How seamless is it to log in to sites for you?

Options

This is more of a general question.... It seems like a lot of sites have added little roadblocks to signing in, as though they're trying to make it more slow and difficult to login. Many sites use a multi-step login so you have to enter the username, hit a button, then enter the password in a separate step. Why do they do this?

Take Google for instance. Does anyone have a seamless way to sign in to Google? Many of us have multiple accounts. The Google homepage doesn't have a sign in form, so you can try adding the sign-in page to 1Password:
https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin/identifier?hl=en&passive=true&continue=https://www.google.com/&flowName=GlifWebSignIn&flowEntry=AddSession

But that page makes me choose which account I want. I don't see a way to have 1Password just sign in. Always multiple steps, multiple invocations of 1Password mini to make it populate the fields. One of the ways I try to "sell" friends/family members on using a password manager is the ease of logging into a site. It's frustrating that it remains a small battle to get signed in to so many sites.

Same kind of thing on Yahoo... had to invoke 1Password twice to sign in. Is this just the way it is? I'm just wondering if others are better at using the software, or if it often just takes repeated steps on many sites and there's no changing that?

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @luv314159,

If the site forces the user to interact with multiple screens there sadly isn't a whole lot we can do. I wouldn't mind so much if I saw a real security benefit but if there is one I don't get it. Any kind of feedback after just the user ID has the potential to allow miscreants discover information, especially if the user ID is an email address so that's a bad idea. If the site is only going to offer feedback after both the username and password then why not keep it simple and have them on the same page.

Yet that's what seems to to be the in thing at the moment. It could easily change again at some point and they start reverting to the more traditional single screen. Hopefully though 1Password still offers some convenience. It's quicker than typing even if it requires a couple of ⌘\ to complete the process and that's on top of the strong, unique passwords that use of a password manager helps make more possible.

I can't comment much on Yahoo I'm afraid. I purged my account there some time ago. I have no kind words for that site and the repeated issues with security they've had over a long period of time.

• luv314159
    luv314159
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks... Having 1Password is still a lifesaver despite these sites having multi-step logins. I hear what you're saying about Yahoo, it's just that I've been a Flickr Pro user for many years (Flickr being owned by Yahoo, now Verizon, "Oath" or whatever it is). Flickr is now going to Smugmug, so I may be able to finally ditch the Yahoo account.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yeah, I don't envy you if a service you've relied on is tied to a Yahoo account.

If you have any other questions about 1Password please do ask and I'll do my best to answer :smile:

This discussion has been closed.