Personal 'primary' vault and a work vault are combined in 1Password. How do I separate?

nikywoo
nikywoo
Community Member

I have a personal and a work vault combined and I log in with 1Password to access both vault. I want to separate them out. Having a unique '1Password' for each vault. How do I do that?

I paid for my subscription around 18+months ago and want to revert to having it separate from my work vault - as work doesn't allow sync'ing via the cloud - therefore personally I don't have accurate information across all my devices.

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:multiple vaults how to separate

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @nikywoo! In standalone 1Password, each vault does have a separate password, but you cannot open them individually in the 1Password app because we're "1Password," not "1Password for each vault you have." Instead, the first vault you create or add to the app after installation also serves as your Master Password, which unlocks all subsequent secondary vaults.

If your office blocks access to 1password.com, then you will not be able to use a 1password.com account there. In that case, your options get very limited and somewhat problematic if you want to have your "work" items available to you at the office and also available elsewhere. How are you planning to sync the data in such a case?

• nikywoo
    nikywoo
    Community Member

Hi - I don't want the data sync'd.

I just want 1password for a work vault and 1password for my personal vault.

How do I remove my personal vault information from my work vault?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nickywoo -- you can create additional vaults in 1Password 6 for Mac using File > New Vault and then move your items over.

However, although that will separate your data into "work" items in one vault and "personal" items in another, it won't allow you to sign into only one vault at a time. You'll still sign into all vaults using your Master Password.

• nikywoo
    nikywoo
    Community Member

If I have two computers - both mac's.
    One is work and one is personal
    I want 1Password for work vault that is only accessible via that mac only, and a 1password for my personal vault that sync's via iCloud and is accessible to all my additional personal devices.

How do I do that?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nikywoo: iCloud only works with the Primary vault, so if you want to sync your work vault with iCloud and you're already using iCloud for your personal 1Password vault, you'll need to use a different iCloud account on that Mac. So it might be better/easier to use Dropbox sync for the work vault, or to not sync it at all. How does that sound?

• nikywoo
    nikywoo
    Community Member

@brenty - I have two vaults under 1password and I want them separated.
    1password per vault.

how do I do this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

@nikywoo: Separated how, if you already have two separate vaults setup? Can you be more specific about what you're trying to do? As lars mentioned earlier, "the first vault you create or add to the app after installation also serves as your Master Password". You can't have more than one Master Password which unlocks the app. That's sort of the point, and why we call it "1Password".

• moxiegirl
    moxiegirl
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

I have a similar issue. I had a personal 1Password client on my Mac. The Company has a 1Password team account cloud setup. When the company provided me information for joining the team 1Password on the cloud and accessing the company vault, the process of joining the team pulled in (automatically) all my personal passwords under a vault called Private. This vault appears as Primary in my 1Password Desktop client.

Of course, I want my personal vault to be personal and not attached to the Company cloud account. On the Mac client I've changed the All Vaults > Preferences setting as this:

There doesn't appear to be a way to remove the automatically created Private vault containing my personal passwords from the Company cloud account. This is troubling, as:

• The 1Password account is attached to my work email, NOT my personal email.
    • Presumably the corporate admin has access to my account and all its vaults.
    • I do not have permissions on my Company account to remove the Private vault --- the message on the vault home is "This vault doesn’t have any permissions to edit."

How do I remove this *Private* vault from the 1Password cloud team account for my work?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @moxiegirl! Sorry for the confusion just now (and thanks for being a 1Password user!) :)

In the image above, "Primary" is the vault you have had for your personal items. It's a standalone vault (meaning: only on your local machine, and requiring manual sync if you wish). The other two vaults are indented, meaning they're a part of your 1Password Teams account from your company. The Private vault is your vault for your personal work-related passwords, such as your individual company credentials and any other data that's unique to you specifically at your company. The "Team" vault appears to be your company's Shared vault, which others in the company can see/use (you may need to contact your team's administrator to learn the specifics of who can see/edit/use the "Team" vault).

If you have been using a standalone setup for 1Password on a computer you own, then joining a 1Password Teams account should not import your data from your Primary vault into the company. There are ways to do that, but it doesn't happen automatically. What I'd like you to do is look at the main window of 1Password and use the vault menu (upper-left corner of the window) to select your Primary vault instead of All Vaults. Do you see your personal (non-work) data there? Now switch to your Private vault. What do you see there? (Don't post any personally-identifying information in this public forum; I just want a sense of whether your private-life data is still in Primary, or it's been moved (or copied) to your Private vault as well.

• moxiegirl
    moxiegirl
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

If you have been using a standalone setup for 1Password on a computer you own, then joining a 1Password Teams account should not import your data from your Primary vault into the company. There are ways to do that, but it doesn't happen automatically.

I have been using the standalone client exclusively, yes. There was a prompt during the connection to the team account, but the prompt involved removing my primary vault from the local configuration. Not something I selected.

It may be the installation prompted me to exclude some vaults from the connection, if there was it wasn't clear to me in your UX. Keep in mind; I was in a work situation with a lot going on. If there was indeed a prompt during installation, I missed it or misconstrued it.

Your team may want to consider separating the population of a local vault to the cloud from the cloud initial setup. That would slow down the UX of the cloud installation and avoid conflating the two actions --- and potentially inadvertently causing this issue for someone with a pre-existing 1Password standalone installation. I certainly have found the product to be pretty cleanly designed as standalone, it would be nice to see the good design extended to this experience.

Do you see your personal (non-work) data there? Now switch to your Private vault. What do you see there?

I did this exact comparison before creating my original post. If they hadn't been copied, I wouldn't have posted eh. :-) To reiterate, my local Primary vault with my personal passwords was copied into the Private vault in the cloud. All 800+ entries, I use the product a lot. :-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@moxiegirl - thanks for the clarification. To clarify something for you:

Presumably the corporate admin has access to my account and all its vaults.

No. (S)he does not. The ONLY way even the person listed as Owner (i.e. - full admin rights plus billing rights for the 1Password Teams account you belong to) could see any data you place in the Private vault of your 1Password Teams account would be if (s)he were to put your 1Password Teams account through the Recovery process, commandeer your company email account to be able to receive the recovery email addressed to you, and use that to create a new Master Password and Secret Key for your 1Password Teams account that (s)he could then use to sign into your account. Otherwise, nope. 1Password takes your security and your privacy very seriously. The above process is possible, but unless you suspect your admins of accessing your email account without your knowledge, then deleting the evidence that you were sent a recovery email, they would need your Master Password to be able to sign in as you and see the data in your Private vault.

To solve this, you can switch to your 1Password Teams Private vault, select all of the personal items you copied over from your Primary vault, and move them to the trash. Then, you can empty the trash, and you'll be back to having only your work items in your Private vault. Before you trash them, it'd probably be a good idea to make sure you didn't change/edit any of the items, just to be sure. Let us know how it goes! :)

• moxiegirl
    moxiegirl
    Community Member

Ok, I'll backup my local install and try your suggestion.

To be clear tho, I didn't intentionally copy any of my passwords. The application was to give me access to a Company vault. By going through that process, the Primary vault was unintentionally uploaded -- unintentional shouldn't happen with a security/password application. Think GitHub deleting a repo...if I elect to do something that is potentially damaging or insecure, the process should confirm my choice.

Absolutely possible I was moving fast and missed something, unlikely I was total dunce newb. I've used your app with team vaults in the past and didn't encounter this. That experience was pre Cloud app. You may want to bring this up to your Product Manager or UX team. Clearly, it would be beneficial to make this bit smooth if you plan corporate accounts.

I'll let you know how it goes.

• moxiegirl
    moxiegirl
    Community Member

Ok. Your cloud application does not provide a bulk Move to trash option. I have over 800+ passwords. So, the solution is this:

1. Select password
    2. Choose edit
    3. Choose move to Trash

800+ times? Is that correct?

• moxiegirl
    moxiegirl
    Community Member

Just a suggestion, but could I have my 1Password admin remove my user. Then, install again?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@moxiegirl

Your cloud application does not provide a bulk Move to trash option.

That's correct. Since you're posting in the Mac forum and the screenshot you provided was for 1Password for Mac, so were my instructions. If you do this on whichever Mac you made that screenshot from, you can either command-click or even command-A your choices, and do this much more quickly.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@moxiegirl

could I have my 1Password admin remove my user. Then, install again?

If you can prevail upon your 1Password Teams' account's admin to remove you as a user, then re-invite you -- and you're willing to go through that entire process of replying to the email, creating an account, signing into it in any 1Password apps you use (mobile or desktop), then sure. Your admin may have his/her own reasons for not wanting to delete and re-invite you, but that's between you and him/her.

If you meant just signing out of your 1password.com account in your own copy of 1Password, then signing back in, that won't change anything; you'll just see the same data when you sign back in again. If it were me, I'd use my Mac to quickly select and trash those personal items from within the Private vault of my 1Password Teams account. That seems like less work to me than becoming a member of the same account from scratch again, but it's up to you.

• moxiegirl
    moxiegirl
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Hi Lars, thanks. The issue was that the Private vault was populated with my personal passwords. The Team vault was still just team. Since I could not delete the Private vault in its entirety from my company cloud account, I would have had to delete the individual Private > entries which were 800+. Now, my admin reset. I have my standalone 1Password with my personal pwds and the cloud vault contains the team shared pwd. Perfectly happy customer now.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@moxiegirl - glad to hear things have worked out!

For anyone else reading this thread with a similar issue, however, it is more than possible to bulk-delete items in either 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows, by the method I described above. :)

• moxiegirl
    moxiegirl
    Community Member

Like I said, deleting in bulk from the standalone Mac version was not my issue. Certainly, tho, people with that problem will find the information useful.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.