No network connection to 1Password currently available [Known issue with Proton and Nord VPN]

TobiasAT
TobiasAT
Community Member
edited June 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello, I use 1Password 7 on Windows 10 in combination with a VPN connection through ProtonVPN. Now I saw 1P disconnects the connection shortly after I'm connected to a VPN server. If I disconnect the VPN connection 1Password is back online. It's a private PC, no proxy used.

1. Do you know why 1P has issues to connect through a VPN? Currently I have no access to another VPN provider for an additional test.
  2. Please can you improve the notification if 1P has lost the network connection. The small icon in the title bar is really not enough. I was now disconnected for some days and found the icon because some data were not updated during the last days. Maybe an inline, text notification.

Thanks and best regards
Tobias

1Password Version: 7.0.558
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TobiasAT,

Thank you for reporting this! I have not seen any reports about ProtonVPN, so we need to investigate.

Please create a Diagnostics Report from your PC, where you bumped into this issue and attach it to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com.

Do not post your Diagnostic Report in the forums, but please include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox. You should also receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Suapport ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report on our side. Thanks in advance!

P.S. I will make sure to pass your suggestion about the visibility of the no network indication to our team. :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• TobiasAT
    TobiasAT
    Community Member

Hi @Greg, thanks for the reply. Ok, I sent the report, my support ID is PQZ-48559-361.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TobiasAT,

Thank you for the report, I've found it on our side. We will take a look and get back to you via email.

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: PQZ-48559-361

• DarylJ
    DarylJ
    Community Member

Same issue here using corporate VPN and proxy server.

-DJ

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DarylJ,

Could you please also share a Diagnostics Report from your PC, using the instructions above?

Thanks in advance!

++
    Greg

• andkan7917
    andkan7917
    Community Member

Hello.
    I have the same issue with NordVPN. Any solutions?

• @andkan7917 we might have something for you soon on beta channel, we'll keep you updated here.

• TobiasAT
    TobiasAT
    Community Member

@Greg @andkan7917 Just to note, my issue with ProtonVPN was solved with the last beta release 7.1.567. Since I installed the release the connection to 1Password is stable.

• Hi @TobiasAT,

That's odd since we haven't included any fixes in the public beta or stable (7.1.567 is stable and beta) yet. It's going to be in the first 7.2 beta 1.

Is it possible your Proton VPN isn't connected yet? I can still reproduce it here with the latest stable release.

• TobiasAT
    TobiasAT
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Hi @MikeT,

Hm, yeah that's strange. I tested the VPN now with 3 countries and the connection to 1Password is still stable. 1Password includes also no "disconnected icon" compared to the last test.

Some days ago ProtonVPN released an update for the Windows client, version 1.5.1. Maybe they added some changes to their client? Or I thought you were in contact with them and they fixed something too. :)
    I will send you an additional diagnostic log to my current ticket.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TobiasAT,

Thank you for working with us! We really appreciate your cooperation. :chuffed:

That is quite strange indeed. We will look into their latest update and get back to you via email. Thanks again! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• andkan7917
    andkan7917
    Community Member

My Problem started in the 7.1.567 version. Or at least I noticed it there. Maby the version before. I think the new interface is superb. I really like it. I do not think there where any icons for when you not where connected in the previous versions. It was because of that I noticed it. I do always use the vpn.

andkan7917

• QNimbus
    QNimbus
    Community Member

I seem to be having the same issue/problem when connecting through a VPN. Strange things is however, that I'm using a private OpenVPN server on my own home IP address from where I normally connect to 1Password when I'm at home. I use my VPN when travelling abroad. Since I'm using my own home IP address (and not that of a known ISP/Provider/VPN hoster) I'm guessing it has nothing to do with GeoIP blocking, but it's an underlying network issue?

If you need more details please let me know....

Kind regards,

Bas

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@andkan7917: Interesting, because we specifically made some changes in the latest version to help work around issues with these services, and others have reported success. If you disable the VPN, does 1Password immediately connect normally again?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@QNimbus: I'm using OpenVPN here too, so I don't think it's anything to do with the app so much as your VPN configuration. It seems like things are being rerouted incorrectly or not at all in these cases. If you disconnect from the VPN, is 1Password able to connect to the server again? It sounds like you configured the VPN settings yourself, so perhaps you'd have some insight into what about your configuration might be causing this.

• andkan7917
    andkan7917
    Community Member

I have not noticed this problem in earlier versions, but yes, my 1password is able to connect emidetly after I disconnect the VPN.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @andkan7917,

Are there any updates available for NordVPN on your side? I am asking you this, because ProtonVPN released an update recently that fixed this issue with their VPN. Please let us know.

Additionally, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from 1Password on your PC, where you have these issues:

Sending Diagnostics Reports

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostic Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report.

Cheers,
    Greg

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Hi, I'm using NordVPN version 6.13.13.0 on Windows 10 and I don't have the problem described by OP. 1Password is running 7.1.567.
    No matter if the VPN is already running or if I connect it while 1Password is already started, there's no disconnect symbol.
    I am connecting from Germany to a German VPN server and I have an account on 1Password.eu.

• andkan7917
    andkan7917
    Community Member

Hi @Greg
    I am not sure what you mean with a "...iclude a link to this thread". How do I do that?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I am not sure what you mean with a "...iclude a link to this thread". How do I do that?

@andkan7917: Select the URL in the address bar and copy it (Ctrl C) and then paste it (Ctrl V) into the email. It's also possible to right-click the time stamp of an individual post to get the URL for that specifically. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Manaburner: Thanks for confirming! That's actually what we'd expect with the changes we've made in 7.1. The baffling thing is that we're hearing from some people who had no issues before 7.1 and now are. :dizzy:

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

@brenty I had issues during the v7 beta, but those were not related to VPN, but to a "firewall" application called TripMode. I was in discussion with @MikeT at that time. But I don't see that error since 7.1 either.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Manaburner: We have made several improvements in that area, so I am glad to hear that it works better for you now. :) Hopefully, we will find out what is going on with NordVPN now.

Thanks again! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Manaburner: TRIP MODE!!! They have that on Windows? :scream:

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

@brenty yes they do, but the app has not seen updates in a looooong time. I wrote a message to them about that and they say it was still in development. Whatever that means ;)

• andkan7917
    andkan7917
    Community Member

Hello @Greg
    I mannaged to send the email without attaching the diagnostic report. Sorry. I will send it again

• andkan7917
    andkan7917
    Community Member

Hello @Greg
    Then I think i mannaged to send what you asked. The support id is [#DLF-26227-524].

I am not sure if I uderstood you correcly what you needed, but I think I have sent you what you wanted. Sorry, but I am not that good in English.

Thanks

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @andkan7917,

Thank you for the report! I've found it on out side.

We will take a look and get back to you via email soon. Thanks again! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: UGX-92573-964

• andkan7917
    andkan7917
    Community Member

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1: