How do I setup my 1Password item to autofill my Secret Key when logging into: my.1password.com?

I'm trying to setup my 1Password item to auto fill my Secret Key along with my 1Password username and password when logging into 1Password online.

I am logging into: https://my.1password.com/signin?a=new

The username and the password auto fill but the secret key field does not. What do I need to do to resolve?

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:secret key

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

I don't know if this will help you or not, but since I first filled in my secret key, it has not been required again. The web site seem to remember that.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @johnsmithau,

@hawkmoth is correct in that the browser should remember the secret key for you but there are scenarios where for various reasons it might not be the case. To create a working Login item you will need to do one of the following.

1. Save this 1PIF (1Password Interchange Format) file to your Desktop.
    2. Drag the saved 1PIF file to the 1Password icon in the macOS dock.
    3. Click the "View Imported Items" button.
    4. Edit the Login item and click the View Saved Form Details button.
    5. Replace the placeholder values for the email, secret-key and Master Password. The secret key is to be placed in the field titled account-key.
    6. Save.

If you prefer to do it manually you can do this as well.

1. Create a new Login item from inside the main 1Password window.
    2. Set an appropriate title and website field.
    3. Add your email address as the username and Master Password as the password.
    4. Save.
    5. Edit the Login item and click the View Saved Form Details button.
    6. Edit the label for the username from username to email. Set the type of the field for the username from text to email.
    7. Add a third field, leaving the type to the default text and set the label to account-key. Add your secret key as the value of the field.
    8. Save.

In both cases you should now have a 1Password item that allows a very specific filling strategy to be used and this strategy will fill all three fields when needed. If you find this doesn't work please let me know.

• johnsmithau
    johnsmithau
    Community Member

Hi littlebobbytables,

Your instructions were helpful and allowed me to rectify the issue. I can now auto-fill my username, secret key and password from my 1Password item.

Thanks for your assistance!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of lil bobby, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well again. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• dougxd
    dougxd
    Community Member

I'm on 7.1.567 for PC. I can't seem to find a way to edit form fields. At all. Suggestions?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dougxd,

1Password 7 for Windows doesn't seem to allow adding fields but you should be able to alter the value of existing fields. So you'll need to import the 1PIF (1Password Interchange Format) file I linked to. When you edit the item click where it says Web form details and you'll be able to view and alter the values for the web form details. Does that help get this working for you?

• dougxd
    dougxd
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Nope. Can't edit those imported fields either. Incidentally, I can't edit or add web form fields in the iOS app either. Soon as I tap "Edit" to edit the login and then tap "Saved Form Details", I'm bumped out of edit mode I guess.

**EDIT -- Same thing on Android 8.1 on my Galaxy S7 Edge. I don't presently own a Mac.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @dougxd,

With iOS that's unfortunately to be expected. I can't comment on Android but the surprise is Windows, it should work there.

1. Does the 1PIF seem to import successfully?
    2. Can you reach the Web form details section whilst in edit mode?
    3. Does it allow you to select the value for any field?
  • dougxd
    dougxd
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

The import is successful. However, I can't edit the fields. Like I said above, after I enter edit mode, I can see the fields, but can't edit them. Unless there's a special keyboard combination I need to use, there is no means to edit the fields. The labels remain light gray and unclickable. I can modify the values of whatever web form stuff is listed.

I'd be happy to do some screenshotting or whatever, just not in a public forum.

***EDIT -- Maybe I can explain it better like this:

• No matter what, I cannot CREATE or REMOVE web form fields.
    • I CANNOT modify the label of the web form field
    • I CAN modify values of existing field labels
  • littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dougxd,

The ability to add/remove fields in the web form details is a feature that hasn't been added to 1Password 7 for Windows yet. Despite that particular difference between Mac and Windows, what I detailed above will still work. The item you import from the 1PIF is already set up with all the correct fields, they just need their values amended to properly reflect the details you want 1Password to use. As long as you can modify the field value you just need to update the three fields and save.

• dougxd
    dougxd
    Community Member

Roger that! That's what I've done and it's working just fine. Look forward to seeing this ability added for the rest of us.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

:smile:

This discussion has been closed.