Running 1Password 4.76.2.626 off a USB stick?

Options

I'd like to do some work on a public PC in a library which is very tied down in what it can do. Is there a way to create a USB stick at home with my passwords suitably protected, and bring along to use on the library PC, with no possibility of any passwords being left on that PC once I've removed the USB stick? It'll need to be encrypted in case the USB stick gets lost.
thanks
Simonides

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi @simonides,

Thank you for getting in touch! I moved your thread to 1Password 4 for Windows topic, since you are using it. I hope you do not mind.

There is no portable version of 1Password 4 for Windows available and we have no plans to make a portable version of 1Password 7. Even if it is running on USB drive, the computer has to share its memory to decrypt your 1Password content. Also, please see this reply from Mike in a different thread about this suggestion.

If you want to get access to your passwords on public computers, understand that while it is your decision, there is nothing that can protect you if the machine is compromised. So we never recommend accessing sensitive or important data in that environment. Using 1Password on a mobile device of your own would be a better option. With a 1Password account , it is possible to access your data across all of your devices -- browsers too, but the last thing we want is for someone to have important data stolen due to accessing it in an unsafe environment; it's best to use a device you control and can trust for something so critical.

Let me know if it helps. If you have other questions, feel free to raise them in a return email. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• simonides
    simonides
    Community Member
    Options

Greg, thanks for your answer that there's no portable version of 1Password 4 for Windows. I've exported to Keepass on a USB stick for travelling around so that's answered now.

I'm a little confused about the new versions of 1PW, as when I check for newer versions in 1PW4 it states that I'm running the latest version. What are the new versions? Why won't 1PW4 upgrade itself?

thanks
    Simonides.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greg, thanks for your answer that there's no portable version of 1Password 4 for Windows. I've exported to Keepass on a USB stick for travelling around so that's answered now.

@simonides: I'm sorry that it's not something we're able to offer, but Glad Greg was able to help.

I'm a little confused about the new versions of 1PW, as when I check for newer versions in 1PW4 it states that I'm running the latest version. What are the new versions? Why won't 1PW4 upgrade itself?

Indeed, sorry for the confusion there. The is no direct upgrade to 1Password 4. 1Password 7 is a brand new app we've built from the ground up with the latest Microsoft technologies, and since it's a separate purchase we don't want folks to upgrade to it accidentally and have a bad experience. This way it's available to those who want it, and we don't nag anyone who is happy with what they have. :)

But...since you asked, you can find more details in the announcement:

1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.