Auto fill into iTunes not working

mtissington
mtissington
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I have not seen this working at all in version 7.*

I open iTunes and choose signin, iTunes dialog appears asking for name and password.
I click in the password field.
I open 1Password mini, and attempt to have it auto fill the password field ... I have no idea where it goes but it never goes into the password field. I have similar problems with other apps too. (this used to work with version 4 or 5)

1Password Version: 7.1.566
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 (latest)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @mtissington,

Thanks for reporting this.

Are you using Type in window to right-click on the item to copy its value to third party apps?

1Password 7 does not yet have Auto-Type implemented, so it won't be able to fill in any apps beside the web browsers with 1Password extension installed. This is coming in a future update but we do not have a timeframe.

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member

Yes, I'm using Type in Window - and that does not work in this case. It used to work in version 4? I think.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mtissington: I recall it working in version 7 previously, but it's been a bit since I had it installed. Are you maybe using the version from the Microsoft Store? I know we have some difficulty accessing the windows of those types of apps. 1Password 4 used a very different method, and we'll be building on this functionality in the new app too, but we're not there yet.

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member

Im using the version downloaded from you site. If it's not working yet then the option should not be available.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It works in standard windows. Not everything uses those though. We're not going to remove a feature that's useful to people just because it cannot work everywhere. Otherwise 1Password would not fill logins in web browsers either. ;)

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member

What do you mean by standard Window? Surly iTunes is a standard window?
    Have you tried it with iTunes (download from Apple) on Windows 10?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mtissington: Yep. You can notice that when you try to have 1Password try to fill there, it focuses the window you selected: "iTunes". The login prompt is not a normal application window; it's a modal dialogue. There are ways we can "fill" in something like that in the future by emulating actual keypresses, but the current "Type in window" feature requires a targetable window. I'm sorry for explaining this poorly, but ultimately the important thing is that we'll need to do a lot more work in order to enable what you're trying to do in this case. I know that's not a very satisfying answer, but it's just not something that's possible with the current featureset. We'll need to build more.

• mtissington
    mtissington
    Community Member

@brenty Hmm, disappointing that it no longer works in 7, well yet I hope - I'm not sure I understand the issue you describe with different Windows. I am working on an app that uses the API AccessibleObjectFromEvent and it works great to get the textbox that has the focus to enter text in regardless of Window type. You can subcontract me to build it if you like :)

• Hi @mtissington,

1Password 6/7 is a separate new codebase, we haven't implemented the features needed to build the same Auto-Type feature that 1Password 4 had. The current Type to Window is not seeing any UWP apps or other certain type of window classes. We're going to improve it on it but it'll take some time.

However, we are looking for more developers on Windows: https://blog.agilebits.com/jobs/#c-sharpener 😃

This discussion has been closed.