Touch ID doesn't work on macOS Mojave beta 2 [update to 10.14 Beta 5 for resolution]

mujtaba_mir
mujtaba_mir
Community Member
edited July 2018 in Mac

My TouchID seems to not work on the new beta 2 of mojave.
Can this be looked into?

ref: apple-1658

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

I have discovered that I really like Touch ID on my MacBookPro14,3. One of the big reasons is the discovery that I hardly ever have to type more that two dozen characters just to unlock 1Password. Loved it since last October.

Today I upgraded to Mojave beta 2 about 4PM and discovered that the 1Password6 Preferences>Security panel will not allow checking of "Allow Touch ID to unlock 1Password". The panel asks for my password and gives no error upon entry, but the box is not checked.

Apple obviously made lots of changes between beta 1 and beta 2. I closed three bugs within minutes of booting beta 2.

1Password 6
    Version 6.8.9 (689001)
    AgileBits Store

Would you want a diagnostic report?

Of course you would. I sent it.

Note that the diagnostic app does not say what files have incorrect permissions. It is really difficult to grant permission for permissions fix to unknown items. I have been too well trained to sign a blank check.

• @mujtaba_mir,

Thanks for the heads up, I can confirm that beta 2 of 10.14 breaks Touch ID support in 1Password 7.

Rudy

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

And also in 1Password 6. I'm guessing you used similar (or the same) code in both versions.

• NSUser
    NSUser
    Community Member

Just started happening for me too. I'm running 1Password 7 on the macOS 10.14 developer beta (which I initially assumed was the problem). Worked fine on beta 1, but after updating to beta 2 last night I can no longer unlock via TouchID.

• @xz4gb8,

The code is pretty different between the two versions. I wouldn't rule out a bug on Apple's side at this point, but since 1Password 7 has been released any fix on our side would come in the form of a 1Password 7 update.

Rudy

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

By similar code, I was references APIs, not proprietary agilebits code.

Is it worth submitting a bug report to Apple? Should I wait until you look at [#NLB-78354-523] 1Password Diagnostics Report?

Thanks.

• @xz4gb8,

There are two separate APIs used by v7, the LAContext api for doing the actual Biometry and the Secure Enclave symmetric key for protecting the unlock data. version 6 only makes use of the LAContext API and a secondary non-Apple method for protecting the unlock data.

I would definitely file a radar with Apple so that they're aware of the issue. I have started investigating why version 7 is having trouble. My guess at this point is that something changed in the LAContext internals that was an unintended regression on their part.

Rudy

• mujtaba_mir
    mujtaba_mir
    Community Member

Is there a timeline when a beta will come out?
    Miss the touch id.

• @mujtaba_mir,

Apple tends to do them on a weekly or bi-weekly schedule, I believe.

Rudy

• mujtaba_mir
    mujtaba_mir
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Thanks rudy, I am well aware of that. Should have been clearer. I meant the new beta for 1P with the fix for this TouchID problem, or this is something in the beta only that broke 1P?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018

Hi @mujtaba_mir,

We don’t typically schedule our updates, preferring to have the flexibility to release them when they are ready (and not before). We’ll be pushing for a fix. Many on our team rely on the convenience of Touch ID as well. :)

Ben

ref: apple-1658

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

The original report from @mujtaba_mir was 1P version 7.0.4. My report was 1P version 6.8.6.
    This suggests Apple may have done something to the LAContext API.

My only real view is from the 6.8.6 Preferences Pane where the Touch ID box refuses to be checked, but everything else in 1P6 works as usual.

Was the [#NLB-78354-523] 1Password Diagnostics Report useful?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@NSUser - yeah, when it comes to OS betas, we don't warrant 1Password to work correctly there, since often changes come up that DO break this or that feature/behavior. That said, it should work...but there aren't the same kind of guarantees or testing history with this new a version like there is with a stable build. So, while we're thankful for the report and we'll definitely look into it, if you need 1Password (or anything else, for that matter) to function at its most-reliable (and supported!), it's better not to run OS betas. I'm guessing you probably already know this well -- but for anyone else reading this thread, this is one of the potential pitfalls of living on the bleeding edge. Thanks again for reporting! :)

• AdrianNabarro
    AdrianNabarro
    Community Member

Just adding myself to the list of users who have seen this issue on macOS 10.14 Beta 2. Please let me know if I can help with debugging.

• mujtaba_mir
    mujtaba_mir
    Community Member

Hi @Ben. Many thanks for the reply. Fair enough. Deep down hoping that it is a 1Password issue so it gets rectified quickly unlike Apple who will take ages (next beta will come out in 2 weeks or so). Life without TouchID on 1P isn't pretty. :)

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018

Hi folks,

I’m sorry that we don’t have a more imediate solution but I’m confident we’ll be able to come up with a solution.

Thanks.

Ben

• This discussion was created from comments split from: Touch ID not working for 1Password after MacOS reinstall.
  • dst87
    dst87
    Community Member

1Password no longer allows me to unlock using TouchID, either in the main app or in the mini browser extensions (mainly Safari, but also Firefox).

Unhelpfully, I cannot remember exactly when this started, but I'm fairly sure it was when I updated to Mojave beta 2. I was running beta 1 previous and had no problems.

Tried fully quitting and restarting 1Password. On the TouchBar of my MacBook Pro it does show a greyed out TouchID logo next to the unlock button.

Just letting you guys know in case there's a fix I've not worked out or so you can fix it, though I'm 99% sure it's not your problem and Apple have just broken something.

Happy to provide any additional diagnostics/screenshots/information if it helps.

Cheers!

1Password Version: 7.0.5.BETA-0 (70005000)
    Extension Version: 4.7.1
    OS Version: macOS 10.14 Beta 2 (18A314h)
    Sync Type: 1Password Membership

• mikeormerod
    mikeormerod
    Community Member

I've filed a report to Apple on this also.

• Howdy! We’ve merged a couple of threads here. Please see above. :)

Ben

• dst87
    dst87
    Community Member

Damn, sorry @Ben I really thought I'd searched the forum for this issue before posting, but obviously not! 🤦🏼‍♂️

• No worries. Happens to the best of us. :)

Ben

• AndyWJ
    AndyWJ
    Community Member

Hi, just for completeness, I wanted to add my voice to those who are missing the use of Touch ID in the Mojave public beta and very keen to see its function restored. It has been one of my favourite features since I got my new MacBook Pro. Hope we will see it working again soon.

• @AndyWJ,

We'll see what Mojave Beta 3 brings with it.

• ccMick
    ccMick
    Community Member

Just to be clear, we're expecting this to be fixed for 1Pw 6 as well, because it's an OS issue? On the other hand, if it's something that will only be fixed in 1Pw 7, I'll finally move over :)

• @ccMick,

:+1:

Mojave beta 3 should hopefully arrive soon at which point we'll know which of those two scenarios will come true :)

• dst87
    dst87
    Community Member

New iOS beta out this evening, but no Mojave beta. 😡

Not that I'm impatient or anything... 😂. I'm amazed I haven't changed my master password to something much less secure just so I can type it faster.

• @dst87,

I've heard some were able to get beta 3, but it doesn't seem to be presenting it to me yet. They may have found an issue and pulled it from distribution.

• holgr
    holgr
    Community Member

Mojave beta 3 is available if you want to check again. :)

• @holgr,

I did, and it doesn't.

This discussion has been closed.