Hyphens in item headings displayed as boxes [Install latest .NET updates in Windows Updates]

Options
finwe
finwe
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I have a similar problem as described here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/71570/windows-10-1password-6-beta-version-6-1-296d-items-with-a-hyphen-in-any-field-display-box

but with current beta. I do not use any MacType-like program. The problem seems to only show in item detail heading:

Is this indeed a bug?

1Password Version: 7.1.566
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Dropbox+1Password account

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @finwe,

Thanks for writing in.

Is this an old item? I can't reproduce it on Windows 7:

Can you save a new Login with fake data and see if it is saving it properly.

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    Options

Nope, it happens with new items too, in both cloud vaults and local vaults. You don't have a hyphen in the title, that's where the error occurs.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Options

Windows locale and codepage differences?

• MikeT
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi @finwe,

As MrC said, this is likely your locale settings.

I cannot reproduce this at all. What keyboard language are you using?

This issue may be because your keyboard is inserting a symbol that the Windows font does not have for our app. Check for updates, the last .NET update included additional international symbol fixes.

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    Options

My OS is in Czech (cs_CZ);

Keyboard used in 1Password is custom US English. Changing keyboard does not help; Why should it, anyway.

And the hyphen should be an ASCII symbol (%2D), shouldn't it? Why would the codepage change that?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@finwe,

You seem like a programmer-type (given your ASCII mention). Export the single item (or a sanitized duplicate) to 1PIF, and look at the hex value inside the file for that character. What Unicode character do you see?

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC As far as I can see, neither online 1Password or 1Password for Windows support 1PIF export. In TXT export, the character is 0x2D

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

Keyboard used in 1Password is custom US English. Changing keyboard does not help; Why should it, anyway.

Because different keyboard enters the same symbol with a different unicode code. They normalize it but the font may not have that specific character for that specific hex code.

And the hyphen should be an ASCII symbol (%2D), shouldn't it? Why would the codepage change that?

Not if your keyboard inserts such hyphen as a unicode character that is normalized to a different character. That's why I asked about the website, we want to reproduce but so far, that site has no hyphen anywhere in its title, so we can't reproduce it.

Export the single item (or a sanitized duplicate) to 1PIF, and look at the hex value inside the file for that character. What Unicode character do you see?

@MrC, there's no export to 1PIF in 1Password 7 for Windows yet. You can export it via text or CSV formats instead.

• MikeT
    Options

Oh one more thing:

You must restart 1Password completely for .NET to tell 1Password which keyboard is being in use, it may not actually update it internally until you do this.

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    Options

The update of .NET (which was only "recommended" by Windows Update) helped, thanks for pointing that out!

• MikeT
    Options

Awesome, I'm glad to hear that and you're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.