1Password 7 installs and starts OK, but give it 15 minutes... disappears!

Options
abandonedbrain
abandonedbrain
Community Member

Hello! Against my better judgement, I decided to uncharacteristically jump on installation of the new v7 app. I usually let others work out the bugs, but I was excited about the new features. :)

There are two of us in our office who installed this today, and both of us have seen this same behavior over the past three hours.

I installed the 1P v7 Mac app pkg file (downloaded from the website), and it picked up both my Families and Teams accounts from 1P v6 with no issues. The app started up OK, and I was then able to use the extension in Chrome to auto-fill login pages perfectly.

About an hour later, I opened 1P v7 because the Chrome extension had stopped working. v6 has had this occasionally, where the extension/mini and the full app get disconnected, and just starting the full app up usually fixes the issue. However, when I went to open the full v7 app, it crashed almost immediately. I clicked the 'Reopen' button, but nothing happened, no Dock icon, nothing. I went into the /Applications folder to find the app, and it was completely gone! Only the v6 app, and a ZIP file named "1Password 6.app.zip" were showing, no v7 app.

I pulled the pkg file from the trash and reinstalled v7. It started OK, and I deleted the pkg installer. (Oddly, at this point I received a window asking for details on the app crash, which was a full 5-10 minutes after it crashed! I did fill it out, FYI.) I quit the v7 app, and restarted it with no issues. 15 minutes later: the extension in Chrome stopped autofilling again! Clicking on the extension icon asked for the location of 1P v7... which was once again missing from the /Applications folder.

My co-worker stated that this happened to him this afternoon, as well. Our other techs have held off on upgrading for now. We do use Munki to centrally manage software updates on our Macs, but we haven't created a package for Munki for v7 yet, and it's not set to auto-reinstall any applications (and v6 was never removed from our systems). No anti-virus in use at this time, either.

Thoughts? Anything else I can provide?

1Password Version: 7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Teams, Families

Comments

• kokarn
    kokarn
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to let you know this exact behaviour is happening for me and a colleague as well (down to the timing of the strange crash window).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's really odd. It's not something I've heard from anyone else. Where are you installing 1Password 7 from? I'm wondering if Gatekeeper is being triggered somehow.

• abandonedbrain
    abandonedbrain
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi, @brenty, sorry I haven't responded yet. The link we used to download from was: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/download/OPM7

I am running macOS 10.12.6, but my colleague is running 10.13 (latest, I believe).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@abandonedbrain: Sorry, I should have been more specific: what location on your Mac are you trying to run the installer from?

• abandonedbrain
    abandonedbrain
    Community Member
    Options

~/Downloads/ - @brenty
    Ran installer as a standard user (Mac bound to AD), but used a local admin account on the computer to finish. Same as every piece of software I install.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@abandonedbrain: Thanks for getting back to me. That's even weirder. If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your Mac, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[# AJW-49158-135]

If you’re reading this and you are not abandonedbrain, this Support ID is for abandonedbrain only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: AJW-49158-135

• abandonedbrain
    abandonedbrain
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Hey, sorry about that, I had to be away from my computers for a few days. Now that I'm back, though, I just downloaded and installed v7.0.4, and the issue has gone away! At least for me. I'll check with my co-worker later today to see if he can install it with no troubles, as well.

• abandonedbrain
    abandonedbrain
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Well, that was short-lived. It stayed around for a longer period this time, about an hour, but I just tried using the shortcut to autofill in Chrome, and "no application" error again, and the app is gone. I'll take a stab at the diagnostic link you posted.

• abandonedbrain
    abandonedbrain
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - Diagnostics have been sent.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@abandonedbrain: No worries. Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: AJW-49158-135

This discussion has been closed.