expiry date used generally?

Options
bacoboy
bacoboy
Community Member

In 1Password7, under the WatchTower section, there is a handy feature to show you upcoming expirations. However, I tried putting an expiry date field on a random item (like a certificate file I want to remember to renew) and it doesn't seem to get picked up in that section. Is expiry date only searched for on certain item types?

1Password Version: 7.0.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @bacoboy! Indeed, that field is only used on items where it's part of the default template, like credit cards, passports, and drivers licenses.

• bacoboy
    bacoboy
    Community Member
    Options

So how do we change that? There are more than 3 kinds of things that expire! ;)

Doesn't seem like there is a good reason to NOT let any element have an expiration date/time...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bacoboy - what other categories/items that don't already have that field type available would you like to see have expiration dates added?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Software subscriptions. ;)

Edit: removed reference to "licence".

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Stephen_C - :+1:

• bacoboy
    bacoboy
    Community Member
    Options

I think it could be generally useful -- perhaps making the field a specific type (not just Date, but Expiry Date) would do. Or put a checkbox w/ the Date time to say "remind me"

My specific need THIS time was to store some certificate files and/or keys (so Documents) that require attention at/near some date in the future. In my case, certificate files. I can also see things like PDFs of licenses that need renewals (as well as @Stephen_C 's suggesstion for SW licenses.

But I think this would be better served by a more general solution on ANY attribute of any type.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bacoboy - thanks for the elaboration and the suggestions! I'll pass this along to our developers. :+1: :)

• tzs
    tzs
    Community Member
    Options

Another item that could use an expiry_date field is passwords. Many sites require periodic password changes, and it is often much less painful to initiate that yourself just before it becomes due rather than wait until the site forces you to change it on a login attempt.

That said, there is a way to in effect do this now in 1Password. Membership items include an expiry_date field. One could make a membership item for each site that requires periodic password resets, and use that to track this. To keep these memberships from cluttering up things (especially if you have real memberships stored in 1Password) they could be moved into a separate "Password Expiration" vault.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the idea @tsz, I have passed this feedback onto the developers.

• Jorgeelizondom
    Jorgeelizondom
    Community Member
    Options

The expiry reminder feature could be added to non default templates as a special type of date field. Something like "remind me on this date". This way the user can add this field and set it to when would he/she want to be reminded.

The expiry reminder is a very useful feature. Thank you for implementing it.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, and the kind words, @Jorgeelizondom. There may be some room to expand this in the future. We have a lot of irons in the fire right now so I wouldn't expect anything in the short term, but perhaps as some of those things get wrapped up we can take another look a this.

Ben

• machale
    machale
    Community Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

I think @bacoboy 's suggestion for a new Expiry Date field type is an excellent one. It really is a more specialized concept than merely Date. See also https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/514823/#Comment_514823

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for chiming in @machale. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.