A couple of issues with the new 1Password Mini

I recently upgraded from 1Password 4 to 1Password 7, and I've observed some issues when using the new 1Password Mini.

• It will take anywhere from 5-25 seconds for the menu to appear when I click the icon in the taskbar? Sometimes I have to click it multiple times to get the menu to appear (although that could just be impaence). Doesn't seem to matter if 1Password is locked or unlocked.
  • If I am copying out multiple items from 1Password mini (e.g. a password and a one-time password), I have to open the mini menu multiple times and it seems to always default to the "all items" tab. Would it be possible for it to remember where I was previously (e.g. on the last record I copied from) so that I don't have to search multiple times?

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It will take anywhere from 5-25 seconds for the menu to appear when I click the icon in the taskbar? Sometimes I have to click it multiple times to get the menu to appear (although that could just be impaence). Doesn't seem to matter if 1Password is locked or unlocked.

There are definitely performance optimizations we need to make, but that does not sound even remotely normal. I'm glad you got in touch. Were you experiencing similar issues with 1Password 6? What are the specs of this machine?

If I am copying out multiple items from 1Password mini (e.g. a password and a one-time password), I have to open the mini menu multiple times and it seems to always default to the "all items" tab. Would it be possible for it to remember where I was previously (e.g. on the last record I copied from) so that I don't have to search multiple times?

We're not going to change that. And before you're aghast, that's because 1Password mini is due for a redesign. I think that would be a great opportunity to make it remember where you left off for a short time. It can be tough to find a sweet spot for stuff like that though, so I think our main focus should be on making it easier to get the stuff you need in the first place. Thanks for bringing this up!

• Shadowen
    Shadowen
    Community Member

There are definitely performance optimizations we need to make, but that does not sound even remotely normal. I'm glad you got in touch. Were you experiencing similar issues with 1Password 6? What are the specs of this machine?

I went directly from 1Password 4 to 1Password 7 without ever using any versions in between. I migrated from a dropbox-synced local repository to an online repository using a shiny new 1Password account when I upgraded.

My system is pretty decent. Here is a summary of my specifications:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz 33 °C
    Skylake 14nm Technology
    RAM: 32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1071MHz (15-15-15-36)
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS VIII HERO (LGA1151) 42 °C
    Graphics: 34UC89G (2560x1080@144Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti (EVGA) 54 °C
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti (EVGA) 47 °C
    ForceWare version: 398.11
    SLI Enabled
    Storage: 1863GB Western Digital WDC WD2003FZEX-00Z4SA0 (SATA ) 37 °C
    447GB INTEL SSDSC2BB480G6 (SATA (SSD)) 33 °C
    Optical Drives: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224FB
    Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio

We're not going to change that. And before you're aghast, that's because 1Password mini is due for a redesign. I think that would be a great opportunity to make it remember where you left off for a short time. It can be tough to find a sweet spot for stuff like that though, so I think our main focus should be on making it easier to get the stuff you need in the first place. Thanks for bringing this up!

No worries. This probably won't be as big a deal to me when 1Password mini starts performing a little better and becomes a little more responsive. I'll be interested to see the design changes around 1Password mini in future releases.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Shadowen: There is a performance issue that we are investigating at the moment, so thank you very much for reporting this. Could you please specify what browser are you using? Does the issue remain in a different browser?

If we have any updates on this issue, I will keep you posted. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• Shadowen
    Shadowen
    Community Member

I use Chrome (latest version) as my browser, and I have observed some similar performance issues there as well, however this is specifically referring to invoking 1Password mini from the taskbar for use outside a browser.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for clarifying. The performance should be the same in both cases since the 1Password executable is handling 1Password mini regardless. I can't offer a time frame, but we are working on some changes under the hood to optimize things, which should help a lot once it's ready.

This discussion has been closed.