How should you handle multiple sites (URLs) using the same credentials?

I've got a number of different sites that share account information, for example:

• Skype and Microsoft Azure
  • Amazon.com and Amazon AWS

but each site has its own URL (and web form details).

Ideally, I'd store them as a single item in 1Password since there is really only one underlying account. But even if I add multiple URLs to the item, 1Password only ever opens the first one when I select the item in the browser extension and only has one set of web form details saved.

If I store them as separate items, I can select which one I want to open from within the browser extension, but then I have to duplicate the login credentials and keep them in sync if anything changes.

Is there a recommended way to handle this situation (or is this really a feature request)?

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password membership

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @davidgeary,

I can't speak to Microsoft Azure but I would have thought that both it and Skype both lead to the same sign-in portal at login.live.com. If they don't, if there are two very distinct domains that invisibly connect to the same authentication server in the background then that would be where multiple website fields come into play. If the question is about open-and-fill with multiple website fields then it will probably be of interest to learn that you can click on a specific website field to initiate open-and-fill.

With Amazon and Amazon AWS, I'm almost a bit surprised to learn you'd use the same account for both. Maybe that's what they intended but I just imagined most people would create completely separate accounts for those two very distinct services.

• davidgeary
    davidgeary
    Community Member

Yes, I think Azure and Skype both redirect to login.live.com so you only need to store one set of form fields, but having just one vault item with that URL would mean that you would have to log in and then manually navigate to the specific service URL - not a particularly user-friendly way of doing it.

As for Amazon, IIRC it's based on your email address, so if you have a business account with amazon.com and an AWS account, you'd have to use different email addresses for each if you don't want them to share the same account credentials.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @davidgeary,

Did the details about open-and-fill help then, that you can specify which is used or was the issue you were experiencing something not what I thought it was?

This discussion has been closed.