After 1Password 7 update Chrome Extension no longer connects

Options

I've reinstalled 1Password 7, I've reinstalled the Extension, I've reinstalled Chrome (probably overkill) and cleaned any associated application cache / settings post uninstall.

The extension is grayed out in Chrome, it pops up black and then goes gray again every once in awhile. The plugin will launch 1Password if it is not running, but it doesn't appear under Connected Browsers nor under Refused Connection Attempts in 1Password.

The 1Password logs are recording an error:

NativeMessagingBrowserListener[0-9]: Pipe state length read error.

1Password Version: 7.0.558
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: Windows 8.1 Enterprise
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:chrome extension gray

Comments

• DroolingDonkey
    DroolingDonkey
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - any ideas?

• @DroolingDonkey: I see you're using an Enterprise version of Windows, so I'm assuming this is a corporate PC? If so, do you know if any Group Policy settings or security software installed that might restrict the use of native messaging? I've heard of companies disabling it entirely, although uncommon, and while the error isn't terribly helpful in isolation, it does indicate a problem with the native messaging connection between extension and app.

• DroolingDonkey
    DroolingDonkey
    Community Member
    Options

Yes. But we haven't made any policy or security changes that we know of. Interestingly, if I uninstall the desktop app, the browser extension will generate a pairing code for the software. If I install the desktop software, the extension goes gray and no longer attempts to connect.

• peri
    Options

Hi @DroolingDonkey. Can you go to Help > About Chrome and verify that there are no pending updates?

• DroolingDonkey
    DroolingDonkey
    Community Member
    Options

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DroolingDonkey,

Could you please try to do the following:

1) Make sure that you do not have an old version of 1Password 4 for Windows installed on your computer. If you do have one, please uninstall it.

2) Install the latest version of .NET Framework 4.7.2 from here.

3) Reboot your PC.

Does the issue with Chrome extension remain after that?

Thanks in advance!

++
    Greg

• DroolingDonkey
    DroolingDonkey
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. I've done as requested, and the problem persists. Good news, though. It is limited to my user profile. I created another user account and installed 1Password 7 and the Chrome extension and it worked wonderfully. Now to figure out where things are going sideways in my profile (creating a new one really isn't an option).

• MikeT
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi @DroolingDonkey,

Do you have a space and symbol in your user's profile name? If yes, it's a known bug in Chrome where it can't launch a Native Messaging pipe with both symbol and space included in the path. There is no fix for this, Chromium has an open bug report for a few years and we don't think they will ever fix it.

We're looking into alternative method where you can create a symbolic link (mklink) but this won't work in 1Password 7 because we update the Native Messaging registry entries automatically with your profile name.

• DroolingDonkey
    DroolingDonkey
    Community Member
    Options

I don't. My profile name is FirstInitialLastName, no non-acsii characters or anything like that. I've removed items from the registry, from the AppData folders for both 1Password, Agilebits, and Chrome. I did a fresh install yesterday with no change.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @DroolingDonkey,

In that case, we'll need your 1Password diagnostics report to see what it could be. Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• DroolingDonkey
    DroolingDonkey
    Community Member
    Options

The email has been sent as requested - thanks!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @DroolingDonkey,

I don't see anything yet, did you get an automatic reply from our BitBot? If yes, it should have a support ID# in it, can you tell me that ID, so we can find your email.

Thanks!

• DroolingDonkey
    DroolingDonkey
    Community Member
    Options

I've not received anything back yet.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @DroolingDonkey,

Can you resend it to this address: support@1Password.com. Let me know if you got any responses back.

• DroolingDonkey
    DroolingDonkey
    Community Member
    Options

Done about 20 minutes ago. I've not received anything back yet.

• DroolingDonkey
    DroolingDonkey
    Community Member
    Options

Still no reply. I am getting forum discussion update emails...

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @DroolingDonkey,

Can you try emailing without the diagnostics report? I'm wondering if your email service is blocking it because of it?

• DroolingDonkey
    DroolingDonkey
    Community Member
    Options

Figured it out: AQC-19839-626

• MikeT
    Options

Awesome, we got it and will reply to your email as soon as possible.

ref: AQC-19839-626

• gkostera
    gkostera
    Community Member
    Options

Any update?

• @gkostera: These issues are often fairly specific to the individual experiencing them. A common problem when encountering extension issues is interference from third-party software and, of course, we all have different stuff installed on our PCs. If you're having trouble with the extension, we've published a guide with some common solutions here:

https://support.1password.com/extension-troubleshooting/

If nothing there helps, I'd recommend sending your own diagnostics report like Mike described in this thread. If you let us know your support ID, like the OP did here, we can make sure we take a peek ASAP. Thanks! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.