Advice for a VERY hybrid user?

Options
benfdc
benfdc
Community Member

I have:

• AgileBits Store five-user family license (which is an all-uses license) purchased for 1P/Mac 3.1.3.
  • Mac App Store license purchased as 3.9 (which, like all App Store licenses purchased with personal Apple IDs, is for noncommercial use only).
  • 1Password for iOS license (ditto)
  • 1P/Mac beta
  • Wife's 2007 MacBook stuck at OS X 10.7 (Lion) so still running 1P/Mac 3.8 under the family license.
  • 1Password for Families subscription

Most of my and my wife's passwords still reside in our traditional, personal Dropbox-synced vaults, or in a shared secondary Dropbox-synced vault. I could conceivably transfer all of my stuff into a 1P/Fam subscription vault, but I prefer the way that attached files are handled in old-fashioned Dropbox-synced vaults, and my wife is locked into traditional for as long as she uses her MacBook.

1Password 7 has great new features, but $49.99 seems a lot to spend just to be able to continue to access my traditional vaults on my Mac given that I'm already shelling out more than that every year for 1P/Fam. Ditto for my wife should she ever upgrade her Mac, since I gather that the new licenses are single-user only.

Two things I'd like to see:

• An upgrade option for 1Password Family licenses.
  • Discounted 1P7 AgileBits Store licenses to 1Password.com subscribers.

—Ben

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• steven1
    steven1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @benfdc,

1Password 7 has great new features, but $49.99 seems a lot to spend just to be able to continue to access my traditional vaults on my Mac given that I'm already shelling out more than that every year for 1P/Fam.

If you already have a 1P Families subscription, the apps you have can also use local vaults. You just need to enable them in
    Preferences->Advanced->Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @benfdc! You can indeed use a 1Password membership alongside standalone vaults in 1Password for Mac, but for the best experience, and to make things easier to use in the long run, sticking with a 1Password membership only is what we recommend. I'm a bit confused by one thing though: If you have 1Password Families, why are you concerned about upgrading to 1Password 7? It's included for free. :)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @steven1.

@Jacob, you're confused because I was confused about the ability to use Dropbox-synced vaults with only a subscription. But I've since learned that 1Password 7 is a moot issue until I upgrade the OS on my Mac, which is still running El Capitan.

—Ben

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

Also, a scan of the forum leaves the impression that 1Password 7 for Mac ought to have stayed in beta for a while longer. But maybe it’s time to upgrade to Sierra.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Now that I've upgraded from OS X El Capitan to macOS Sierra, 1Password is inviting me to update to 7.0.4.

I clicked Remind Me Later as I want to give 1P7 a little more time to settle down.

Meanwhile, is there a way that I can continue to receive patches and updates for 1P6?

• Ben
    Options

We are no longer updating 1Password 6 (with the possible exception of security related patches if required). If you’re judging the health of 1Password 7 based on the forum posts here... I’d mention that we have millions of 1Password users. Even 1% of those having difficulty can look like a major problem. People don’t come and register for an account and post here because they aren’t having trouble. ;)

In the 10 years that I’ve been here this has been the smoothest launch I’ve ever seen.

Ben

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the perspective, @Ben. I'm glad to hear that the launch of 1P7/Mac looks comparatively smooth on your end. But I'm happy to hold off a bit longer, at least until anguished cries along the lines of "⇧⌘C is broken!!!!" die down. Did I mention that I only just now updated my Mac to Sierra? (Not High Sierra. Sierra.)

Now that I think about it, I suppose that I would have been enjoying [sic] 1P7/Mac betas for some time if I had already been running Sierra. That no doubt saved me some aggravation, but it also cost me the opportunity to give you feedback during the beta period, and cost you the opportunity to benefit from my feedback.

Coulda woulda shoulda.

—Other Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@benfdc: Hey, (Other) Ben! Honestly, either way it's good to have the feedback. There are always opportunities for improvement — as you know. :)

As an added perspective, I'll just say that I know (AgileBits) Ben wasn't suggesting that there aren't issues: we're scrambling to reply to everyone faster, as we're not able to respond as quickly as we'd like our our customers deserve at the moment; and, adjacent to that, there are issues that need to be addressed in version 7. Heck, we've already released 4 minor updates in that spirit. Nothing "major", but that doesn't really matter because for a person running into any issue, it means they need either a) support from us, b) a software fix, or c) all of the above. With the 20/20 hindsight of previous launches we share, this has gone much more smoothly than. But again, we still need to do better, for you and everyone else that depends on 1Password.

It sounds like you may have found your sweet spot though, and I can't argue with Sierra given that you're still getting security patches there. High Sierra is pretty nice and, for me at least, more reliable than Sierra, especially given the five updates it's received since last autumn. Looking forward to Mohave...but I don't think I'll be running the beta on my main machine. Cheers! ;)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben and @brenty:

I've mentioned this elsewhere but it fits here too. Notifications of updates to 1Password 7 are starting to get on my nerves. I'm not running 1Password 7, so these aren't updates; they feel like you're nagging me to upgrade.

Apple doesn't pester me to upgrade to High Sierra every time it pushes out an update. It just notifies me of updates to Sierra. To me, that's just good manners, and I would like 1Password 6 to exhibit the same.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. :) I understand your perspective.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@benfdc: I hear you, but I think we can agree you're a bit of an outlier. :) The vast majority of update-related support requests we get are along the lines of "Why wasn't I offered an update?" To this day, we hear that from 1Password 3 users! 1Password 4 was a paid upgrade, so we notified people of it but made this clear and let them disable future notifications for it. Years later, after they'd long forgotten about this, they contacted us wondering why they were multiple major versions -- and years -- behind: why hadn't we told them? There are many other examples of difficulties opposite the one you're experiencing, and to help combat those and offer people upgrades when they're entitled to them as part of a 1Password.com membership I do think it's important that it works this way. I'm sorry that it can be a nuisance for you in your relatively unique situation, but it's important that we do what's best for folks who are less savvy and could easily get stuck otherwise. That said, we'll continue to evaluate our options with feedback from you and others. Perhaps we can find a way to make it easier for you in the future without leaving others behind too. :)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

As I think more about this, I do want to receive 1Password 7 update notifications. I'm sure that I am not alone in holding off on upgrading to version 7 until a number of issues are resolved, such as the bug that interferes with use of 1Password 7 in multiple user accounts on one Mac. How will I know when these bugs are resolved unless I am notified of new releases?

Ergo, if I were able to disable notifications of Version 7 updates I would not exercise that option, although I'd still like to have the option. But this only heightens my belief that notifications of updates to Version 6 should be issued in a way that makes them stand out, and that there be clear instructions on how to update Version 6 without inadvertently upgrading to Version 7, just as I can easily apply an update to macOS Sierra without inadvertently upgrading to High Sierra.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Ergo, if I were able to disable notifications of Version 7 updates I would not exercise that option, although I'd still like to have the option.

I don't know if this idea is useful to you, @benfc, but you could use preferences to disable the notifications that keep popping up, but then occasionally go to the 1Password menu and select the option to check for updates. That approach worked for me when I was briefly delaying the upgrade to 1Password 7.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

...and:

How will I know when these bugs are resolved unless I am notified of new releases?

You could check, from time to time, the release notes.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@benfdc: I don't have a better suggestion for you than what Stephen_C and hawkmoth both mentioned already, but I did want to chime in to mention that the Safari WebSockets/Fast User Switching issue is something we're continuing to work on for those still affected.

ref: apple-1428

This discussion has been closed.