I upgraded to 1password 7 windows and cannot access my vaults - emergency please help ASAP!!!

Options

I upgraded to 1password 7 windows and cannot access my vaults - emergency please help ASAP!!!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I upgraded to 1password 7 windows and cannot access my vaults - emergency please help ASAP!!!

Comments

• gamma6
    gamma6
    Community Member
    Options

You're gonna have to provide a bit more information if you want any help.

• jbs
    jbs
    Community Member
    Options

I'm going to lazily repaste something I just posted in another thread. Assuming you've not deleted your old version, this should work to get you migrated:

_I'm sure the team will weigh in here shortly but since I just did the exact same process (1PW4 win to 1PW7 win) I'll let you know what worked for me. I too found it a bit tricky to figure out which steps to follow.

First off, if you're using Dropbox currently you probably have a folder in the Dropbox\apps\1password directory called something.agilekeychain. That's where your data currently resides. PKZip a copy of that folder (leaving the original in place) to somewhere else (a thumb drive, another folder, somewhere else on your Dropbox) and you'll know that whatever else happens you can always go back to the current version of your data.

Then you can install 1PW7 and set it up for whichever method of sync you want (I did Dropbox, it sounds like you're using the subscription). Once that's up and running, from inside the 1PW7 app, select the 1Password menu and then IMPORT. Select the .agilekeychain option and navigate to that same folder you zipped and it will pull all your data into the new vault. Within a few moments you'll see that same data in the web interface (depending on how much data) as it syncs from your local vault.

From that point you can then go and add your other devices and no importation is necessary, it will simply sync the data from the 1password.com account.

Good luck! All in all I'm very pleased so far with the upgrade. Much faster, better looking and I'm finding it easier to clean up some of the duplication that was created by an inconsistent browser/mini experience in 1PW4.

-Jason_

• @dgbuilder: As @gamma6 mentioned, it's difficult to provide any direction absent some additional detail about the trouble you're seeing. Are you having trouble importing your vault? Unable to unlock? Can you see your data but not fill it? A little detail will go a long way in helping understand your problem and get you some possible solutions. :+1:

And thank you for the paste @jbs! Helping at all is never lazy and we're quite busy right now so I'll never say no to any paste you'd like to share. As an FYI, though, when you import that vault, what happens is your data is copied to an AgileKeychain, then your old AgileKeychain is renamed to end with .agilekeychainzip, so in some ways you were doing exactly what we're doing for you. If you rename the folder to remove that zip bit, you can use that data again in 1Password 4 and other apps that support AgileKeychain. Regardless, your method should work just fine and I really do appreciate you taking time to share with others. :chuffed:

• jbs
    jbs
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate actually in my case at least it renamed it to [filename].legacyagilekeychain but in any case I always like to zip files before doing anything dramatic with them. Space is cheap and backups give me good peace of mind. :-) the legacyagilekeychain is still a folder, not a zip so I figure it's still more easily edited/changed whereas my manually created zip file isn't going to get changed by anyone other than me.

• @jbs: You're actually, right, it's old apps on Macs that get zipped. We're changing too many things and I'm losing track. 🙈The renaming trick remains valid, but having the proper name for the folder would definitely be helpful. Thanks for catching me on that one. :blush:

• dgbuilder
    dgbuilder
    Community Member
    Options

OK, so I was able to figure out my sync issues. I had to delete 1PW v4 in order to remove a conflict and then was able to sync with Dropbox. All good - UNTIL, I associated my windows version with my 1PW online account (actually, a team account) and I now have 2 copies of my personal vault (one local and one online). Can I just delete the local vault from 1PW7 and proceed? I tried searching the forum for an answer but I haven;t found anything that makes me comfortable. Any assistance is appreciated. I am only moderately technical so the more simple the explanation, the better for me. Thanks!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dgbuilder,

If you have all of your data in a Personal vault of your team account, you should be able to remove your local vault from 1Password 7 by right clicking on it in the side bar. Here is how it looks:

Let me know how it goes. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• dgbuilder
    dgbuilder
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. This is working much better for me now. Thanks. Is there any reason to keep the old vault or can I delete permanently? Is the dropbox sync folder no longer required?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks. This is working much better for me now. Thanks. Is there any reason to keep the old vault or can I delete permanently?

@dgbuilder: I think it's better to ask the opposite question: Is there any reason to delete it? I'd say probably not. It won't take up much space, and if you zip it up it will be out of your way, but there if you ever want it for whatever reason.

Is the dropbox sync folder no longer required?

I don't understand what you're asking here though. Can you clarify?

This discussion has been closed.