Can two people use the same 1P Mac app?

Options
Newbie2018
Newbie2018
Community Member

I am on the 30-day trial of the family plan. Access to our vaults via my.1password.com is working fine. Now the next challenge. My wife and I share a Mac. I have installed the 1P app for Mac. How do we set up the app so that it requires my master password when I want to access my vault, but it requires my wife's master password when she wants to access her vault? Or is this simply not possible?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Meek
    Options

Hey @Newbie2018,

I'm sorry to say that accessing two 1Password accounts for the same family membership on the same computer account is not possible at the moment. This is something we'd love to do, but we haven't found the time to build it yet.

Our recommendation in this scenario is to set up separate user accounts on the computer. Then, each of you would be able to sign into your own 1Password account from within your own user account on the computer.

• Newbie2018
    Newbie2018
    Community Member
    Options

OK. I was hoping it would be like Twitter or Facebook apps, which do permit multiple accounts. But that’s ok, we’ll survive!

• We do permit multiple accounts, for example I have my 1Password Families account and the AgileBits 1Password Business accounts both configured on this Mac. So in that way it's much like Twitter etc... but we don't support having multiple accounts from the same family or team on the same Mac. The reason for this is that things like permissions get really weird and complicated. If you have read/write access to a vault and your wife only has read-only access to a vault, what should the access be on this Mac? You could probably argue "read/write" and I'd probably agree with you. But then we need to build in support in the app to understand this and make sure that when syncing those changes that we do so from the right account as our server will deny write requests from the other account. It gets pretty complicated.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.