Is there a way to config the complexity of the generated passwords?

Some websites just accept password with min 8 and max 16 characters, but 1passwordX generates passwords with 20 characters, or, in other websites, some characters used by 1PasswordX are not accepted. Can I change this config to reduce the number of characters and choose what characters it can use?
I'm using 1PasswordX version 1.7.3

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ubuntu 18.04
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Is there a way to config the complexity of the generated passwords?

Comments

• Welcome to the forum, @dpicon! The password generator in 1Password X defaults to 20 characters but it's possible to adjust this number however you like, along with enabling/disabling numbers and symbols as needed. There isn't a way to exclude specific characters, however.

I hope that helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can help clarify. 🙂

• ptr727
    ptr727
    Community Member

Where do you change the settings in the Chrome extension?
    E.g. the US Social Security website requires symbols, so I had to add them by hand.
    It would be cool if 1Password can list a few options of passwords to pick from, e.g. long text, short symbols, text and symbols.

• @ptr727: The password generator settings can be adjusted directly from the popup:

The "Suggested Password" in the inline menu doesn't currently use the preferences you set within the popup, however. We might add a setting to allow for this but we're also wanting to make the password suggestions smarter based on the website's requirements. Mitch goes into a bit more detail about this here.

• ptr727
    ptr727
    Community Member

Ah, I was looking in settings, I was not expecting settings in a menu that is not settings.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, you can customize how passwords are generated in 1Password X's password generator. And we've got some more cool stuff coming too. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.