Generate passwords on iPad? And other questions.

SamVimes2
SamVimes2
Community Member
edited December 1969 in iOS
Hi,

I'm a new user who's just purchased 1Password Touch Pro for use on my iPhone and iPad. I have several questions. I do not use or have access to a Mac.

1) How do I generate secure passwords using 1PTouch?
2) How do I sync data between my iPhone and iPad?
3) Can the arrow button simulate clicking the 'login' button of a website, saving me a click?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Hi, Sam!

1. In the 1Password app on your iPhone, you can tap Passwords, then tap the "+" button in the top right corner of the Passwords list page.
    In the 1Password app on your iPad, though, the Strong Password Generator is available only during the process of creating a new Account item. (We expect to add it to the "new Login" process in a future release.)

2. The 1Password apps sync only with 1Password on the Mac. We hope to add more options in the future.
    For now, be sure to back up your 1Password data to your computer (I know from another forum that it's a PC) using the Backup & Restore feature built in to the 1Password app on your iPhone and iPad.

3. The 1Password apps on the iPad only fill the fields with your saved login credentials; you have to submit the form with another tap.

I hope that helps, Sam. Please let us know if you have any other questions.
  • SamVimes2
    SamVimes2
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks David. The quick replies on this forum by the team are very impressive.

1. I'm mostly using the iPad right now - it's a far better browsing experience than the iPhone. I can create a dummy account entry, generate a strong password, then copy/paste it into a login entry, but the workflow is clunky. I look forward to a release that streamlines the process.

2. Can this backup/restore feature be used to "sync" data between the iPhone and iPad? In another forum post it seemed so, but details were not provided...something about making sure both devices had a 4-character passcode?

3. Got it.
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    SamVimes2 wrote:
    Thanks David. The quick replies on this forum by the team are very impressive.

We appreciate your comment greatly. We try to provide fast and accurate coverage for all our support mechanisms.

1. I'm mostly using the iPad right now - it's a far better browsing experience than the iPhone. I can create a dummy account entry, generate a strong password, then copy/paste it into a login entry, but the workflow is clunky. I look forward to a release that streamlines the process.

Once you've created a Logins item you can just click on the item's Web site / URL area (the line with the right-arrow). That will launch the page using our built-in web browser, and load the field values you have saved. No Copy/Paste needed!

2. Can this backup/restore feature be used to "sync" data between the iPhone and iPad? In another forum post it seemed so, but details were not provided...something about making sure both devices had a 4-character passcode?

Basically, if you don't have 1Password Mac you need to follow the instructions to backup the 1Password data on one "iDevice" to a computer (pc, Linux, Mac) and then restore to the other "iDevice". The backup instructions for iPhone and iPod touch are here and for iPad are here.
  • SamVimes2
    SamVimes2
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi Marty,

Sorry for not being clearer. The clunky workflow comesin creating a new account entry, not in using an existing one. Say I join a new forum (this one for example) and I want to use a secure password. I have to create the secure password in a dummy accounts entry, then copy/paste it into the real logins entry. I'd prefer a 'generate' button in the logins entry.

I agree that once the logins entry is created, the workflow is smooth.
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    SamVimes2 wrote:
    Sorry for not being clearer. The clunky workflow comesin creating a new account entry, not in using an existing one. Say I join a new forum (this one for example) and I want to use a secure password. I have to create the secure password in a dummy accounts entry, then copy/paste it into the real logins entry. I'd prefer a 'generate' button in the logins entry.

You're absolutely right. If you can create an item (of any type) that has a password field, you should be able to generate a password to populate that field. We will work on improving this in the future.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    SamVimes2 wrote:

There have been some reports of the master password on the backed-up device being transferred to the restored-to device. I've seen it on my own iPhone and iPad, for example, but not everyone has had the same experience.

In another thread, I recommended setting the master password on both devices to exactly four digits (0–9) before doing the backup. In my experiments, that allowed me access to 1Password on the restored-to device. I currently have the unlock code set to the same four digits (on the iPhone), but that's not as secure a setup as I'd like to maintain.

If I can get some more specific (and reproducible) details, I'll add them to this thread.
  • SamVimes2
    SamVimes2
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    That's what I thought I read. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. Thanks very much for the continued support.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    This online article includes an important tip about using the built-in Backup & Restore feature to "sync" data between iPads, iPhones, and iPod touches:
  • howardgr
    edited December 1969
    Has anyone else noticed that you can't paste a password you've created yourself into 1Password for iPad?
    Create a new account on a website. Create your own password. Copy it, and attempt to create a new Login and paste into the "password" field where "your password" is the text. The only option that comes up when you press your finger on the field is "Copy" and it tries to copy the text "your password."
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forums, howardgr!

howardgr wrote:
    Has anyone else noticed that you can't paste a password into [new entries] on 1Password for iPad?

We have noticed now! Thank you very much for reporting this. I just did some testing and when creating a new Login on in 1Password Pro on the iPad I was not able to paste into the password or username fields for that Login.

I can't make any promises about when an update with a fix will be available to users (we've got lots of improvements in the works), but the team will certainly be looking into this.

Cheers,

-j
  • SamVimes2
    SamVimes2
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi howardgr,
    Until they fix it, you can in fact work around this. Type a single letter, then you should be able to paste. Delete the single dummy character. This bugged me at first until I figured it out.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for that post, SamVimes2!
This discussion has been closed.