Removing duplicates

Mister_Martyn2014
Mister_Martyn2014
Community Member

Vault confusion has left me with around 200 duplicate passwords. I can identify the passwords duplicated - now how do I get the rid of the duplicates without doing it one by one?

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.6 (686004) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.6.
OS Version: OSX 10.10.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:duplicates

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018

@Mister_Martyn2014 - Are these just passwords? Or are they Login items? Are they all in a single vault, or are the duplicates spread out over many vaults? There are a few strategies to group things together, where you can select all and move them to the trash, but there's no automatic "remove duplicates" magic. 1Password in general is VERY conservative with your data; if you have what you know to be duplicates, you'll need to explicitly trash them.

ref: GYQ-41641-456

• Mister_Martyn2014
    Mister_Martyn2014
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

Thanks for replying, Lars. It seems the Mac OS version I use has the option of choosing between a Primary vault and then a vault in my name. When both of these are checked and I click on All vaults, I see a huge amount of duplication.

Changing the vault removes this from my view at least.

I only need what is in the vault in my name, but I cannot seem to delete the Primary vault - to be honest I do not understand the purpose of the Primary vault. I only need my vault - so why have All vaults? :) Sorry - very confused.

• @Mister_Martyn2014

You can remove the Primary vault by selecting 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Uncheck the option for allowing creation of vaults outside 1Password.com accounts. The Primary vault would be a remnant of a time before 1Password.com membership.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@spinoza - if you have duplicates, it may be that you have the same item in multiple vaults, so you might want to check whether removing an entire vault would be a better course of action. However, if you've merged a bunch of items from various vaults into a single vault (or a couple vaults), you can remove duplicates by this method:

1. Select and switch to a vault you want to remove duplicates from, in the vault menu (top left of your 1Password window.
    2. Click Help > Tools > Clean up duplicate items.

I should warn you this tool is very conservative. If two items are even a tiny bit different (modified date, etc), 1Password will not remove them. You will still need to manually curate your list to make sure you've removed all duplicates.

• Grow
    Grow
    Community Member

Hi. I cannot find this tool on Windows. Is there?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LagPick: This is a discussion in the Mac category of the forum, regarding a new feature in 1Password for Mac. It is not available on Windows, but we'd like to add it there in the future.

• Grow
    Grow
    Community Member

@brenty I tried on Mac but it always shows "No duplicate items found": https://goo.gl/5o7UQa
    Of course, I have many duplicates.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@LagPick - a great deal depends on how those items were created/imported. Only genuine duplicates will be selected by the tool, which is intentional. We want any such tool to be VERY conservative with users' data because we don't want to give people a tool with which they can inadvertently delete or overwrite data they did not intend to. If the data you consider duplicates has different UUIDs, for example, it will not be flagged as a duplicate. The duplicate items picker will also not flag identical items in different vaults, as it's quite possible a user intended to keep a multiple copies of an item in different vaults.

• vastargazer
    vastargazer
    Community Member

Um, quick question. I am using the Mac version of 1Password. It is updated to the most recent iteration of 1Password6 and under tools, I don't have a "Clean Up Duplicates" command. Am I missing something? Backstory: I have multiple duplicates of all types, Logins, Secure Notes, etc. Somehow, when things switched to the opvault extension my phone created a new opvault. This of course broke the sync between my phone and the Dropbox file also accessed by my Mac laptop. I had items in my phone opvault that were not in my Primary vault. In the end, I had two vaults, one created by my phone, located on Dropbox and one used by my laptop, also on Dropbox but in a different location. Once I figured all that out, I decided the best was way to merge them was to copy ALL items from the phone opvault into the Primary opvault. This worked, but as expected, I have many duplicates. (It did save me having to do a manual compare of the two vaults to find the outliers). BUT, it does leave me with a bit of a quandary as to how to rid myself of the duplicates. Under Help>Tools> I have "Remove Redundant Generated Passwords", "Optimize Database", "Enable OPVault for Dropbox and Folder Sync" (The last is checked). Any guidance?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@vastargazer - yes, the "Clean up Duplicates" feature was introduced in 1Password 7 for Mac, which is why you don't have it even on the final version of 1Password 6 for Mac (6.8.9).

The only guidance I can offer is to bite the bullet and go through this process once. You cannot actually combine items, but the good news here is that the duplicates will be "grouped" together by virtue of having identical names, so comparing side-by-side will be easy if you sort the list alphabetically. Once you've gone through this process once, you won't have to do it again. Sorry for the inconvenience and let us know if you have any further questions/problems.

• vastargazer
    vastargazer
    Community Member

Thanks Lars. I had a feeling that was going to be the answer. :-). No worries. I didn't realize we went to 1Password 7 for Mac. I'll check that out and upgrade.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@vastargazer - sounds good! We've got a great guide for helping you upgrades smoothly, and if you'd like to read the blog post announcement to see some of the details first, that’s right here. Let us know if you have any questions. Cheers! :)

• Frank Petrie
    Frank Petrie
    Community Member

Lars, I have PW7 and can't locate "Clean up Duplicates" under any of my menus. ( I have but one vault, BTW.) Where is it located?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Frank Petrie - the duplicates tool will be under Help > Tools > Clean up Duplicate Items. It will be grayed out and won't work if you're in All Vaults view; you have to switch to a specific vault for it to work. Then again, if you have only one vault, this shouldn't be an issue. Hope that helps! :)

• thehesiod
    thehesiod
    Community Member

I tried the 1pass duplicate remover but it didn't remove 99% of my duplicates so I'm working on a script that uses their command-line tool (https://support.1password.com/command-line/): https://gist.github.com/thehesiod/abc293bc42457ce9608d760d22330374 It's super alpha so don't use it on anything important outside the debugger. If it gets popular enough I can more to a github repo

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, if it didn't remove them, they weren't actually duplicates. We don't want 1Password trashing people's data needlessly, so when it says "duplicates", it really means that. The script is a great idea, provided people exercise caution. Thank you for sharing it!

This discussion has been closed.