Password other than base 10

wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

I’ve had an issue with a Toshiba device which is that their wifi Flash Air SD card has a Hex encoded Master Code. How does 1Password handle non alpha numeric passwords (MAC address here)

https://flashair-developers.com/en/documents/tutorials/web/6/

Comments

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. A hex encoded key is just a string of digits and the letters A – F. You can store that in 1Password just as you can store any other password.

Perhaps you are asking if the 1Password Strong Password Generator can generate such things. The answer is "no". We do not enable expose a "recipe" for generating such things. But if you want to generate something random that has the same format as a MAC address you could do this on Unix-like operating systems (including macOS) in a Terminal window

$ openssl rand -hex 6

That will give you a random result that looks like f6e90f24982a. If you need the ":" characters in there, you can just add them manually, or do something like

$ openssl rand -hex 6 | sed -e 's/\(..\)/\1:/g' | sed -e 's/.$//'

There is almost certainly a cleaner way to do this, but it's late and my command line skills have grown rusty. Anyway, that will get you a random string that has the format of a MAC address.

But then again, I have probably misunderstood the question.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Apologies if I wasn’t clear. Hexadecimal (and non decimal) is completely foreign to me. Thanks for your input.

• Hexadecimal, in simplist terms, is where instead of 0-9 being the available digits (decimal) you instead have 0-F. You have 0-9, which represent the same values they do in decimal, but then you also have A-F which represent 10-15. This page may help: https://www.calculator.net/hex-calculator.html

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Thanks Ben.

Now, to play with PCalc! :)

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.