Can't access vaults on dropbox after upgrading to v7

Options
nokin50
nokin50
Community Member

I upgraded from v6 to v7. I first set up v7 on laptop Mac and it has the dropbox vaults, plus a new vault on your server. The preferences have a “sync” option for the dropbox vaults as expected. I then set up v7 on my iMac. However, my iMac only has the new vault & preferences do not show “sync” like on my laptop. How do I get my dropbox vaults on my desktop? My iPhone also does not show the dropbox vaults.

How do I get the dropbox vaults on my iMac & Phone? I attached screenshots from both computers.

David

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @nokin50

If you’d like to use standalone vaults with a 1Password membership please enable 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Enable creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• nokin50
    nokin50
    Community Member
    Options

OK... I did that and added the vault. Why it showed up on my laptop, but not my desktop is confusing.

However the vault is empty on my iMac after syncing with the dropbox vault. The same synced vault has 336 items on the laptop. I've even tried deleting and reinstalling the v7 app on my iMac. When I re-added the dropbox vault it was still empty.

I've spent hours on this and can't get it to work. It would take too long to detail everything I have tried. Worst software upgrade experience I've had in years.

Why does my laptop vault show 336 items and iMac show zero?

• Ben
    Options

@nokin50

The best I could suggest in that case is this guide:

If you're having trouble syncing with Dropbox | 1Password

I’m a little confused as to the purpose of using Dropbox to sync vaults when you have a 1Password membership?

Ben

• nokin50
    nokin50
    Community Member
    Options

It appears that Drop Box sync was the likely one problem I was having, but still not sure what is going on. The original (v6) vault was over 100 mb. The new version v7 vault is only 3 mb. Does that seem correct? The correct number of items are in the vault, but not sure if there are items (attachments?) missing.

To answer your question:

1) I was planning to use your server, but it automatically linked to dropbox where I have always had it stored. This used to be the only place I could use if I wanted to share a vault with others. I think I can now share vaults from your servers… Is this correct?

2) I then tried importing the vault to a new vault on your servers (Import —> 1Password Keychain), but over 400 items were imported when I only had 336 in my original vault. This doesn’t give me reassurance that your software is working properly, so I would now rather stick with dropbox, unless you can explain why this happened.

I am on a trial for a family plan, but not sure If I can ask my family members (who are 3000 miles from me) to upgrade when I am having so many issues.

• nokin50
    nokin50
    Community Member
    Options

Still have the questions from my last post, plus two more:

1) My iPad still links to my old (v6) vault — and is still the primary — although it won’t sync. It shows It says I can’t delete it until I delete my other vaults. My iPhone only shows the new vaults.

2) When I log in to my account on Safari (Mac). it only shows the vaults on your servers — not the dropbox vaults.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nokin50: Thanks for your patience. Happy to answer your questions — though I apologize if I have to ask you a few as well! :)

It appears that Drop Box sync was the likely one problem I was having, but still not sure what is going on. The original (v6) vault was over 100 mb. The new version v7 vault is only 3 mb. Does that seem correct? The correct number of items are in the vault, but not sure if there are items (attachments?) missing.

The newer OPVault format is more efficient, but I'm not sure it should compress the data that much. The only thing "normal: things which could account for it is if you had a lot of deleted "tombstone" data taking up room in your original vault, since that would not carry over to the new one; or you actually had some non-1Password-vault stuff also saved inside the vault folder. I've seen a few cases where people setup something to backup there, or accidentally copied other files there. Something like DaisyDisk or another disk space/file size tool could help you confirm or deny that last point.

Otherwise, it would probably be easiest to take a look at your actual data by doing a search to make sure you have all of the attachments you expect, and that they are not damaged and can be viewed. You can do this by selecting "search options" from the dropdown when you click the search "magnifying glass" icon:

And then search "number of attachments" is greater than "0" to get a complete list of these items:

1) I was planning to use your server, but it automatically linked to dropbox where I have always had it stored. This used to be the only place I could use if I wanted to share a vault with others. I think I can now share vaults from your servers… Is this correct?

A 1Password.com membership uses our server to store and sync the encrypted data, and the 1Password Families (or Teams/Business) plans support intra-account secure vault sharing. It's a great option, but let's make sure your data is all in order first. :)

2) I then tried importing the vault to a new vault on your servers (Import —> 1Password Keychain), but over 400 items were imported when I only had 336 in my original vault. This doesn’t give me reassurance that your software is working properly, so I would now rather stick with dropbox, unless you can explain why this happened.

I don't think that has anything to do with 1Password.com. The Import option is for adding incompatible data to the app, for example from a legacy AgileKeychain vault or from another app entirely.

I am on a trial for a family plan, but not sure If I can ask my family members (who are 3000 miles from me) to upgrade when I am having so many issues.

Absolutely. We'll get this sorted out, and then you can decide what will be the best option for you — and your loved ones — going forward.

Still have the questions from my last post, plus two more:
    1) My iPad still links to my old (v6) vault — and is still the primary — although it won’t sync. It shows It says I can’t delete it until I delete my other vaults. My iPhone only shows the new vaults.

A Primary (local) vault is completely separate from 1Password.com. It will only sync if you configure it to use iCloud, Dropbox, etc. Can you tell me all the vaults you see listed on that device?

2) When I log in to my account on Safari (Mac). it only shows the vaults on your servers — not the dropbox vaults.

Thanks for letting me know. Just to clarify, where are you getting the "100MB" figure from? If you're not using a local vault on your Mac, maybe there's some misunderstanding regarding the vault size. Looking forward to hearing back from you!

• nokin50
    nokin50
    Community Member
    Options

brenty,
    Thanks for you detailed reply. It was very helpful. I saw your reply to another post I made — sorry for the multiple posts. I had so many different issues that I thought it may be less confusing to have separate posts for each issue. I will separate each issue here for clarity and use this thread in the future.

SECURE NOTES
    The 1Password.com server strips attachments from secure notes and stores them separately. This is apparently a “feature.” Dropbox allows me to keep the attachments with the secure notes. I make extensive use of attachments with secure notes, so I will continue to use Dropbox for storing my vaults. This explains why I had additional files after migrating.

REDUCED VAULT SIZE & MIGRATION BACK TO DROPBOX
    I attach an image showing the Vault size of the v6 & v7 vaults. Using your excellent suggestion regarding “search options”, I realized I was missing all the attachments in my primary vault (6 mb vs 115 mb). I only realized this today after making the migration yesterday. Yesterday, I tried many different options to migrate back to dropbox without success, but finally solved it. I can’t even recall the specifics, because I tried so many things. However, it ultimately involved creating a new vault on my Mac, dragging the items to the new vault, then syncing to Dropbox. However, in the process I apparently lost all my attachments. I still have the attachments in v6, so I guess I will have to manually move them form v6 to v7, unless you have another suggestion. My preference would be that 1Password.com support embedded attachments in secure notes.

USING V6 & V7 SIMULTANEOUSLY
    Refer to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/442067#Comment_442067

Henry said this was no problem. I am reluctant to attempt this… I began to try this and stopped when I got the message that the vault items would be merged. I was concerned that instead of 335 item, I would have 670 items (or possibly create other issues).

IPAD ISSUE
    I resolved the issue with my iPad by deleting the app and reinstalling the software.

Finally, it is a BIG DEAL when the behavior of 1Password differs so much between using Dropbox vs 1Password.com. Agilebits seems to think this is an improvement. I would have had a seamless upgrade to v7 if this hadn’t happened! Perhaps your software engineers should consider this. I have spent ~12 hours over the past three days trying to fix all this and I still have more work to do.

David

• nokin50
    nokin50
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

I almost forgot another question: Should I be able to see the dropbox vaults when I log into my account on 1Password.com (using Safari on my Mac)? I don't see them. I suspect this is the way it works.

• nokin50
    nokin50
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

I also noticed I linked to the wrong thread above: I add the corrected link below.

USING V6 & V7 SIMULTANEOUSLY
    Refer to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/441747#Comment_441747

Henry said this was no problem. I am reluctant to attempt this… I began to try this and stopped when I got the message that the vault items would be merged. I was concerned that instead of 335 item, I would have 670 items (or possibly create other issues).

• nokin50
    nokin50
    Community Member
    Options

More questions:
    I have previously shared certain vaults using v6 on Dropbox — I did this several years ago and have forgotten specifically how I did this. I have looked in the support section and don’t see how to do this.

The only information I now find relates to sharing with family (or Team) members using 1Password.com. Can I no longer share a vault without using 1Password.com as the host for the vault? Are only family (or team) members allowed to share a vault now?

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@nokin50 RE: using v.6 and v.7 simultaneously. Henry said it was ok to sync between v.6 devices and v.7 devices. Not using v.6 and v.7 on the same device. hth

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vplewis - well spotted, that's exactly the difference. @nokin50 - you told Henry you had one Mac using High Sierra and another using Yosemite, with 1Password 7 for Mac on the first and 1Password 6 for Mac on the second (you said 6.6.8, but I'm presuming you meant 6.8.8, since there WAS no 6.6.8), and then you asked whether 1Password data on the two could be kept in sync. Henry answered -- correctly -- that either Dropbox or a 1password.com account could be used to do that. He did not say (because you did not ask) that you could use 1Password 6 and 1Password 7 on the same device. I'm not sure whether that's what you meant to ask, but that's how it read to both @vplewis and myself. So, for the record, the former will work just fine, the latter will cause all kinds of problems. There should only ever be one copy of 1Password on any given Mac at any one time, or unusual and potentially problematic issues will arise.

I've spent hours on this and can't get it to work. It would take too long to detail everything I have tried.

With that being the case, the only way we can get a better look at what you might have done is if we have you create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#PVW-86385-636]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @nokin50 only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: PVW-86385-636

• nokin50
    nokin50
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the clarification... Henry did answer the question I meant to ask (i.e. running two versions on two different computers). After the problems I was having, I wanted to be sure if I interpreted this correctly. That is good news.

Since I wrote this, I decided to move all the vaults to 1Password.com. Right now everything seems to be OK, except for the missing attachments. I suspect moving the vaults may have reduced the value of any diagnostics at this point (?). Plus, I made some of the changes on my laptop and others on my desktop... not sure if that matters.

I think I will just try to add the attachments back manually at this point. Many of them need to be updated anyway, so this will give me an excuse to clean things up. However, I'll be back if I experience more problems!

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nokin50 - ok, sounds good to me. To be clear, there is no such thing as direct attachments any longer in 1password.com accounts. Attachments have been replaced by the more-robust Documents category. Within any item in a 1password.com vault in your 1Password for Mac setup, you can click Edit and then under Related Items, you'll see "Link Existing" and "Add New File."

Link existing is for creating a link from any other record in the same vault to this item, so it will be visible as a clickable link when you open this item in the future. The "Add New" button works similarly to the older attachment button, in that it will open a window and allow you to upload (nearly) any type of file into your 1Password database. Except, instead of being directly attached to the item you started from, it will upload as a separate Document, with a link to the record you began from. But Documents can also be searched on their own, as well as being able to be linked to any number of other records in 1Password with the "Link Existing" feature.

Let's say you buy a bundle of ten apps from Humble Bundle or MacUpdate. You get a receipt that has the price paid for all ten apps, plus the license key for many of them, all on one page. You enter ten individual new Software License items into 1Password with all the relevant data for each new app you just purchased, but you want to include a copy of the receipt, in case you need it in the future. In the past, with direct attachments, you would have to upload ten separate copies of that same receipt, one to each Software License record. Or you could upload it only once to save space, but then you'd have to leave yourself little notes in the other Software License records, reminding you in which of the ten records you'd actually uploaded the receipt. With Documents in 1password.com, you can upload the receipt one time, then link from each Software License record directly to it -- easy, and far less wasted space than uploading it ten times redundantly. Let us know if you have questions. :)

• nokin50
    nokin50
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the detailed explanation!
    I had a vague idea how the linked documents worked, but this helped a quite a bit.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.