To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1Password 7: Attachements and Documents issue

JC54
JC54
Community Member

I just installed 1P 7, and I'm using the free trial of memberships. I followed the prompt to migrate my primary vault from Dropbox to Agile's cloud. My collection of documents is missing at least 3 of my former attachments (scans of family passports). That's just 3 I've noticed so far. So I don't know what else might be missing. I still have 1P 6 installed on my laptop and have verified the original attachments are there. I can add the original scans which I have saved elsewhere. But it concerns me that others might be missing. I have over 1,000 items in 1Password's main vault alone.

So my questions are (1.) Why are some not converted and appearing as documents, and (2.) Is there a way to find out which entries had attachments in version 6 so I can verify I've got them all?

1Password Version: 7.04
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @JC54, I'm sorry to hear about the trouble migrating your documents. Let's figure out what happened.

Just to confirm, this was in 1Password for Mac that you were trying to migrate your data over, correct? I'll chat with our developers to see what might have gone wrong.

Regarding finding the items that have attachments in 1Password 6, you can do the following:

1. Click the search magnifying glass in the search bar.
    2. Choose Show Search Options.
    3. Look for "Number of attachments" "is greater than" and enter 0.
  • Hey @JC54, Just an update here - I've spoken to one of our Mac developers and we'd like to take a look more into this to figure out what happened.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from the device that was used to migrate your data:

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can link it up to this discussion.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID. Please post that ID here so we can track down the report and link things up.

Hopefully the logs in the report will give us some idea of what went wrong.

• JC54
    JC54
    Community Member

Yes, it was on my Mac that I first created my 1Password.com account in the new 1Password 7 app. I'm sending the diagnostic now.

BTW, Your message said send it to support+forum@agilebits.com, but the diagnostic app creates one to just support@agilebits.com.

• Hey @JC54, we normally recommend the support+forum@agilebits.com address just so we know it came from a forums thread, but either will do just fine. Could you let us know your Support ID so that I can find your email?

• JC54
    JC54
    Community Member

Sorry, but what exactly is the Support ID? The email I sent the diagnostic from, or the one I log into forums with? I don't really want to post those publicly on the forum.

• JC54
    JC54
    Community Member

Oh, wait. I see it now in the automatic reply: #SYN-29262-326

• JC54
    JC54
    Community Member

I had 17 attachments in 1P 6.x and after migration to 1P 7 only had 10 documents.

• JC54
    JC54
    Community Member

Please pass this on to the Mac Developers. There were actually 22 attachments on 17 items/entries in 1Password 6.
    After migration I'm missing 12 documents:

I'm missing 7 images on 3 different secure notes (mostly .jpg, plus one .png).
    I'm missing 1 .jpg on a Driver's License item.
    I'm missing 1 .jpg image on each of 3 different Passport items.
    I'm missing 1 .png image on a Login item.

• Thanks @JC54. It appears Laura is in the process of replying to you via email. Sorry for the delay. Let’s continue the conversation over there.

Ben

ref: SYN-29262-326

• Nicolinix
    Nicolinix
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Similar thing here. Migrated from 6.8.8 to 7.2.1. But still using iCloud Sync (because also had other trouble with 1Password.eu Sync) and missing ALL RECORDS who had attachments.

What d hell is wrong with you guys? 1Password used to be a great tool - but Version 7 sucks in so many things...

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2018

Hi @Nicolinix

This is a family friendly forum. I’d strongly encourage you to read our rules & reminders before posting further.

As for your issue... 1Password membership (including 1Password.eu) does not use attachments. It uses Documents, which are similar, but more flexible than attachments. Not having attachments after migrating to 1Password.eu would be expected — they’d be converted to Documents. If you were then to copy that dataset back to a standalone vault and attempt to sync it with iCloud you’d need to re-establish those Documents as attachments.

This doesn’t really have anything to do with 1Password 7 — it is more about the differences between membership and standalone vaults.

Ben

• lxffm
    lxffm
    Community Member

Hi 1Password Team,

coming from 1Password 6 I've started my Trial Period for 1Password 7 today. It's a nightmare. You dropped the Folder concept which has been most valuable and messed up the whole attachments feature. I tried sort things out by using different vaults but if you try to move entries over which are containing linked attachments (or documents in the new world) you will notified that this movement will break all links. Even if you move the "attached/linked" documents along with the entry.

These optimizations are a major drawback of usability. I'm working in product management myself, I couldn't imagine that any customer would have advised you to implement it this way.

So I'll run myself through that mess of useless and unsorted entries for the next couple of days, but at that point I can't imagine to pay you 70€/Year for thinking counter usability wise.

I'd love to get a glimpse on how you define that to be a better usability, so maybe you could elaborate a bit on whats behind these drawbacks?

BR,
    Alex

• Hi Alex,

I’ve explained documents vs attachments above, so I really don’t have anything to add on that point unless you have specific questions I can answer?

Tags are the replacement for folders. This will be happening for standalone vaults as well. I think you’ll find tags to be a much better solution for this than trying to manage a large number of separate vaults. Tags can do everything folders could and more.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• lxffm
    lxffm
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

thanks for getting back quick. Thanks for pointing your perception out, it's not all about specific question, please consider my post as a customer feedback for consideration while improving your product.
    Folders can't technically make that much pain that you must get rid of them, I suppose. But I, as your customer can tell you: Tags are a good addition to folders but actually no substitution. I'm really struggling translating my folder structure into tags - really struggling. It's a whole messed up list of the migrated folder structure nested tags together with that big list of other tags, which assembled over time. So I instantly lost overview over my whole set of credentials.

With regards to specific questions on linked items. I consider it has a bug that any linked entry will break while you are moving these entries to other vaults even if you move all entries together to that vault. So the specific question is, is this already known, do you think there will be a fix available soon?

I'd appreciate if you could forward my feedback to the product owner for consideration. At that point in time forcing me from folders to tags, keeping the whole work for me, dealing with 600 messed up entries, feels like a deal breaker for me by now.

Alex

• Alex,

Likewise, thank you for taking the time to share your perspective. I understand the frustration with not being able to maintain links when moving items between vaults. I’m not aware of any fix planned for this, but we are aware of the difficulty. Right now there are technical limitations that would not be easily overcome that prevent that from working differently. As for tags vs folders would you be able to share a specific example of how tags are not working for you where folders did? In theory the transition from folders to tags should be essentially seamless, so if that is not your experience I certainly want to represent that position to our team. I need to know some specifics in order to do that, though. I’m not really clear at this point as to what the difficulty with that is.

Thanks!

Ben

• greenlimecrush
    greenlimecrush
    Community Member

It seems like this new method of handling attachments is an implementation that put more onus on the user to:

• MAINTAIN STRICT NAMING CONVENTIONS - Previously I had one entry called "John's Visa" with two attachments "Front.jpeg" and "Back.jpeg" and another entry called "Mary's Visa" with two attachments "Front.jpeg" and "Back.jpeg). This now migrates to 1Password as six (6) entries named "John's Visa", "Mary's Visa", "Front", "Front", "Back" and "Back". This is an example of two basic entries, imagine what this looks like when this was done to 100's of entires

• MAINTAIN ATTACHMENT IN TWO PLACES (Via the browser.) - If you want to delete an attachment, you need to delete the entry in the parent and delete the attachment. You can do either separately but create orphans (another record referencing an attachment that doesn't exist or a related image now becomes a stand alone image).

• KNOW THE RELATED ATTACHMENT FILE NAMES - Drops file names in the original (parent) entry in the browser view as they only indicate "Imported Attachment", but in the client Mac application the names are intact, so this is inconsistent handling

Perhaps I'm not understanding the new model, but it seems to put much more onus on the user to have strategies in place to utilize 1Password effectively or could very easily turn your repository into a disorganized mess. If there should no longer be a relationship between a main entry and related attachments, then the attachment function should be completely removed. With the attachment function still there, it seems like a half baked solution.

Any suggestions to help my understanding would be greatly appriciated as I do love the 1Password product, but am still using the client only due to my above concerns.

Looking or advice....Dean

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @greenlimecrush! Thanks for the thoughtful analysis; it's mostly right. I wouldn't say you need to "maintain an attachment in two places," since deleting the actual attachment will cause any other items in which you linked to the now-deleted attachment to simply show the attachment as "deleted":

This may look untidy to some users, but it doesn't require deletion unless you wish.

...or a related image now becomes a stand alone image).

With the Documents category, all images are "standalone images." That's the main difference between the older style of direct attachments present in standalone 1Password data, and the Documents category: Documents are now first-class citizens in their own right, able to exist without their "parent" item or indeed even to have a "parent" item at all.

I had a bit more to go over on a point-by-point basis here, but it occurred to me that, rather than detour into a more-esoteric discussion of the finer points of differences between standalone and 1password.com attachments-vs-Documents, it would probably be more helpful to ask you what you're looking for advice about? What are you trying to accomplish, that you're not able to do?

• MrN1cky
    MrN1cky
    Community Member

I have a similar issue. When I tried to update from 6 to 7 version I have lost attachments.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @MrN1cky! I'm sorry for the trouble. Without any further information, it's a bit hard to say what might have gone wrong, but often in such cases what's happened is that attachments in older standalone setups become corrupted previously and because we don't typically check such things on a regular basis, it goes unnoticed until the actual coversion/upgrade. In other words, you may be only noticing this now because you're focusing on it.

What you can to do to check, if you like -- and assuming this upgrade from 6 to 7 was recent and you haven't made a lot of changes/additions to your data since the -- is quitting 1Password 7 for Mac and re-launching 1Password 6 for Mac and seeing whether those records have usable attachments. Your 1Password 6 for Mac data should still be right where you left it, so this won't affect things, as long as you're careful not to leave both versions installed (and definitely not running) at the same time going forward. If you still have the 1Password 6 zip file in your Applications folder, just Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then unzip the 1Password 6 zip file and open 1Password 6 for Mac. Check the individual records you found corrupted/lost in 1Password 7 for Mac. Are they available in 1Password 6 for Mac? If so, you may wish to save them in unencrypted form to your hard drive, and then re-import them to 1Password 7 for Mac after you switch back.

This discussion has been closed.