Confused? Old Password accesses all my old and new vaults. New password doesn't work

Options
Seneca
Seneca
Community Member

By the way support his always been great here in the past, so I appreciate any help with my current issue.

I was running one password 6 synced by Dropbox on two Apple computers and several iOS devices. I upgraded to 1password 7 for families yesterday. Everything appeared to go smoothly including creating a new vault. Scanning the QR code to upgrade from my Iphone was actually smooth and pretty cool.

When I attempted to log into my primary Macintosh computer ( I set everything up on my MacBook Pro) it would not accept the new password. After punching it in several times, I decided on a whim to put my old password in and boom not only did 1password open but I have access to the new vaults that I created.

My questions: why does my new password access my old vault which is on dropbox?

Why does the new password not work?

My current configuration shows the new vault I created yesterday.

A second vault with no content which I created yesterday.

And on my Mac, a vault label "primary" synced via Dropbox. My old password from several versions of 1password gives me access to everything.

I can't imagine I'm an edge case. I just want to get everything sinking up via Agilebits and move away from Dropbox and use a more robust password that I just created to access my 1password account.

Can anybody please link me up with any directions for the best way to move away from Dropbox syncing with the previous version of 1password to syncing on Agile Bits servers and make sure that I am not locked out from my account?

Thank You.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Seneca
    Seneca
    Community Member
    Options

By the way support his always been great here in the past, so I appreciate any help with my current issue.

I was running one password 6 synced by Dropbox on two Apple computers and several iOS devices. I upgraded to 1password 7 for families yesterday. Everything appeared to go smoothly including creating a new vault. When I attempted to log into my primary Macintosh computer ( I set everything up on my MacBook Pro) it would not accept the new password. After punching it in several times, I decided on a whim to put my old password in and boom not only did one password open but I have access to the new vault that I created.

My questions: why does my new password access my old vault which is on dropbox?

Why does the new password not work?

Can anybody link me up with directions for the best way to move away from Dropbox syncing with the previous version of 1password and make sure that I am not locked out from my account?

My current configuration shows the new vault I created yesterday. A second vault with no content which I created yesterday. And on my Mac, a fault label primary synced via Dropbox.

Thank You.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Seneca! The reason your new Master Password isn't working on your primary Mac is because the Master Password of the first vault added to the app remains the Master Password to unlock that app until it is removed.

For this reason, I'd recommend keeping it so that all of your vaults have the same Master Password.

Also, if you're interested in moving away from the sometimes-temperamental Dropbox syncing, you can have a peek at a 1Password account—it brings many benefits including seamless syncing of all your vaults, and you can sign up here and learn how to migrate all your data and devices to your new account with our wonderful guide here/

Let me know how that helps and I'm always here for more. :)

• Seneca
    Seneca
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Henry thanks for the reply.

I've been busy the last couple of days, so I haven't had a chance to tinker I will check out the guide.

I do have one follow-up question.

**I'm a little surprised that my old password opens up the keys to the kingdom including the new vaults on the one password account that I set up. I'm now little nervous about removing the dropbox vault since this password is accessing everything.

I would've guessed that the old password from the Dropbox account would only access the version 6 vault on Dropbox, not the new vaults.**

So now I effectively have two passwords depending on the device? The new password does not work on my primary computer.

My wife and I share many devices and an Apple id for many functions I am hoping this does not create issues for her having her own vault which was one of the goals of the upgrade.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Seneca

So now I effectively have two passwords depending on the device? The new password does not work on my primary computer.

As Henry mentioned, whatever Master Password was used when initially setting up a device will remain that device's Master Password unless you specifically change it. When you went through the process of creating your 1Password Families account, if you'd chosen the same Master Password as the one you were already using for your standalone 1Password setup in version 6, you'd never even have noticed this, because the two would've been the same. But because 1password.com cannot know that you have standalone data, you are able to choose a different Master Password...which you did.

What I'm not clear on is whether 1Password 7 for Mac imported your previous data -- if you initially installed 1Password 7 on a Mac where there was existing data from 1Password 6 and you chose to create a new 1password.com account in the process, the installer should have imported your old, version 6 data immediately into your 1password.com account. Dropbox should not be a factor. Given that you're using a number of devices, at this point, to get a better idea of what data is on which devices, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#SJL-54428-151]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @Seneca only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: SJL-54428-151

• Seneca
    Seneca
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Lars,

Thanks for the reply. Based upon the key residing on the device I guess it makes sense to me that each device would have a separate password. I appreciate the post above and would like to get my one password account dialed in.

I do have one question. When I select all four of the vaults that I created (two that have no content including the shared vault) there are duplicate entries. When I select the legacy account which is called primary which has to be my dropbox account there are no duplicates. Would this also be a pretty good indication that everything transferred over when I created the Agile account?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the reply. Based upon the key residing on the device I guess it makes sense to me that each device would have a separate password. I appreciate the post above and would like to get my one password account dialed in.

@Seneca: Just to clarify, no matter what kind of 1Password setup you have, the Master Password is not stored there; it's simply used as an input to encrypt and decrypt the data. So what we're talking about is having a different vault setup on different devices with different Master Passwords used to create them.

I do have one question. When I select all four of the vaults that I created (two that have no content including the shared vault) there are duplicate entries. When I select the legacy account which is called primary which has to be my dropbox account there are no duplicates. Would this also be a pretty good indication that everything transferred over when I created the Agile account?

The Primary vault is not an account or part of one; it's a local vault stored only on the device. You're close, but what you're looking for is the Personal/Private vault which is part of your 1Password.com account. If all of your data is there, then everything is in your account, and the Primary vault can be safely removed.

This discussion has been closed.