1Password 7 doesn't work with El Capitan? [requires macOS Sierra (10.12) or later]

Options
Nat Childs
Nat Childs
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Mac

My machine is ten years old and won't run anything newer than OS 10.11.6. I think I saw that 1Password 7 won't work with that system. Is that right? If so, bummer. I'm probably one of your first users -- have been using and loving it for years -- but can't yet afford a newer machine. As long as I can continue using my current version (6.8.8) I'll be OK but it would be nice to be up to date.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: OS10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1Password 7 doesn't work with El Capitan?

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Nat Childs

That is correct — we cannot support El Capitan in 1Password 7 for Mac. Maybe by the time it is through beta testing and released a new Mac will be a more realistic option. While staying on El Cap and 1Password 6 is an option, it is only going to be a realistic option for so long before the march of technology makes that impractical.

have been using and loving it for years

Gladto hear it. :)

All the best.

Ben

• bh444
    bh444
    Community Member
    Options

Boo. So switched to subscription to get latest versions. Oops. Need another $1500 for a new mac. Hopefully there is a commitment to at least keep 1Password 6 running and updated as long as El Capitan gets security updates for the next couple of months or a year or until Apple puts out a macbook with a decent keyboard. It is a shame that Apple won't let us run the new OS on these perfectly capable machines without some hack to trick it to do so.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

1Password 6 won't magically stop working just because 1Password 7 is released, but it also won't be updated for new browser versions or OS releases. If you continue using the same browser and OS versions you are today indefinitely, 1Password 6 will likely work indefinitely as well. And if there is a critical security issue that needs to be addressed in the near future, it will be.

• Tripp
    Tripp
    Community Member
    Options

I read that 1p7 works with a different vault format. Will 1p6 still be able to work using this different format? My tower will only run on El Capitan and hence will only be able to use 1p6. It will be a real drag if I have to switch to a new password manager because 1Password cannot bridge the gap. Is there some way that this can work?

Thanks,
    Tripp

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tripp: 1Password has supported the OPVault format for years. The only change is that 1Password 7 only supports the OPVault format for local vaults. You'll be able to use it in 1Password 6 too.

• David Gustavson
    David Gustavson
    Community Member
    Options

Can I get around this by using 1Password X in the Chrome or FireFox browsers under El Capitan?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@David Gustavson: Good question! It's irrelevant: you'll need to use a 1Password.com account with 1Password X, and that doesn't involve local vaults -- either AgileKeychain or OPVault -- at all. I hope this helps. But be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• ChrisKnight
    ChrisKnight
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Can you run 1Password 6 on one machine, and 1Password 7 on another, and still keep them in sync via a syncing to a shared folder?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ChrisKnight: If you mean a network shared folder, then no. Technically it's possible, but you'll hose your data when the share is offline. So it's something we wholeheartedly recommend against. But you can totally sync data between devices using other methods. 1Password 7 requires the OPVault format, but 1Password 6 supports that as well. Cheers! :)

• ChrisKnight
    ChrisKnight
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Your use of 'network shared folder' is vague. It doesn't mean the same thing it did before the age of Dropbox, and other folder sync services. I totally have folders that are kept in sync between machines using a network. In fact, that's #2 on the list you provided; it's just not a traditional SMB/NFS network share. :)

In the MacOS version of 1Password 6, in Preferences -> Sync, there is support for syncing to a folder. If this folder is kept in sync between multiple machines, using a tool like Dropbox, or Resilio Sync, then you can keep multiple copies of 1Password in sync. I've been using this method with my two desktop, and two laptop, machines for years.

My questions wasn't about my methods, though. My question is about product compatibility. Does 1Password 7 maintain compatibility with the sync to folder format used by version 6? Can I have three of my machines running version 7, and one running version 6, and still used the sync to folder method?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Your use of 'network shared folder' is vague. It doesn't mean the same thing it did before the age of Dropbox, and other folder sync services. I totally have folders that are kept in sync between machines using a network. In fact, that's #2 on the list you provided; it's just not a traditional SMB/NFS network share. :)

@ChrisKnight: A network share is, like it sounds, a folder shared over the network, being written to not on a local disk. I think that's pretty specific. From our Folder Sync guide:

IMPORTANT
    Only sync to a folder on a local or removable drive, like an external hard drive or USB flash drive. Syncing to a folder on a network volume, like a Time Capsule or other NAS, may cause problems if the device goes offline.

Dropbox stores all data on the local drive, so I'm not sure what that has to do with it.

In the MacOS version of 1Password 6, in Preferences -> Sync, there is support for syncing to a folder. If this folder is kept in sync between multiple machines, using a tool like Dropbox, or Resilio Sync, then you can keep multiple copies of 1Password in sync. I've been using this method with my two desktop, and two laptop, machines for years.

Like I said, if you're syncing to a local drive and not a mounted network drive, you'll be okay. That has't changed.

My questions wasn't about my methods, though. My question is about product compatibility. Does 1Password 7 maintain compatibility with the sync to folder format used by version 6? Can I have three of my machines running version 7, and one running version 6, and still used the sync to folder method?

Yes. As I mentioned,

1Password 7 requires the OPVault format, but 1Password 6 supports that as well.

Cheers! :)

• horatio86
    horatio86
    Community Member
    Options

my iMac doesn't support sierra, I had to reinstall El captain en 1password 6 - is their a possibilité to get 1password mini for 6 - for safari 11 ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@horatio86: You can get older versions of the 1Password apps from our update site:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/

And the old 1Password desktop extension can be downloaded from Apple's Safari Extensions Gallery:

https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C

Just keep in mind that neither will receive further updates, and Apple will be shutting down their gallery in the near future as well. Given that, and the fact that outdated OSes and browsers will not be receiving updates, including fixes for known security vulnerabilities, none of that is a good option long-term.

This discussion has been closed.