Attachment separation with incorrect modification date when migrating items to Families account

Options
jaysee_au
jaysee_au
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I use 1Password many times a day. When viewing items in 1Password, I always use the “sort by date modified” and am often working with a few recent items at the top of the list. I had been meaning to bite the bullet and move to 1Password families and away from Dropbox for a while now, and finally bit the bullet today after the 1Password 7 broke the sync (it probably still works, but was asking me to re-link and I thought “ok, I’ve been meaning to migrate so I'll do it now”).

I created and set up my account, but when I moved my 500-odd logins to my private account, I noticed that the count of items wasn’t the same as the local one. On closer inspection, there were lots of attachments in the new server accounts (that seemed to have been split from the old “on my Mac” / Dropbox sync ones).

When I look at the old vaults, the items are still there and merged (i.e. the attachments are in the item only).

On my Mac before moving...

Families Account after moving items...

In splitting out the attachments, I can see that they are still linked (i.e. I can click the attachment from the item and it goes to it) but the modification date of all the many attachments are all listed as today which is frustrating as now my 1Password is full of items with pointless names (i.e. "Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 3.52.19 PM.png - My AppleID iCloud”) instead of just one neat entry as in the past, and my ‘recent’ items is full of attachments with silly names (as I never really re-named attachments I was throwing into 1Password).

Am I doing something wrong here? Is there some way to avoid this? 🤔🤷‍♂️

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-12
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox / On my Mac / Families

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi @jaysee_au

Thanks for the feedback on this. I understand the currrent behavior is less than desirable to you, but it is working as intended (i.e. it isn’t a bug). With 1Password membership vaults there are no attachments... there are Documents, which in some ways are similar to attachments, but as you’ve noted they live independently of any items they might be linked to. In this way they are more flexible than attachments — for example, one Document can be linked to many Login items, whereas with attachments you would’ve needed to separately maintain an attachment on each of those Logins. The difficulty with the modification date bit is that I don’t believe we store that information for attachments... So when we migrate them to Documents we don’t have any data to work off of. One possibility might be to use the last modified time of the parent item. Would that help?

Ben

ref: NXM-18782-126

• jaysee_au
    jaysee_au
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben.

Thanks for responding. I understand the restrictions - and going forward I will paste the data from most of my notes into a text field - historically I was dragging the downloaded Google "recovery codes.txt" file into the attachments well. For screenshots I'll rename the document when adding it to 1Password.

Reflecting on this a bit more, I think using the last modified date for the original item would be a logical choice for the new attachment's modification date - given that will reflect the last change to the item (either its own data or the attachment).

That said, I guess ultimately it's a short term issue - as my scroll history sorted by date will not show them in a week or so (i.e. I don't usually scroll back more than a week) but I as just taken aback when my passwords list was filled with unknown files (i.e. lots of files called the same thing, or screenshots of recovery codes, etc. without accurate names).

Overall, I'd think that it'd be a better experience when a user moves items to a new vault that doesn't support in-item attachments to:

a) explain that attachments are now documents (could only show when people are moving items with attachments to explain - I'd guess many people would check to make sure the qty of items in the new account match the old account like I did after migrating).

and

b) use the last modified date for that attachment

Cheers,
    John

• Ben
    Options

Thanks much for the feedback John. :)

Ben

• jaysee_au
    jaysee_au
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben,

Sorry to bring this back up, but I finally sat down this morning to migrate my data to Families - figuring "Ok, I'll live with the modification date issue for a week and spend the time renaming the files created". But as I moved 1200 items from my local vault to the families vault, I noticed a few items in the middle of the list also with incorrect modification dates.

I then tried the same process from my laptop (which has the same local vaults synced via dropbox). Same issue.

I don't understand what's going on between local and cloud vaults to cause this issue, but there seems to be some issues with modification dates, and I just can't trust the system if it's making these kinds of mistakes.

Any ideas for a way to audit that the migration from Local Vault to Families is working? Am I doing it the right way by choosing "Right Click -> Share -> Move -> Vault"?

For now I've reverted to Local Vaults synced on Dropbox and have cancelled the Family Plan sadly as I've wasted a couple of hours this morning trying to get this all migrated. 🤷‍♂️

Cheers, John

• Jacob
    Options

@jaysee_au Thanks for the update, and I'm sorry about the delay responding here – a lot of people have been asking about 1Password 7 for Windows and Mac so we've been super busy with emails and other forum threads.

The modification dates would indeed change when you move things with the menu items you mentioned. 1Password 7 has a built-in migrator that you can use by clicking Help > Tools > Migrate Primary Vault to Account. For now you're welcome to stay with a local vault though if you'd like.

This discussion has been closed.