Bug with Custom Fields in "Server" Item

Mousit
Mousit
Community Member

Not entirely sure if this is ACTUALLY a bug or it's intended behavior, but it's different from Windows 1P7, and it's the Mac version that's weird to me so I figured it belonged in the Mac section.

I have "Server" items in my vault, for some Linux servers. I have enabled one-time passwords on these servers, as well as the standard password. The OTP is simple to add to the item as a new custom field, of type One-Time Password, no problem with that particular bit of it. The actual OTP itself works great.

In Windows 1P7, there's a blank area ready for a custom field up in the main user login section of the Server entry (the unnamed section with URL, username, and password). On the Mac, the first available custom field entry is down in the second section, at the bottom of the Admin Console section. There is no option to directly add a custom field up in the primary login section like there is on Win 1P7 (hence posting as Mac bug).

What I ended up doing on the Mac was creating the custom field at the bottom of the Admin Console section, and then dragging it up into the main user section. I'm not even sure you're supposed to be able to drag a custom field between sections; I've never actually done that specific thing before! However, it won't tack on to the "end" of the main section (below Password). It will only go in between Username and Password. It does go there, and stays there. Saves there, syncs (to mobile) there, functions there. I just don't WANT it there. :) I want it below Password, but above Admin Console. I tried dragging Password up above it, and the Mac will let me do it in the UI, but when it saves, the Password jumps right back down and OTP above it. It's basically locked there, no matter what I do. So it's in the order "URL, username, one-time password, password" right now.

This worked fine in Windows 1P7 since it had a ready-to-go spot to add a custom field to the main login section already, so the OTP is below the Password but above the Admin Console section. I'm basically "forcing" a custom field in the main section on the Mac, by dragging it out of the Admin Console section, since the Mac version didn't let me add a custom field to the main section by default.

All in all it's more of a minor UI bug than anything. The OTP field in and of itself does function.

1Password Version: 7.0.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.5
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mousit: Hmm. I'm not sure I'd call it a bug, but it's certainly inconsistent, and that's not something we want if we can help it. I've got a general idea of what you're referring to, but am having trouble reproducing it quite the same way. Would you be able to record a video or send screenshots using a fake item to demonstrate? If not, that's okay. I know it's a lot to ask. But any thing that would help me reproduce the same behaviour here would be appreciated. Thank you for bringing this up! :)

• Mousit
    Mousit
    Community Member

Hi @brenty

I don't know how to make a video screen grab, but I took a few screenshots. I think they show the issue nicely. Now let's see if I can add them to this reply properly. I've never added images to a Forum post. :)
    Let's start by mentioning I'm using Standalone, with local vault. No 1Password.com account (though you guys are slowly tempting me; I may yet subscribe one day). I use WLAN Sync to an iPhone from the Mac. I currently am NOT syncing between the Mac and Windows desktops, which are both running 1P7. Changes are done on both, manually, for the moment. I know that's weird; I'm testing because Windows 1P7 is such a jump from 1P4. I will eventually use the Start Over procedure on one of the machines, and folder sync it with the other, so that they're no longer separate. But that's neither here nor there; I'm just bringing it up because I want you to know that the machines are both independent of each other right now, so this has nothing at all to do with any sort of sync issue.

This picture is the WINDOWS 1P7 Server item. You can see I made a custom text field, and then an OTP field, both right below password. You can also see that there's blank, ready-to-be-made new field spacers directly below that. A new, blank one appears every time I fill one in with a custom field, just like it should.

This picture is the MAC 1P7. You can clearly see there are NO blank, ready-to-customize fields up in the top (unnamed) Section. I made a custom field down in the first available blank custom section, which is in the Admin Console area as you can see. As expected, a new blank custom field appears right below that, as it should.

Here's a continuation of the previous screenshot. I made an OTP field BELOW the "make a new field way down here" custom field, though I didn't take a shot of that, but just so you understand that's where the OTP field was created. This shot shows that I have now dragged that OTP field from down there, out of the Admin Console section, and up into the top (unnamed) Section. And you can see where it ends up going. I cannot, no matter what I do, get it to go below Password. It always goes between username and password. It does function there, and it even syncs to mobile there (WLAN sync), so it's not a broken field. It's just a limitation on where I can drag and position it.
    Also, to extend this a little further, I noticed similar with the Wireless Router entry. It is quite common for wireless routers that have dual bands (2.4GHz and 5GHz) to have two network entries, with two passwords. My current router works this way, as did my previous one. So I wanted to put both networks/passwords in one Wireless Router entry. The problem ended up being virtually identical to the Server item issue. On Windows, there's ready-to-go blank fields in the top (unnamed) Section. On Mac, there isn't; the custom fields are down in their own empty area, and they don't like to drag up into the top section.

Here's a shot from the Windows Wireless Router area, with a new network field and new password.

And here's the Mac, with its custom fields down in their own section. Of course, since there's not a bunch of other stuff in between (like a whole Admin Console section in the Server item), this issue is considerably more minor. It was just something I noticed.
    Basically I think the short of it is the Mac generally lacks ready-to-fill-in blank custom fields in the top Section of any Item, while Windows 1P7 generally includes such blanks in virtually every Item type.
    And finally one last little detail, minor thing but still catches me and I certainly noticed it while toying with these fake entries. On the Mac, if you hit Cancel, it asks you to confirm with a Save/Don't Save dialog. The Windows version just.. cancels. No warning, no ask to save. Personally I'd prefer a dialog box, especially if you accidentally hit cancel. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mousit: Thanks so much! I thought maybe a video would be necessary since you mentioned dragging, but the screen shots are perfect. I really appreciate it. And indeed, I was thinking of sync conflicts earlier, so it's good to know we don't need to worry about that.

This is really odd, for a few reasons. One, it isn't intentional that you'd be able to modify the stuff at the top for the default template; that's something we'd like to make more flexible in the future, but for now the Windows app is doing this "right" since it could have undesirable results when syncing to different platforms since that isn't quite to spec. Two, the Windows app shouldn't be offering to modify that default section at the top in this way; again, something we'd like to do better in the future, but this isn't quite intentional. So three would be that is is pretty weird to be able to move the custom field up where it doesn't belong but not to the bottom of that section. I'll bring these observations up with the team because it does need to be more consistent, and I'd recommend keeping any custom fields in their sections below until we're able to standardize more advanced editing across all of the apps. The behaviour you're reporting here is not intentional, so I've filed an issue for this.

Also, a cancel/save dialog is something we're considering on Windows. Thank you for you feedback on that, and for all of the details on this other issue! You rock! :)

ref: apple-1576, OPW-782

• Mousit
    Mousit
    Community Member

@brenty

Interesting! I was sort of wondering which platform was doing it the current "right" way and which one was handling it weird. I'd noticed on the Mac that the top section is "encased" in its own white box, different from everything else, and had been curious about that being some kind of visual cue that that area was special and wasn't supposed to be fiddled around (so naturally I fiddled!). Windows doesn't have that visual cue.

I suppose it's good that the Mac can still sync to my iPhone with WLAN and not break, despite that field having been moved where it's technically not supposed to be moved, and that the iPhone 1P handles and displays the entry just fine. Speaks well to how resilient 1P is. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mousit: In theory it shouldn't break anything. But since this isn't something we've intentionally designed or tested, I just wanted to offer a note of caution. Seriously, thanks again for your feedback on this! While it doesn't cause any real trouble, it's something we need to address. :)

This discussion has been closed.