To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

"Membership" vs "Subscription" vs "Account"?

Options
markbot
markbot
Community Member

Sorry if these have been answered elsewhere:

1. Can someone please explain the difference between (or relationship among) a "membership," a "subscription," and an "account"?

I'm a licensed v6 user. I don't believe I have any of these things. Are they new?

1. I have a login, apparently outdated, to this site: https://agilebits.com/c/login

Among other things, my notes say that this site stores my license.

It it now a dead site? Should I simply delete the login? It redirects to: https://1password.com/

1. Where in Mac v7 is the user's data stored?

I presently store my v6 data in "1Password.opvault" on Dropbox (and thus on my iMac and MacBook). I sync my data to my iPhone.

If I upgrade to v7, do I discontinue using Dropbox? I'm thinking the answer is "yes" because you seem to have your own "cloud" storage.

Thank you in advance for answering.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi @markbot

Membership is a subscription service that we offer. A membership can have one or more accounts within it (e.x. Individual memberships will only have one account, but a 1Password Families membership might have many — one for each person in the family). Membership is a separate offering from our existing standalone licensing model (which it sounds like is what you’ve purchased previously). With licensing you’re purchasing rights to use one of the 1Password apps for a specific version (e.x. 1Password 6 for Mac). With membership all of the accounts in the membership get the right to use the latest version of 1Password on all of their compatible devices for as long as the membership is in good standing (i.e. the subscription is paid up).

We’re transitioning away from calling our company AgileBits in favor of using the 1Password name, and thus most links to the agilebits.com domain/website now point to 1password.com. We no longer run our own store, and so links associated with it (including https://agilebits.com/c/login ) have been retired. You can delete the login item for that.

Membership does indeed utilize the 1Password.com service to store data. Data is encrypted and cached locally on your device and then stored on 1Password.com. It is possible to instead purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7 and continue to store your data in Dropbox, but by doing so you miss out on what 1Password membership has to offer:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

What I would recommend is upgrading to a membership and using 1Password 6 to transfer your data:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Once you have done so you can easily upgrade to 1Password 7.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Can someone please explain the difference between (or relationship among) a "membership," a "subscription," and an "account"?

These are all related terms. If, instead of having a standalone license, you take a membership in 1Password.com, you will set up an account there, which will then contain your password data, instead of whatever method you have used before. You pay for your membership via a subscription, which is charged on a monthly or annual basis. If you have a membership, you have access to all of the applications for all versions of 1Password, your syncing is taken care of automatically, and you will receive all updates and upgrades without addition payments. If you stay with a standalone license, you will need a separate license for each platfomr you use, and each individual in the family wanting to use them will also need separate licenses.

These things aren't exactly new. Memberships were established about two years ago, well before 1Password 7 was released.

I'm not sure what to say about the web address you posted. It may well be where you had (have) an earlier membership, but I'm not able to comment.

Where in Mac v7 is the user's data stored?

This depends on how you use the application. If you buy a standalone license, instead of a membership, you would be in charge of where your data would reside, besides on your own devices. Users commonly sync via Dropbox or iCloud so they have access on all devices they use. That is what you are currently doing, by your own account.

But if you take a membership, you may shift your data syncing to 1Pasword.com, if you wish. It is simpler than Dropbox. (But maybe not that much, in my opinion - I have a single user membership, which I do like. But it doesn't simplify my actual daily use of the applications by much. There isn't anything special to set up, though.) 1Password 7 members may continue to use Dropbox or iCloud as before, but that wouldn't provide the benefits of the membership, and AgileBits discourages that.

I've probably neglected to say something you might need to know. This web page has more discussion of memberships:

https://support.1password.com/why-membership/

It's pretty clear that the AgileBits folks believe most users will be best served by having memberships, and their current setup screen for version 7 makes it easy to miss the fact that standalone licenses are even available for those who wish to buy them. They certainly are not advertised anywhere on their web site.

• Ben
    Options

Looks like @hawkmoth and I may have been typing at the same time. Thanks for chiming in hawkmoth. :)

Ben

• markbot
    markbot
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Ben and hawkmoth for your quick and comprehensive answers. I really appreciate your taking the time.

Ben, I take note that you're transitioning to 1Passsword.com. Interestingly enough, when I created a login so I could post a question here, the 1Password v6.8.9 window that popped up to save the new login offered the name "Agilebits."

I don't feel so bad about not being up to speed with the changes you've made, if the app isn't quite either. ;-)

I see from reviews here and there that the subscription/membership "model" (versus license) seems to be off-putting for some 1Password users who are licensees. (Evidently the ability to continue as a licensed user of v7 isn't so easy to discern?) It's certainly different, and I for one had no idea that you had been offering it for the past couple of years. Maybe it's just that we're used to something else. Anyway, it might be helpful in the future to "prep" the users for what is a pretty big change in they way you're doing business, with a periodic email perhaps. Personally I see some advantages to being a member and will give it due consideration.

Again, thank you both for your replies.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2018
    Options

Ben, I take note that you're transitioning to 1Passsword.com. Interestingly enough, when I created a login so I could post a question here, the 1Password v6.8.9 window that popped up to save the new login offered the name "Agilebits."

Yep; this forum is one of the few remaining holdouts. :)

I see from reviews here and there that the subscription/membership "model" (versus license) seems to be off-putting for some 1Password users who are licensees. (Evidently the ability to continue as a licensed user of v7 isn't so easy to discern?) It's certainly different, and I for one had no idea that you had been offering it for the past couple of years. Maybe it's just that we're used to something else. Anyway, it might be helpful in the future to "prep" the users for what is a pretty big change in they way you're doing business, with a periodic email perhaps. Personally I see some advantages to being a member and will give it due consideration.

Thanks for the feedback. In many (perhaps even “most”) cases we do not have access to an email address through which we can reach out to customers. For example, if someone had purchased 1Password 6 for Mac from the Mac App Store we have no record of that. Apple doesn’t share the details of any individuals who purchase through their App Stores with app developers such as ourselves. It does indeed make it tough.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.