Locked App. Fingerprint option no longer presented and can't log in

Options
thespike
thespike
Community Member

I was in the settings of the app and used the Lock option in the security settings to lock the app. Now the app no longer gives me the option to open it using my finger print and only offers the master password option. Since I've not used that option for quite a while I have no idea what that password is.

How do I re-enable the fingerprint option so I can get to my passwords?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS11
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• thespike
    thespike
    Community Member
    Options

So I've restored my iphone from the last backup and low the fingerprint was there. And low it disappeared and insisted on the Master Password when I pressed it.

I've no idea what the Master Password is. I set it when the app started months ago and have never needed it since.

So how do I get to unlock with a valid fingerprint when the option isn't there?

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@thespike It's of utmost importance that you always remember your Master Password. If you don't, you will sooner or later be locked out of your 1Password vault. There are many occasions when you'll be required to unlock your vault with your Master Password instead of your fingerprint, and it sounds like your current scenario (having locked it manually in Settings) is one of those. There is literally no way into your vault other than by typing in your Master Password now.

You can try following our guide here—it has helped people in your position in the past. For example, if you type in an incorrect Master Password three times, you'll see the password hint you originally set.

If that doesn't help, we'd be happy to help you start fresh with a new vault and an Emergency Kit to help you remember your Master Password. Let us know. :)

• thespike
    thespike
    Community Member
    Options

Well that's just dandy. Would have been nice to know that enabling the fingerprint means you still need the master password. I get no hint when I've got it wrong. I've definitely got it wrong more than three times.

Guess I'll delete this app use something else that hints that trusting apple security is not enough.

• Ben
    Options

@thespike,

I realize this doesn’t exactly help at this point, but we do actually make that warning:

You can try to remember your Master Password indefinitely. There is no limit to the number of times you can make an attempt.

Ben

• thespike
    thespike
    Community Member
    Options

I'll give you that one.

• Ben
    Options

Fair enough.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.