Hotkey for copying passwords does not work in 1Password 7

forsgren
forsgren
Community Member

The handy shortcut for copying passwords (command+shift+c) does not seem to work in 1Password 7. This really puts a dent in my productivity.

https://support.1password.com/copy-passwords/

What's up with this?

(1Password 7 might actually be the most frustrating update so far 😕)

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• appleianer
    appleianer
    Community Member

I had the same problem with the shortcut.

The problem is probably if you haven't entered a user name. I added it to my account and could copy the password with the shortcut. Maybe it'll help with you.

• forsgren
    forsgren
    Community Member

Nope, that's not it. No matter what item i target with the shortcut no password is copied.

• forsgren
    forsgren
    Community Member

Updating to 1Password 7.0.1 seems to have redeemed this issue half way - items with user names copies just fine.

Items with only passwords does not.

• appleianer
    appleianer
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

It's still the same for me.
    Since I don't need a user name in a few accounts (Mac apps, system settings), I simply entered my first name there.

Since I start my Mac apps as well as the user password (app installation, system settings etc.) via autofill, comparable to the browser/Web autofill, I had to use this little trick.
    I hope that this will be fixed with an upcoming update.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

Hi @forsgren & @appleianer,

The new feature may need some tweaking. As you might know (or maybe you don't) we added a couple of extra shortcuts. The idea was:

1. ⌃⌘C - copy the username to the clipboard.
    2. ⇧⌘C - copy the password to clipboard.
    3. ⇧⌃⌘C - copy the current TOTP code to the clipboard.

If the username is missing what is currently happening is they all shift up one. So instead of ⇧⌘C copying the password the shortcut ⌃⌘C is. The idea was very neat but maybe we need to reign it in a bit and have it stop ignoring empty fields as well need consistency in the shortcuts if they're going to save us time.

ref: apple-1429

• appleianer
    appleianer
    Community Member

thank you for your feedback @littlebobbytables 👍
    I solved it for me with (⌘⇧ C) a fictitious username and it works very well for me.

• forsgren
    forsgren
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables (kudos for the handle ;) ) Yes, for the love of cthulhu, make those shortcuts consistent. "I wanna copy the password" should always have the same shortcut. (that goes for the primary vault hotkey as well… hint hint ;) )

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @forsgren,

Just in case I'm missing another place where 1Password is being a bit weird, can you elaborate on the primary vault hotkey one please. I want to make sure we catch all the places where we think 1Password is making odd choices.

• forsgren
    forsgren
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables Basically: Since forever my primary vault (synced via iCloud) has resided on command+1, my other vaults (synced via Dropbox) has been on command+2 and command+3.

Since 1Password 7 the primary vault is all of a sudden on command+3 (can't even begin to explain how often I've saved in the wrong vault now..) and the Dropbox vaults are on command+1 and command+2.

First of all: The primary vault really always should be on command+1.

Secondly: The hotkeys for each vault really should be possible do define manually. Not via the very "hacky" method (that doesn't work in 1Password Mini) described in https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/434428/#Comment_434428 (also my thread)

• bdeane
    bdeane
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

I was having the same issue with records that didn't have usernames where suddenly I couldn't copy the password anymore.

Please get the team to change it back. I don't want to remember different shortcuts for different records. ⇧⌘C should always copy the password, period.

• bdeane
    bdeane
    Community Member

Now that I think about it, why not give us the ability to customize our own shortcuts? Is that on the roadmap?

• rix1
    rix1
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables Thank you for explaining the bug. I like the idea behind the new shortcuts :+1: Another thing I notice is missing is visual feedback on what item is copied. I don't remember exactly how this was prior to 7, but I think the field blinked or something. To quote Nielsen:

The system should always keep users informed about what is going on, through appropriate feedback within reasonable time. :glasses:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

@forsgren: I'm not a fan of the new vault ordering either and thank you for confirming the details.

@bdeane: I'm not aware of any plans to make all or the majority of keyboard shortcuts modifiable. I suspect the vast majority of people will be happy if we just make the existing ones a bit more consistent.

@rix1: I get Alerts when I use the keyboard shortcuts for copying and they at least do reflect the actual field copied rather than the keyboard shortcut. So in a Login with a username ⌃⌘C shows as copying the username whilst in a Login item without it shows as copying the password. Do you not see this?

• rix1
    rix1
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables Oh, I see – the previous «copy hint» (fields flashing in 1PW mini before closing) has been replaced with a native macOS notification. It's a fair solution for when you have notifications enabled, but I had it in «do not disturb». That way, I loose visibility of system status just because I don't want to get notified of external distractions (iMessage/Slack notifications etc).

It's a nice thought (displaying system status in notifications), but I think the previous solution was slightly better :smile:

• forsgren
    forsgren
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables " I'm not a fan of the new vault ordering either" as in "We will improve this soon" or "Well, let's just accept it"?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

@forsgren: It's genuinely a "my personal preference is in line with yours" but I genuinely have no idea what may happen in this area. I hope we can do something that improves matters but equally somebody might decide we're sticking with it. Partly it will depend on what kind of feedback we see. If it's just you and I that think it could be better than I don't fancy our chances.

@rix1, it's a shame macOS doesn't allow you to allow a particular app to work in do not disturb. I do like DnD because some apps are constantly wanting to ping you but even with it enabled maybe there are one or two where it would be handy if they could even in DnD. I suppose we went with the notification because the shortcuts work even if you can't see the item details so that approach works regardless of whether the item details are visible.

• vin047
    vin047
    Community Member

I concur with @forsgren and others who have experienced this issue - the keyboard shortcut for copying a password (from whichever category, whether its Login or Password for instance) should be consistent. Definitely been a major productivity killer.

@littlebobbytables thanks for the explanation on why this happens and how to workaround it for the moment - but I really hope the AgileBits team quickly reverts back to the previous behaviour. There are definitely others who've experienced this issue, eg: https://reddit.com/r/1Password/comments/8mq5bn/1password_mini_is_almost_useless_in_1password_7/dzpktnu/

• arifb
    arifb
    Community Member

Please make copying a password always be ⇧⌘C like 1Password 6. Not trying to be harsh but don't see how anyone can think it's a good idea to make it change based on the category/login.

My 2c.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @vin047! Thanks for weighing in on this issue. :) If you and/or @arifb are not yet updated to version 7.0.4, please do that, and then see if that has any effect on the behavior for you. :)

• vin047
    vin047
    Community Member

Hi @Lars, thank you for the warm welcome.

I've updated to 7.0.4 (restarted for good measure) but not experienced any changes.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@vin047 - I'm sorry; I misread what you were looking for -- this behavior isn't likely to change any time soon. This was a conscious decision to make the switch from the old way of doing it to the new. As littlebobbytables mentions above, the feedback we receive on this issue will help determine what changes get made, so thank you for registering your wishes. :)

• rfk
    rfk
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

How could anyone possibly think that randomly changing which hotkey copies the password was a good idea? Please, for the love of god, the one import thing about hotkeys is consistency. I am using the keyboard precisely because I want a fast and repeatable way to access certain features.

Changing the effect of a hotkey in such a way completely prevents me from using muscle memory which is precisely the point of such a hotkey.

• bajandude
    bajandude
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

+1 for bring back consistency in hotkeys; I should't have to know if an entry has a username or not to know which hotkey combo I need to copy the password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @rfk! Thanks to both you and @bajandude for weighing in on this feature. :+1:

• vin047
    vin047
    Community Member

Hi @Lars, thanks for getting back to me. I've since reverted back to 1Password 6 - 1Password 7 is just not compelling enough to use with the hotkey change sadly :( (I also found the user interface slower, but thats a different topic...)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@vin047 - Thanks for letting us know. Your license for 1Password 6 for Mac will continue to work forever, but although 1Password 6 for Mac was recently the current version, we don't recommend you stay on it indefinitely, as it will not be receiving any further development attention.

• vin047
    vin047
    Community Member

@Lars I have a 1Password Family subscription. Will that still work indefinitely for 1Password 6?

Understood. Of course i'd love to use the latest version but as stated, the hotkey change is too jarring for me. Unless you've explicitly gotten more feedback in support of the change, I really do hope you take into account my and others negative feedback regarding this change - and revert it.

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@vin047

Of course i'd love to use the latest version but as stated, the hotkey change is too jarring for me. Unless you've explicitly gotten more feedback in support of the change, I really do hope you take into account my and others negative feedback regarding this change - and revert it.

While we certainly do take your feedback into account, just like we take into account the feedback of everyone who takes the time to contact us and share their views/wishes/experience with 1Password, I can't really offer any insight into what if any changes will be made. Any software product with a user-base larger than a few thousand users (which ours definitely is) is big enough that virtually any decision about UI or feature changes will elicit applause from some folks and a hearty two thumbs down from others. It's the nature of the beast. What we try to do is take the steps that we think will benefit the greatest number of users, along with any actual feedback we receive from users, and make the best decisions we can, knowing we're not going to be pleasing everyone.

That's why I replied to you as I did: because I don't want to pretend I know whether any changes will be made at this point, or give you false hope that they will -- because it's simply too early in the process and those decisions are AMPG™ (above my pay grade) anyway. If the changes in UI we've introduced are deal-breakers for you, we'd certainly like to know it (and you've already let us know), and you're welcome to continue using 1Password as you have in version 6. Having said that (and here again, I don't have any idea when such a thing will happen), because 1Password 6 for Mac is no longer in active development but 1password.com memberships are, there will indeed come a time when 1Password 6 for Mac will no longer work with 1password.com accounts. So I guess that makes the answer to your question "Will that still work indefinitely for 1Password 6?" a yes: you will be able to use your 1password.com account in 1Password 6 indefinitely...but not forever.

• markjreed
    markjreed
    Community Member

I would like to add my voice to the chorus requesting the return of consistency to the hotkeys. I have been struggling to figure out why I couldn't copy my password items to the clipboard with shift-command-C since upgrading to 1P7. I can't understand at all the logic of changing what field gets copied based on what fields are present. The password is the password is the password.

• Thanks for chiming in here @markjreed.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.