Feature Request: Show items of nested tags in the origin

Options
lumarel
lumarel
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hey,
First of all, it's so great that you've come to the final rollout of the first 1Password 7 release and that*s so great to see how polished the last beta has got :chuffed:

But I have a little request for a feature which maybe some are searching for:
I've rearranged my whole vault now for nested tags and came over the problem, that i would like to see all items, which are under an origin of some nested tags. I don't know if this is quickly done but it would be really useful! (like a switch in the view "section" called "view all subtags") :chuffed:

Thank you, lumarel

1Password Version: 7.0.558
Extension Version: 4.7.1.4
OS Version: Windows 10 1803 17134.48
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @lumarel,

Thank you for getting in touch and using 1Password! Your kind words mean a lot to us. :chuffed:

Nested tags are tricky. At the moment, the items under A/B tag should not appear under the main A tag. We believe this is a correct behaviour, but I agree that there is still a room for improvements here.

Your suggestion about viewing all subtags sounds interesting, so I will make sure to pass it along to our team. We will have an internal discussion about it. Thanks again! :+1:

Let me know if there is anything else we can help you with, we are always here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Greg,

You're welcome, I think you just deserve them, as you are making such a great job and this community driven 'style' here makes it even better :chuffed:

I also think that it's correct to not show the A/B in A by standard, but sometimes I would just like to see all of the in one place (like Windows licenses Microsoft/Windows/7; Microsoft/Windows/10; Microsoft/WindowsServer/2012R2; Microsoft/WindowsServer/2016)

That's great thank you :chuffed:

Cheers, lumarel

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @lumarel,

I do wonder if it would make sense to support multi-select tags, to show them in item list; like selecting all tags under the parent (and other) to see all of them in the item list. We'll see what will work. We do plan to make this consistent and right now, on the macOS side, it does show all items in the parent tag.

• @lumarel as you correctly said this is required sometimes, lets wait for 1Password 7.1 beta where you can do things like this:

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hey @MikeT,

Yes that would also be another solution :+1:
    Ah ok I didn't really try it on macOS, thanks for the tip :chuffed:

@SergeyTheAgile I can't really explain how happy I'm getting to see these new features, like getting new 'toys' :lol:
    Really great stuff :chuffed:

• MikeT
    Options

:smile:

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

I have installed the new Beta some minutes ago, this is working so great! Thank you :chuffed:

There was then a little dumb problem, I built the tags with the wrong separator '\' instead of '/'. It works as well to make nested tags, but if you try to search for them, it's not possible to get all nested tags and you also have to use the '\' separator to find them at all.
    I don't know if the most people get the difference about '\' and '/', maybe it would be better to convert them right away as I create a tag with the wrong separator :+1: (the suggestions already show them with the right separator)

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @lumarel,

On behalf of the team, you're welcome.

There was then a little dumb problem, I built the tags with the wrong separator '\' instead of '/'. It works as well to make nested tags, but if you try to search for them, it's not possible to get all nested tags and you also have to use the '\' separator to find them at all.

That's a problem we hope to address by adding the direct tag edit support, to let you quickly rename them.

We've included a special handling to treat \ as / visually but the side effect is that when you actually need them, you can't use / only.

maybe it would be better to convert them right away as I create a tag with the wrong separator

We have a policy where we don't modify our user's data unless it is vital and safe to do.

The problem with converting all \ to /, not all tags with \ was used for nesting purposes. So, in this case, we can't automate this. What we can do is make it easier to rename it for you, which is planned.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    Options

It was already quite fast as the autocorrection showed it with the right one, but that's cool you're adding the possibility to modify them too :+1:

In most cases this is really good. :chuffed:
    And you're definitely right, I didn't think about such cases..

• MikeT
    Options

Awesome. Hopefully, we'll have these implemented fairly soon.

This discussion has been closed.