Managing passwords for family members

Options
Lance Lawton
Lance Lawton
Community Member

After a few years' prevarication, I've finally decided to switch from licence to personal account. A while back I investigated the families facility, but decided not to go with it at that point. The impression I got was that with a families setup I'd be able to be a kind of administrator for other family members, such that I'd manage their logins and passwords, and they'd just use them when they needed them. That would have a lot going for it with older and/or less tech nerdy family members who just don't understand and/or don't want to know about online security, and want to use the same 6-character password for everything, etc.

But as I'm investigating it all now, I can't seem to find any references to that kind of operation. All I can glean is that family members share an account, and can have shared vaults containing common items. I get that that would be good. But it's not what I thought I identified before for helping geek-challenged folks. Can anyone help me? Does the kind of functionality I've described exist, or did I imagine it or something ...?

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lance Lawton
    Lance Lawton
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I think I've found the answer for myself. It seems I need to setup separate shared vaults for each family member, shared between me and the respective family member, with all their items in that vault and none in their personal vault. Got it I think.

I guess I might comment that I needed to google this, eventually getting the answer on another site. It would be good if this info was explicitly incorporated into the help docs on 1password.com > families. It seems to me it would be helpful to have. Maybe put it in a FAQ, for instance?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Lance Lawton: While there are certainly cases when it's desirable or necessary to manage things for a family member, it's very much a case-by-case sort of thing, so it's not something we can recommend or try to document. What you've settled on sounds like it should be a good fit for you, but I did also want to mention that some folks find it useful to invite a family member as a guest so that they have access to only a single vault you share with them -- no Private/Personal vault. Maybe not a good fit for your case, and certainly most people want a private place to be able to save data. But something to consider.

• Lance Lawton
    Lance Lawton
    Community Member
    Options

OK, thanks Brenton. That could be a good option with some members of the family. Follow-on question: would a guest count as one of the 5 included members?

• Ben
    Options

No, they are counted separately. :)

Ben

• Lance Lawton
    Lance Lawton
    Community Member
    Options

great, thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni