Lost 1Password 6

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1password 6.9.2 not syncing and forcing update to 1password 7.x.

Comments

• wassimjabi
    wassimjabi
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, it seems I lost 1Password 6 that I purchased from agile bits directly (not from App Store). Where can I re-download it? and can you re-send me my license please?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wassimjabi: Sorry to hear that! You can always get pretty much any version from our update site:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com

A link will also be in the license email you received when purchasing. I cannot send that again though because there are no records under this address. But if you enter the correct one here you can have it sent to you:

https://support.1password.com/trial-expired/#add-your-license

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• wassimjabi
    wassimjabi
    Community Member
    Options

I purchased 1Password from the Apple Store. But if I update from the Apple Store then it goes into read-only mode! And you don’t have a record of my license! Please tell me where on my computer the license is stored. I will then make sure it is backed up and kept safe. Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

I purchased 1Password from the Apple Store. But if I update from the Apple Store then it goes into read-only mode!

If your intention is to use 1Password 6 for Mac standalone (without a subscription membership) you'd need to install 1Password 6 from the Purchases tab of the App Store while signed into the same Apple ID that you made the purchase on. 1Password 7 for Mac is a separate purchase. It is included with 1Password membership, though. You can read more about membership here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

And you can read more about 1Password 7 for Mac here:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever - AgileBits Blog

With 1Password 7 the App Store only sells 1Password memberships. It isn't possible to download from the App Store and use 1Password standalone. If you want to upgrade to 1Password 7 and use it standalone you'd need to download it from our website:

Download for Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, Chrome, Linux | 1Password

Licenses are sold within the app.

And you don’t have a record of my license!

If you purchased from Apple that is correct. Only Apple has records of purchases made from Apple.

Please tell me where on my computer the license is stored. I will then make sure it is backed up and kept safe. Thanks.

That's not quite how it works. The App Store checks your Apple ID records for purchases. In order to license 1Password 6 through the App Store you need to install it while logged into the App Store using the Apple ID that made the purchase.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• wassimjabi
    wassimjabi
    Community Member
    Options

I had purchased 1Password from the App Store back in 2011. Recently, the app went into "Read-only mode. Click here to buy" I re-downloaded 1Password from the App Store and nothing helps. I need the functionality restored please!

1Password Version: 6.8.9
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
    Sync Type: Dropbox
    Referrer: forum-search:"read-only"

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @wassimjabi! Sorry for the trouble you're experiencing just now. 1Password doesn't just "go into Read Only mode," if you're updating your copy directly from the Mac App Store (presuming you purchased it outright at some point). Did you perhaps try 1Password 7 for Mac instead? Or have you only upgraded as far as 6.8.9? Has anything else unusual or noteworthy happened on your Mac lately? Reinstalling the OS? Switching Apple ID you're signed into the Mac App Store with? Anything else, like new software added to your Mac?

• wassimjabi
    wassimjabi
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Lars, as I said in my original post, I purchased the original copy form the Mac App Store in 2011. I never upgraded to version 7. I have not done anything out of the ordinary and I do not recall installing anything new, but just noticed that it has switched to "Read-only mode." So, I went back to my purchases on the Mac App Store (per the instructions on the 1Password support pages) and re-downloaded it, but that did not solve the problem.
    Do you have a solution now that this has happened? How can I restore the original functionality for the 1Password software that I purchased from the Mac App Store?

• wassimjabi
    wassimjabi
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Ben, Thank you for your reply. Yes, my intention is to use 1Password 6 standalone that I had purchased from the Mac App Store in 2011 for as long as I can. It does what I need it to do and I don't need any of the new features (yet). I read the benefits of membership and while appealing, I feel the recuring cost per month is high compared to what I already have with version 6. I have been using 1Password for seven years, so for a family of five membership (which is what I would opt for) this would have equated to $419.16 and on-going. Thank you again for your help. My issue was resolved with the help of a friend who also has 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wassimjabi: Sorry for the trouble you had. The App Store handles purchase validation, and the only way for that to work is if you install it using the same Apple ID used for the purchase. I'm glad you were able to get that sorted out though. Thanks for the update. :)

Indeed, if you're trying to do an "apples to apples" comparison, considering only the app itself, you won't see a benefit of a 1Password.com membership over sticking with the standalone app (which you've already paid for). If you're content to continue using the same OS, browser, and 1Password versions for now (not really feasible or recommended long term since eventually you won't get security updates from Apple, etc.), that's one option.

However, in the future, you may want to consider 1Password Families. While it definitely costs more than paying once for a single version over the course of seven years, you get a lot more as well. A lot of families (including my own) enjoy cost savings on a number of levels:

• All apps included — so we're not paying for licenses for various platforms
    • All updates included — no additional purchase for a new major version, such as 7.0
    • The whole family — no separate purchases for family members, as all of the above is included for all family members you invite
    • Time is money — whether family members setting things up themselves (which is much easier with a 1Password.com account: they just sign in on each device to access their data) or me helping them, there's just a lot less friction involved

It also allows you to easily share vaults securely and help family members recover their accounts if they get locked out — along with the many other benefits of 1Password.com, like automatic offsite backup and item history are included, so losing your devices doesn't mean losing your data. Anyway, just something to consider. Cheers! :)

• Spleen_Love
    Spleen_Love
    Community Member
    Options

I lost my license 1password6 iMac , i buy on the site, no app store. How do I get it back? Thanks !

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Spleen_Love: You'll have an email receipt for it, so you should be able to find it in a search. But if you need help, shoot us an email at support@1password.com :)

This discussion has been closed.