contact us back in March). You should have received an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can "connect the dots" and avoid duplicating our responses.

@danco's advice is right; you don't want to update when more than one copy of 1Password is present on your system. I'm aware of having multiple copies due to backups -- in fact I do this myself -- but when it comes time to upgrade 1Password, I temporarily disconnect or unmount the backup drive. That ensures there is only one copy of 1Password that the installer and OS can "see," at that time, and eliminates any potential problems. You don't need to actually trash the copies (that would kind of defeat the purpose of having the backups in the first place), but you do need to unmount them.

Another option would be to set your backup software to not include the 1Password application. There's no real need to backup the application bundle, as none of your information is stored there, and it's easy enough to (re)install it again if you need to do so. A SuperDuper! or CCC backup that doesn't include the 1Password app isn't lacking anything, so you could also solve this problem that way, if you prefer. Thanks for writing in!

• tws1961
    tws1961
    Community Member

danco & Lars,

Thank you both for the direction. As I stated in my direct email request, see [#IKB-13616-424] I don't understand why the 1P7 updater would "SEE" ANY files in an external drive. Granted, my level of computer understanding is; turn device on, sign in, do ones thing, sign out, turn off. Go do something else. Lord knows, 18 years ago, who knew how much these devices honestly would allow one to manage ones daily life and make it little simpler. But, for me, and I suspect many others the need for hardware and software too, in Steve Jobs words, "It just works." is most important. This is what attracted me to Apple and in this case 1Password.

That said, If 1P7 is installed on the MacHD as it is for me, the APP is where the updater should be looking not all over the footprint of said device. I guess there are valid reasons the updater needs to look that I don't nor want to understand. Too me looking in external drives is a waste of time and resources. Even if it only takes a couple of Milliseconds. At least the updater does not "see" the Time Machine or BackBlaze backups. I wonder why? Other than of course the obvious in the BackBlaze case, it is online.

So, for now, instead of 1P7 "just working" I will exclude 1P7 from CCC backups. especially if going ahead with updates, as I have done, is going to cause issues or corrupt existing backups. What changed from 1P6 to 1P7? I've been using 1Password since 1P3 and dutifully updated because I believe in supporting outfits like AgileBits but this type of thing NEVER happened or showed up in the past.

Again thanks for taking the time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, though Time Machine an Backblaze work differently, when you mount an "external" drive, it just shows up as another folder on your Mac. Nothing has changed with regard to 1Password, except that we've had to make it aware of this due to issues that can be caused by macOS launching the wrong copy of the app in the past, and people installing multiple copies can also result in them having multiple databases as well, which can cause a lot of confusion; so we try to be proactive in helping people avoid these issues, so that it can "just work". Cheers! :)

• tws1961
    tws1961
    Community Member

Thanks brenty.

Now I just need the next update to see if excluding 1P7 in CCC did the trick.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tws1961: Unless you have another one hiding somewhere, it definitely will. :)

This discussion has been closed.