Minimize on copy to clipboard

Hi, In April of this year I decided to go to 1Password 6 and the subscription model. After I installed 6 I noticed that at least one option that I felt was very useful was missing. That was the minimize on copy to clipboard option. I decided to wait a little bit to see if version 7 would come out. Now that it is out, I noticed that option is still not there.

Are there any plans to add that option back in to 1Passowrd?

For me its annoying to keep having to minimize the app manually when I copy the password to the clipboard.

Alex

1Password Version: 7.0.558
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey, @asandor! Honestly, I don't think we've given that feature much thought as copying passwords is more mini's territory than the main app's. Rather than opening the main application, searching, then clicking the copy button, you can go through the same process in mini and it will automatically dismiss itself once you've copied your password. Press Ctrl + Alt + \ to bring up mini, type to search, right-click the Login item and click the copy icon next to Password. This will work even better once we're able to add keyboard shortcuts to mini. What's more is mini will remember what item you were using when you next bring it up, so if you need to copy an OTP or anything else, you'll find that item waiting for you at the bottom of mini's item list when you bring it up again. Is there a reason you don't use mini for this purpose? If this feature is something others are missing too, we may need to give it some more thought. :chuffed:

• asandor
    asandor
    Community Member

Thanks for the response, I know about the mini app, I just really never used it. Guess old habits are hard to get rid of. I'll take a look at it.

Thanks

• @asandor: They really and truly are, and I'd wager there are some I'll never break. I hope using mini works well for you, but if you find yourself still missing copying from the main app, let us know. I don't believe we have plans to add this setting now, but rarely is anything set in stone. :+1:

• asandor
    asandor
    Community Member

Sorry to restart this thread, but I've played around with the mini app and for me the mini app doesn't work for games. I keep all my game passwords in 1Password and the mini app while I'm at the login for the game won't recognize it so won't send the pasword. So I have to open up the full app and copy the password, but then since there is no minimize on copy to clipboard the app stays in the foreground and I have to manually minimize it.

I've also noticed that 1Password 7 does not lock the app after 30 seconds like I have it set to. On one of my systems I have a problem with the screensaver that I am still trying to figure out what is wrong with it. On that system when I use 1Password (not the mini app) it never locks itself after 30 seconds. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the screensaver isn't activated on that system.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry to restart this thread, but I've played around with the mini app and for me the mini app doesn't work for games. I keep all my game passwords in 1Password and the mini app while I'm at the login for the game won't recognize it so won't send the pasword. So I have to open up the full app and copy the password, but then since there is no minimize on copy to clipboard the app stays in the foreground and I have to manually minimize it.

Indeed, this is a limitation of the current design. 1Password simply cannot "see" some window classes. I can't promise it will work with all games, as a lot of them do some pretty weird stuff. But being able to fill in apps other than browser is something we'll be focusing on as we develop the Auto-Type feature in the future.

I've also noticed that 1Password 7 does not lock the app after 30 seconds like I have it set to. On one of my systems I have a problem with the screensaver that I am still trying to figure out what is wrong with it. On that system when I use 1Password (not the mini app) it never locks itself after 30 seconds. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the screensaver isn't activated on that system.

Indeed, while it's not going to be the screen saver itself, they're connected: 1Password is tracking system idle time, and so is the screen saver. So if you have input devices or apps which are keeping the system active (not at all uncommon for gamers!) then 1Password will not lock; it's still waiting for the system to be idle long enough.

• asandor
    asandor
    Community Member

Thanks for the answer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! We're here if you have any other questions. :)

• smaersh
    smaersh
    Community Member

Bumping this thread too, I still have to have Keepass to do my autotyping (didn't know you guys were working on that, any progress?) and it's so nice to just double click a field in keepass and the whole app minimizes to the system tray.

• Blake
    edited February 2020

Hey again @smaersh 👋

While we can't divulge any information as to the specifics of what's in the works, I can say that you should definitely keep your eyes peeled. This is not something we've forgotten about. 😊

• smaersh
    smaersh
    Community Member

😁

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@smaersh: :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.