Maintaining a Mountain Lion install alongside modern installs?

Hello! We're considering moving to the 1Password account version - we currently use standalone 1Password installs. Here's the mix of devices:

Macs (High Sierra)
Tablet (Android)
iPads
iPhones
and (duhn duhn duhhhhhhhn) an old MacBook running Mountain Lion

I'm keen to move to the account version because of the Android tablet, but my husband maintains that old laptop because it runs a few utility programs critical to his business. He's currently got 1Password 4 on there, not synced to anything. (If he changes a password, he notes the new password and does a manual change in 1P 4).

So if we go to a family account, will he just essentially be in the same boat he's in now - running an old version and doing manual updates? Or will he be able to use 1password.com on the old laptop - which might be slightly easier?

I just want to make sure that moving to the account version wouldn't make his situation worse or break anything critical.

Thanks for your help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ellemef: There are a number of limitations/considerations you should be aware of:

1Password 4 legacy support information

That's just in general with 1Password 4. With regard to a 1Password.com membership, that app simply doesn't know anything about the service since it was made years prior to its introduction, so that's a no-go. You may be able to sign into the website and access the account that way, but I have some doubts about that since 1Password.com does depend on some pretty advanced web standards that may not be well supported with and old OS/browser. It's worth a try.

So you're not so much going to run into things breaking, so much as just not working in that environment, since Mountain Lion is going to be missing out on all of the advancements we've seen since 2012 or so. You could maintain a local vault there with some stuff, completely separate from the account, but it's not something I'd generally recommend given that it probably means you'd be trying to go online, and that's definitely not recommended since there are so many known vulnerabilities in both the OS and browser which have been fixed in subsequent years but you will not benefit from in that case. It would really be best to use it entirely offline...and frankly I'm not sure how you'd get the data there anyway, apart from copying it over via USB.

Sorry, that's a lot to dump on you, but if you have any questions or anything else to add I'll be happy to help in any way I can. :)

• ellemef
    ellemef
    Community Member

That's all terrific information - thanks. I just wanted to make sure I understood the implications of the potential change in 1Password versions as best as possible. It sounds like moving to the new subscription version will be fine, and we will just have to sort out how to handle the "legacy machine" and its inherent security problems on its own.

Thanks so much for the thorough walkthrough of the issues!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions along the way. Have a great weekend! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.