View Previous Passwords missing in 7

ilsa
ilsa
Community Member

I updated a password but I wanted to review the previous one, only to discover that the "view previous password" option is now completely gone from the UI.

Where did it go? Is the functionality no longer available?

1Password Version: 7.0.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

In respect of any item that had a previous password you should see this (in the main app):

Does that help?

Stephen

• ilsa
    ilsa
    Community Member

Unfortunately it doesn't. This is all I see from the main app:

• ilsa
    ilsa
    Community Member

That's the edit screen. On the viewing screen, all I see are 'last modified' and 'created'.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I wonder whether the two of you are using a 1Password.com subscription. If so I do apologise. I use the standalone version and am constantly confused by differences between that and the subscription version. Perhaps this is one of those cases. An expert will be along shortly to clear up all confusion.

Stephen

• Hey @ilsa! The View Password History button in 1Password 7 only shows when you're viewing the item, not when you're editing it. Could you try viewing it to see if that works? If not, the item doesn't have previous passwords.

• ilsa
    ilsa
    Community Member

I tried to show both viewing and editing to be thorough. And yes, I do have a personal standalone as well as subscription accounts connected to the same client. Could this be causing the confusion? IMO the feature should be there regardless. It’s a super useful feature.

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member

@ilsa, are you sure there are any previous passwords for the item you're looking at? The View Password History button will only be visible if there are previous passwords to show.

• @ilsa As pervel mentioned, only items that have previous passwords to show will have that button. You can test it out by changing the password for an item. :)

• ilsa
    ilsa
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, it did have previous passwords. I had an original password, and then I updated the password (possibly through 1password mini rather than through the main app, I can't remember now...), and it had just replaced it without tracking the old one.

It's possible I may have goofed something, but it's been too long since this happened and I'm no longer firm on the details. I do remember finding the UI changes very frustrating.

I just did a test in the main app and it performed exactly as you said, so I don't know. If it was a bug it's likely fixed now since agilebits put out a flurry of patch releases shortly after 7 came out.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

@ilsa one of the patches may have addressed the problem you were facing, but please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

One of the great features of a 1Password account is item history: https://support.1password.com/item-history/. It is a step beyond simple password history :smile:. Just mentioning this so that you are aware in the future :+1:.

• K3Man
    K3Man
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

(deleted since I posted in wrong section. >_< )

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@K3Man - :lol: - hey, it happens. No worries. :)

This discussion has been closed.