1Password not syncing via iCloud anymore

lock
lock
Community Member

Hi guys, I've sent a support request last week, via the app support form, but still didn't receive an answer. So I'm trying here:

I have the following versions of 1Password:

• version 6.8.9 for Mac Os (10.13.5)
  • last iOS version for iPhone and iPad

I've noticed that sync don't work anymore between devices. All three are supposed to sync via iCloud and, of course, they're all three connected to the same iCloud id. All three show no errors during starting sync (they say, synced x seconds ago) but records are not updated.
On iPad I see records I've deleted on Mac. Any change is not taken on iPad (or iPhone)

What can I do?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @lock,

I’m sorry to hear you’re having some difficulty with iCloud. The best I can recommend here it taking a look at this guide:

If you're having trouble syncing with iCloud | 1Password

I hope that helps!

Ben

• lock
    lock
    Community Member

Hi Ben and thanks for your answer. I'm trying an iCloud reset, as all the other methods didn't solve the problem, but I'm getting this error:

Any idea?

• lock
    lock
    Community Member

The message says "Can't reset iCloud data, There was an error during iCloud data reset".

• lock
    lock
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Update: I was able to solve the issue

Looking for the string error on Google, I found a pair of threads on this forum with the same problem. All of them mentioned "iCloud Drive" and it turned out I only had it enabled on my iPhone but not on Mac and iPad.
    Enabling it on the other devices I was able to reset iCloud data** and now everything is correctly syncing.

So, it seems the sync method was changed some time ago (from you or from Apple) and never got any message about the fact my devices weren't syncing anymore (the sync page of every device showed a smooth-less sync. I don't want to use iCloud Drive, nor I need it but it seems it's now somehow necessary to 1Password (I have the AgileBits store version, not App Store one, no idea if there's any difference).

I suggest you to update that help page with a note about it.

** Well, I was able to delete iCloud data from iPad, despite the fact iCloud Drive wasn't active. But I needed to enable it to re-activate the iCloud sync again. The message about it wasn't clear at all, good luck I heard about "iCloud Drive" on this forum, or else I would have been totally confused.

• Thanks for the update! Our guide on troubleshooting syncing via iCloud does mention the iCloud Drive requirement:

https://support.1password.com/icloud-troubleshooting/#step-3-check-icloud-settings (Step 3)

This has been a requirement since 2014 / 1Password 5, so I’m not sure how you would’ve been able to sync since then without it. In any event, I’m glad to hear things have worked out and you are back up and running. :)

Ben

• lock
    lock
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Our guide on troubleshooting syncing via iCloud does mention the iCloud Drive requirement

Oops, right, I missed it. :pirate:

This has been a requirement since 2014 / 1Password 5, so I’m not sure how you would’ve been able to sync since then without it

That's interesting, maybe it was 4 years I didn't realise it wasn't syncing. After all most of the password I use didn't change for years.
    Thinking better I sometimes realised something wasn't updating but I was trusting the "synced since X seconds". It's only when I carefully checked that found the issue. :)

Anyway many thanks Ben for the help. :)

• You're very welcome. :)

Ben

• BoxCar
    BoxCar
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

I (too) have been using 1Password 6 on a Mac server machine with NO iCloud account since its release. After upgrading my desktop to 1Password 7, the 1Password 6 app on the server still says it is syncing and shows sync and backup but the actual account passwords are not syncing.
    Item count 1P 6 946
    Item Count 1P 7 1010

I’ll add that installing and activating the license for 1P Mac on the Mac server was a mess. Crashed. Crash report email prompt that couldn’t be dismissed or sent. No way to enter the license. Just a real mess. I can see the writing in on the wall (in Day-Glo ALL CAPS) how important stand alone licenses are to 1P. Duly noted.

Added iCloud and reset 1P 7 on server.

Why would 1P 6 say it had synced via iCloud 6 seconds ago if that wasn’t the case??? Seems an error would be in order here.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2018

Hi @BoxCar,

Unfortunately in this case it is likely that 1Password had done its part, and can only assume iCloud did its, which would explain why 1Password showed a “last synced” time even though iCloud had not actually processed the data. If iCloud isn’t enabled on the computer of course it can’t sync your 1Password data. Difficulties like this with 3rd party sync services is are one of the primary motivations for building 1Password.com, where we control the whole process from end to end. With 3rd party services it is a bit of a black box. This has improved over the years, with more robust APIs becoming available, but no 3rd party service offers the level of integration that we’re able to achieve with a 1st party solution.

I’m sorry to hear you had trouble adding your license. We’d be interested in figuring out why that happened. Could you please send us an email to support+forum@1password.com from the email address you submitted the crash report from? Please post the support ID that you get back here.

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.