Upgrading from 1password 4 to 1password 7 family...

1200gs
1200gs
Community Member

Thanks for your help in advance !

1. I am running 1password4 on Windows 10 machine. My other device is an Iphone 6+.

2. I signed up for a 1password7 family subscription on the web site.

3. Am I correct that I now need to import my 1password4 data to the new 1password 7 account ? ... and then uninstall 1password4 ?

4. Can you direct me to any articles which would detail this process ?

Richard

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• 1200gs
    1200gs
    Community Member

Hello,

1. I downloaded and installed 1password7. I used the same master password I have been using for 1password4 for 1password7.

2. I opened 1password7 and tried to import my 1passwor4 data and got the screen in the attachment to this text. I used the 1password4/1password7 password, but it would not accept it.

3. I understand that I will need to uninstall 1password4 when I have completed my import of data.

I am stuck...

Richard

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@1200gs: What type of file are you trying to select there? Is it maybe a 1PIF export? It's weird to me that there's a date. What format is your existing vault? It sounds like you probably just need to follow the rest of this guide if you've already signed up for an account:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

But let me know either way!

• 1200gs
    1200gs
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply. I believe what I did in searching for the vault folder is go to the back up folder and try to use a data file from there. Where does 1Password store my 1Password vault data ?

• @1200gs

The default location is %USERPROFILE%\Documents\1Password, which refers to the 1Password folder within your Documents folder for your Windows user account. The exact path will likely look like C:\Users\1200gs\Documents\1Password.

There should be either an Agile Keychain or OPVault file/folder there.

Thanks.

Ben

• 1200gs
    1200gs
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Ok, I was able to locate the correct vault data for import. Remember I have 1password 7 installed and have not removed 1password4. I used the same master password setting up 1password7 as I am using in 1password4. The attachment shows that the import dialogue box is not taking my password... help !

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@1200gs: Hmm. I think either you're mixing up vaults and using the wrong Master Password, or there are some special characters there that are tripping things up. Does any of that ring a bell? We always recommend using only ASCII for compatibility. Let me know what you find!

• 1200gs
    1200gs
    Community Member

Hello… My master password is ASCII compatible, thanks for having me check. Again when I set up my 1Password 7 account I used the same master password as I am presently using in my existing 1password4 account. I understand that once I have imported my data from 1Password4 that I will need to uninstall the program. As you can tell from the screenshot it appears that I am almost there. Both 1password 4/7 still except that my one master password. It appears to be only this import data dialog box that will not.

If we cannot figure this out, is there a way that I can back out of signing up for the 1Password 7 account and start over ? That way I would use a new and different master password for 1Password 7.

• rob
    rob
    edited June 2018

Hi, @1200gs.

It wouldn't help to start over with your new account. You're able to sign in there from what I can tell, so that part is working fine. It looks like the only holdup is this import from 1Password 4.

Since the screenshot doesn't quite show everything, could you copy and paste the entire field from step 1 here in a comment? This is the part that starts with C:\Users...

• 1200gs
    1200gs
    Community Member

Hello again,

1. I am using the same master password for versions 1password4 and 1password7-families. I can get into version 7 just fine, but cannot import version 4 private vault data. The dialogue box gives me an error msg (See 4th attachment). Again, I understand that once the version 4 data is imported into version 7, I will have to uninstall version 4.

2. I follow the file path- ThisPC/C:/Users/rkont/documents/1password and find a folder which has the correct file type extension. My concern is that this folder is dated 4/24.17 and I have been using 1password4 on a regular basis these past two month. One would think the the date modified would update along the way.

3. I guess I have to ask, do you think this is the correct folder/file location for my 1password4 private vault data I am trying to import ? I do store all my files on Onedrive as well as my PC.

Obviously, I have run out of expertise on my part......any help would be appreciated as I want to begin to use 1password7 families.

Thanks....

• Hey @1200gs. You mentioned that you still have 1Password 4 installed, so we can just check there which is the correct path. Please launch 1Password 4 and select Preferences > General. What path do you see in the 'Vault' field? Is that the same path you're selecting when importing in 7?

• 1200gs
    1200gs
    Community Member

OK, below is the path I found using your instructions. Is this the path I should use in getting my 1password4 private vault import for 1password7 ?

C:\Users\rkont\Dropbox\Apps\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain

• @1200gs Yep! It looks like you've been importing another vault from your Documents folder. You'll want to choose this one from Dropbox instead. Let us know how it goes!

• 1200gs
    1200gs
    Community Member

It worked !… Am I correct to assume that I now must uninstall 1Password4 to avoid conflicts with 1Password 7 ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@1200gs: That's recommended, yes. You don't need to do anything with the extensions, as they're the same for either app. But uninstall 1Password 4 from Windows Settings so they're not both trying to connect to the browser. ;)

Anyway, glad to hear that you were able to get up in running in 1Password 7, and we're here if you have any other questions about the new app. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.