1Password just uninstalled itself on its own

Options
architekt
architekt
Community Member
edited June 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I just turned my computer on (Win 10 x64) and got a popup saying something about can't rename 1password.exe (I forgot the full path, but it's where 1Password installs itself to). I noticed that at this time the process that was listed in my task manager was for 1password set up, so maybe it was trying to auto update itself and failed? Luckily it didn't uninstall my browser plugins, just the desktop client which I've reinstalled. But it did full uninstall itself: couldn't find 1pw in the start menu or on disk. Anyway, the error message was just a standard Windows file system error regarding the renaming. Simple enough for me to reinstall but I worry about it happening with say my mom who isn't technically knowledgeable. Not sure what other info I can give you...since I had to reinstall it just now it's possible that the version number that caused the issue is older.

Edit: ya ok it had to have been an update. I just checked the release notes and today there was an update. Which means that the version I had prior was 1 revision back so that would have been 7.0.558. Today's release is 7.1.567. So I would imagine that this is the culprit. I have auto update set to "automatically update when app is locked" as well as to start 1pw at Windows sign in.

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 x64
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• joemat
    joemat
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

I just turned auto update off because of this, I'm constantly getting an error that it deletefile failed code 32 when trying to update to 7.1.567. when performing an update and constantly getting popups to download the latest 1password when I've already done it.

I don't like being an unpaid qa engineer. Get it somewhat right before releasing it.

• K_nc
    K_nc
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. All was good when I powered off last night. After booting up this morning, 1PW is nowhere to be found on my drive.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello guys,

I am really sorry for the troubles with the update process and I can totally understand how inconvenient it is for you.

Do you by any chance use Malwarebytes or any other AV/anti-malware software? If you do, this software might be the culprit here, please see this neighbour thread.

If you are using Malwarebytes, please try to use the workaround from that topic to install or update 1Password. If you are using a different AV software, please specify it in your reply. You can also try to whitelist 1Password there and check, if the issue with the update remains after that.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.