Attachments in Secure Notes detached when moving from Dropbox to 1Password Server

Options
nokin50
nokin50
Community Member

Not sure if this is a bug or a “feature.”

I upgraded from v6 to v7 and added a family plan on a trial basis. I use the software on two Macs, iPhone & iPad — all using the lates OS. I have always used dropbox for sync, but intended to use the 1Password servers to host all four of my vaults. I share three of the vaults with other people.

I include many attachments in Secure Notes. I began the migration with the first vault and noticed there were many more items in the migrated vault, than in the original. On inspection, I noticed that all the attachments were disassociated from the secure notes after migrating and were included as separate items. Apparently, the 1Password servers don’t support this, where Dropbox does — as do vaults stored locally on my Mac. This is a problem that probably impact few users — most people probably don’t use secure notes in this manner. However, it just seems odd that it is only a problem that occurs on 1Password servers — an area where things should work the best!

Is there a way to move these vaults to the 1Password server without having this problem. If not, can this be addressed as a bug and fixed? Not sure if it is worth it to keep the family plan if this can’t be accomplished.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: Dropbox & 1Password Servers

Comments

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @nokin50! Indeed, 1Password accounts keep your documents separate from your other items, rather than together as attachments. If you'd like to connect them, you can link them as "Related Items". :)

• nokin50
    nokin50
    Community Member
    Options

So this is a "Feature"? It sure isn't good for me! I guess I won't expect a fix then... although I'm not sure how this benefits anyone.

It still very odd that 1Password servers can't provide the same level of service as Dropbox.

Guess i'll stick with Dropbox... probably don't need to buy server space from 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Documents are separate items so that they can be virtually any size, and without being automatically downloaded to all devices when setting up. Those are big limitations with local vaults and Dropbox sync, and customers have long been requesting that we get rid of those limitations. It's certainly a bit different, and if you don't like it because of that it's okay. But there's a lot of flexibility to benefit from. It's worth considering rather than dismissing out of hand. :)

This discussion has been closed.