Possible to have an item in both Private and Shared vaults, so a change updates both?

Bmuse
Bmuse
Community Member

Hello! Is it possible to have a single login item exist in multiple vaults, so that changing it from one vault will update the change in the other?

I have a few shared logins that I keep in both my Private and Shared vaults (because it's easier not to switch vaults for just a couple of items). But I've realized that when I change the password from my Private vault, the shared item doesn't update.

If not possible, maybe it's feasible as a feature request?

Thanks,
B

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Subscription

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Bmuse

Is it possible to have a single login item exist in multiple vaults, so that changing it from one vault will update the change in the other?

No. 1Password is vault-based, not item-based. You can create a new vault and share it with any combination of folks you like, and you can copy a password from one vault into another. But when you copy an item in this way, you wind up with two independent copies of the item, which do not sync across the vaults, as you've discovered.

We are looking into ways to accomplish this, but it's not as easy - or as advisable - as it might seem. The vaults have different encryption keys, and the items do as well, so syncing them across vaults isn't easy. You can also see any item you have in any vault if you switch to the All Vaults view: use the vault menu in the top left of the main 1Password window, and set it to All Vaults. You'll be able to view/use any item from either vault without having to switch.

• Bmuse
    Bmuse
    Community Member

Very helpful. Thank you for the clarification!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Bmuse - glad I was able to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.